Building an Arena/Putting in a Barn - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Building an Arena/Putting in a Barn

This is a discussion on Building an Arena/Putting in a Barn within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree10Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-29-2014, 01:58 PM
      #11
    Super Moderator
    If you are building an arena then you need to be sure you get it right.

    For what it costs I would have the area trenched to about 2 feet, trenches about 8 feet apart, doesn't matter if they go long ways or across as long as they go to the outside of the arena and fill these with a smallish stone. This will drain if necessary. On top put your gravel, roll it well and then put in a membrane. This stops weeds growing up through and the stone from coming up through the sand.
    Then put on the rubber and if you want a surface that doesn't move get rubber strips rather than granules. These strips that we get in the UK are from car surrounds and are anything from 2" - 6" in length. They hardly move at all even with lungeing. Makes maintenance negligible.

    Chains dragged over if fine but if the surface moves then the only way to get it off the sides without spending a fortune on a machine, os with a shovel.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-29-2014, 02:25 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    What part of Oregon are you looking at? The soils, climate, and thus footings vary WIDELY. For instance where I am at, we get 9 inches of rain per year and have very volcanic sandy loams and loamy sands. For my arena (and most of my neighbors') the rocks are cleared out, brush taken out, and done! However, there are areas od caliche, areas with slick clay, and areas with too deep of sand throughout Oregon.
         
        06-04-2014, 01:07 AM
      #13
    Started
    Thanks for the advice guys! This is southern oregon, not sandy soil unfortunately, it seems more of a loamy/clay mix. I have decided to just go with a sand arena, with about 3.5 inches. Rubber can be added if needed. They get about 12 inches of rain each year, fairly spread out.

    For the barn building, does anyone know of any good two stall barn plans? With an attached feed and wash stall? The barn would also have to hold the hay, an atv, and tractor, plus some shop space, off to one side. Unfortunately, we won't be able to build a separate barn for the hay, but we will put up a couple fire sprinklers and build a "fire wall", separating the horses and hay/atv/tractor space.
         
        06-04-2014, 02:59 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Ahh, yeah the clay/loam will hold moisture for the arena.

    I think you can actually Google free barn plans and then modify them from there. It all depends on if you want to build it yourself or have someone else do it. If you'll be storing hay I'd look into a metal building for the exterior, cheaper than brick or block and fairly fire resistant. I like the idea of a firewall, being you'll have to keep the hay near the horses.
         
        06-14-2014, 12:18 AM
      #15
    Started
    Any opinions on covered wire fencing and favorite brands? It is either that or no climb. The covered wire looks nicer, is much easier to install, and is a little cheaper, so I am leaning towards that, but the no climb is safer... the no climb or round pen panels would definitely be used for runs.
    Horseychick87 likes this.
         
        06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Is the covered wire woven/ tied or welded? If it's welded don't bother as the welds won't hold for very long with horses around.
    Also the covering, I'm guessing some sort of vinyl, will crack and break off in the sun over time, exposing the wire underneath anyways.

    No climb would be your better bet honestly. So long as it's tied/knotted and not welded.

    As a side note, be careful with the round pen panels, make sure they are horse panels and not stock panels. Horse panels are straight across the top to prevent the horses getting a leg caught in them. Stock panels have a rounded edge where the panels connect to each other, where legs can get caught at the top and cause severe injuries.
         
        06-21-2014, 09:39 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
    If you are building an arena then you need to be sure you get it right.

    For what it costs I would have the area trenched to about 2 feet, trenches about 8 feet apart, doesn't matter if they go long ways or across as long as they go to the outside of the arena and fill these with a smallish stone. This will drain if necessary. On top put your gravel, roll it well and then put in a membrane. This stops weeds growing up through and the stone from coming up through the sand.
    Then put on the rubber and if you want a surface that doesn't move get rubber strips rather than granules. These strips that we get in the UK are from car surrounds and are anything from 2" - 6" in length. They hardly move at all even with lungeing. Makes maintenance negligible.

    Chains dragged over if fine but if the surface moves then the only way to get it off the sides without spending a fortune on a machine, os with a shovel.
    Regarding the weeds...a good anti-emergent in granular form spread and watered in works wonders.
         
        06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
      #18
    Foal
    We did a lot of research and are building a shedrow barn. It has (2) 12x12 stalls with 12x12 walk outs (1) 12x24 run-in and a 12x16 feed and tack room on a slab, a 50 foot diameter covered and lighted round pen and a "arena'ish" area of 120x200.

    This thread is very interesting as we are in the midst of trying to decide what to do for soil in the arena area. Looks like we're going to be hauling in a lot of sand for the arena and round pen. Our underlying soil drains very well so that's a plus.
    Horseychick87 likes this.
         
        06-22-2014, 11:36 AM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STT GUY    
    Regarding the weeds...a good anti-emergent in granular form spread and watered in works wonders.
    Great point! You may have better luck if asking for a "pre-emergent" though
         
        06-22-2014, 03:53 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karliejaye    
    Great point! You may have better luck if asking for a "pre-emergent" though
    Yep, that's what its called. Pre-emergent. WTH did I get "anti' from? We put it down three times per year. Nice thing is it is absolutely harmless to plants already present and its non-toxic to animals. We have very little rain here and control our run-off so doesn't end up in any places it shouldn't.
    karliejaye likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Arena Building hjequinetraining Farm Forum 2 01-08-2012 12:34 PM
    Barn/Arena building advice? cdfd1999 Barn Maintenance 9 07-10-2011 10:54 PM
    building an arena Cobalt Farm Forum 6 03-10-2011 06:46 PM
    Putting on weight while building muscle? drafts4ever Horse Health 25 08-11-2010 12:33 AM
    Building an ‘Arena’... Britt Horse Talk 7 08-30-2009 09:06 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0