I had researched it and decided to do this in my barn this winter. My horses are only stalled at night, they are on pasture during the day. It's a cold, drafty barn and I wanted to add as much heat and save as much on bedding as possible, so went for it. By the end I was honestly wishing I had never got started with it. My mare has had a chronic thrush problem since I got her, and although I was liming/bedding her stall twice as heavy as the others, her feet continued to get worse, and my pony whose feet were perfectly clean also got thrushy. After a month I stripped the two girls stalls out, and just left the boys deeply bedded, and by 6 weeks I couldn't handle it anymore. No matter how deep the shavings, when the boys would lay down the old stuff from underneath would leach through and give them wet, yucky spots on their haunches. Stripping the stalls after they are bedded that way makes it entirely not worth it, to me, the sheer amount of waste bedding hauled out is so time consuming, it's easier for me to pick stalls every day and strip once a week, which is what I have now gone back to with all four of mine. It just never did feel very clean. I understand the premise of deep litter, and I know I've used it successfully with chickens, but I wouldn't go that road with my own horses again.