11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
| || |
Hi again all, and thank you for the warm replies! It’s nice to hear from well established people in the horse community letting me know I was at least in the ballpark on my design.
The building dimensions are:
20x24x10 Barn Area, 2 overhead doors, 2 windows, 4 windows in main o/h door
12x30x10 Hay Shed
10x24x10 Covered Loafing Shelter
10x10 +/- stalls and tack locker is 10x8.5 roughly
I did all the boards in the barn with Thompson’s Water Seal nutmeg tinted. This is not a highly toxic product and only gets one coat. My concept was that any crap that gets on the walls is going to be an easy scrub off and so far it’s great. My boys are not chewers/cribbers so I’m also lucky there.
The mats I’m using are ¾” rubber with grooves and they do not lock. They fit very snugly together so far, hubby cut them around any corners quite easily, and I intend to drill holes in the stall areas to accommodate drainage into the gravel underneath. A project for this snowy weekend in the forecast.
Yes, it is a pole frame structure and with the insurance money (which is never enough!) I hired a local company to erect it. I also hired local talent for my water trenching, gravel base, a skid steer fellow to do the leveling and an electrician to wire us up. It made sense to me to hire this out.
We also put in 3000’ of post/rail fencing in this summer, six days spouse and I with the help of a post hole pounder that I rented (the tractor bucket worked just as well for this task in the tight corners).
I plan to work at splitting up the pasture next year to manage growth and feeding areas. We also disked/harrowed/seeded with Viterra horse pasture mix this summer because I had fabulous fertilized ground following the fire and the old barn contained a lifetime of cow/lama/sheep manure that got spread across the land. I took that as a prime opportunity to fix my field.
One only other drawback I can think of is that I do not have a door to my hayshed. The cost was just to much to consider when I was mapping it out, quoted me around $3k!! And the build was $22k total for the post frame alone so we scrapped that thought and hubby will probably just frame it in and put another o/d door in for next year. Today it is sporting a less than fashionable tarp for a door but hey, it works.
There you go, that’s my long winded reply for the day!