Creative (ie cheap) Hay Storage Ideas
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Creative (ie cheap) Hay Storage Ideas

This is a discussion on Creative (ie cheap) Hay Storage Ideas within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Ideal Hay storage sheds
  • Hay storage garage

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-28-2011, 12:05 PM
  #1
Weanling
Creative (ie cheap) Hay Storage Ideas

Ok, so my hay is currently stored in our garage. Apparently not the safest place to store hay as people tell me it can start fires easily and if sucks because our 3 car garage is now a 2 car garage then turned into a 1 car with the tractor stored in there.

We are "poor" due to mortgage/horses so I'm wondering if anyone out there has some good inexpensive hay storage ideas. We live on a hill so it's very windy here. My husband is not a horse person and he's been very patient so far with my brilliant plan to bring the horses home without a real barn (we have run-ins) but winter is coming and his car would really like to be in the garage too!

Any thoughts?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
  #2
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySerenity    
Ok, so my hay is currently stored in our garage. Apparently not the safest place to store hay as people tell me it can start fires easily and if sucks because our 3 car garage is now a 2 car garage then turned into a 1 car with the tractor stored in there.

We are "poor" due to mortgage/horses so I'm wondering if anyone out there has some good inexpensive hay storage ideas. We live on a hill so it's very windy here. My husband is not a horse person and he's been very patient so far with my brilliant plan to bring the horses home without a real barn (we have run-ins) but winter is coming and his car would really like to be in the garage too!

Any thoughts?
I work on a big barn and a little barn, our big barn uses a metal shed for hay storage, which has over 2000 bales year round. The little barn just has one of those cheap 200 sheds that look like a giant dog house lol
Never had any problems with hay fires and I live on the sc coast hot hot hot summers and cold cold winters :)
     
    09-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  #3
Showing
The horses don't need to be inside as long as your fencing allows them to bum up against a building out of the wind. They'd rather do that anyway. Some people buy those plastic shelters and set the hay on pallets. If you have hay on the garage floor the moisture will soon have it rotting.
     
    09-28-2011, 05:41 PM
  #4
Yearling
I have a garage full of hay stored on pallets. I heard that a rich hay such as alfalfa is combustible, but otherwise grass hay is OK stored that way with ventilation.
     
    09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
  #5
Trained
Pallets and good quality tarp might be an option.
NorthernMama, AQHA13 and BCtazzie like this.
     
    09-28-2011, 05:49 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
I have a garage full of hay stored on pallets.
That makes me feel better, I'm not the only one! I'll get some pallets to help prevent molding etc. I didn't think of that. Thanks

     
    09-28-2011, 05:59 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Hay is liable to combustion when it hasn't been dried thoroughly, or is put away green.

If it was properly dried, you should be fine with it in the garage.... just keep oil, gas, and other flammables away from it (Obviously) as it can also contaminate the hay (again, Captain Obvious here).

By putting it up on pallets, you also keep it from getting wet, and it stays up off any previous "garage floor dirties".
iridehorses likes this.
     
    09-28-2011, 10:19 PM
  #8
Trained
You can "salt" your hay as well. Between layers of the small square bales, throw some pickling salt over it. Helps to keep it dry and the horses love it. This year I have used free-running iodized salt as an experiment. Haven't used much hay yet though, so it's too soon to tell if it makes a difference what kind of salt is used.
     
    09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama    
You can "salt" your hay as well. Between layers of the small square bales, throw some pickling salt over it. Helps to keep it dry and the horses love it. This year I have used free-running iodized salt as an experiment. Haven't used much hay yet though, so it's too soon to tell if it makes a difference what kind of salt is used.
Interesting! Makes sense. Maybe I'll pull those bales apart and put some salt down. How much is "some"? A handful? Storing in the garage is new for me, just need a reserve supply with the shortage this year.
     
    09-29-2011, 01:13 AM
  #10
Green Broke
We don't have any building to store hay so we just stack it outside with tarps over top. We are going to get a portable garage/carport to put it in for the winter. They run about $400 to $500.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best CHEAP hay storage solution WildAcreFarms Horse Nutrition 13 07-20-2011 02:05 PM
tack storage RebeccaMI Horse Tack and Equipment 7 06-22-2011 03:56 PM
Needing some creative ideas! heart2horse Horse Riding Critique 0 05-14-2011 06:44 PM
Time to buy some storage tubs..... mlkarel2010 Horse Talk 1 07-22-2008 10:51 PM
Horse Storage Bin Ideas ? ? ? ? ? liam Horse Talk 8 02-22-2007 02:51 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0