thanks for everyones input!
I might be getting a horse!! He doesn't need a companion right away, as he needs love and attention for himself..
but here is my plans:
the field is rectangular more than square.. I thought we could have a small paddock/pen about 1/6 size of the whole property. With, the shelter in there. That would be the winter/fall paddock.
Then, the pasture would be the rest. For the spring/summer.
There will be a gate into the paddock, from the pasture.
- will have access to pasture, and to pen area.
- the gate will be open, into fall/winter pen, as will be fed hay there, and shelter is there.
- stormy, wet days, will be left in pen, so doesn't wreck pasture.
- if pasture needs some regrowing, will limit grazing hours.
- will get regular exercise, at least 5 days a week
- kept in pen, so doesn't wreck field.
- will be let out on field for a couple hours a day for a big run.
- get regular exercise at least 3-4 days a week.
How does that all sound? Good? Bad? Okay? suggestions?