Electric Fencing questions - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Electric Fencing questions

This is a discussion on Electric Fencing questions within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Generic Form of Electrobraid Fencing
  • Generic electrobraid

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
  #11
Showing
Mine will come close enough to the fence where you can reach over and pet their head but the only one that will actually put his head over the fence is my Percheron.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-18-2010, 09:00 PM
  #12
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
I was skeptical at first, but I've really come to like the electric rope fencing. It's easy to put up, not expensive, and you can put the posts pretty far apart. 5+ years without any escapes.
how far spart does it call for and how far apart do you have yours?

And how many strands?

I might just do one but I guess the 2 strands just look more attractive lol
     
    10-18-2010, 10:17 PM
  #13
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg052003    
how far spart does it call for and how far apart do you have yours?

And how many strands?

I might just do one but I guess the 2 strands just look more attractive lol
We went 25 feet, but if you have flat land you're supposed to be able to go 50 feet without a problem. Also, we went with 2 strands only because a friend of ours had young horses that liked to roll near their fence and would actually wind up rolling under one strand (sigh).
     
    10-18-2010, 10:26 PM
  #14
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
We went 25 feet, but if you have flat land you're supposed to be able to go 50 feet without a problem. Also, we went with 2 strands only because a friend of ours had young horses that liked to roll near their fence and would actually wind up rolling under one strand (sigh).
do you have the electrobraid? I heard their's is supposed to be put at 50 ft apart.

I saw some in the tractor supply place the other day, not electrobraid but a nice thick rope kind and it was 656 ft for about 39-49 bucks.
     
    10-19-2010, 03:59 AM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg052003    
do you have the electrobraid? I heard their's is supposed to be put at 50 ft apart.

I saw some in the tractor supply place the other day, not electrobraid but a nice thick rope kind and it was 656 ft for about 39-49 bucks.
We have 'generic electrobraid' from tractor supply, probably the same/similar to what you saw since that sounds about roughly the right price from what I remember.

How far you go really depends on the terrain and weather. As you said, they you are supposed to go 50' on flat land if snow/wind/etc is not a problem. We have some slightly rolling areas and to be honest, 50' seemed a long way to go, but it may just be me being conservative, more used to wire fencing, and not liking to seach for escapees
     
    10-19-2010, 07:02 AM
  #16
Banned
I am going to go against the grain here. Since you have not bought your horse yet and you do not know what type of horse you will have, I suggest you make a more sturdy fence than one strand of tape.
This fits into the category of 'just because it worked does not mean it is what you should do'.

I would recommend three strands of electric. I think of what is offered, tape is probably the safest.

You need one strand low enough to prevent those horses that like to reach under from just scooting under the fence. You need one strand high enough to discourage the thought that jumping out is an easy option. Then one strand in the middle to fill the large void.

If you are going to go with wire, coated wire, or electric rope be sure to install them properly. Improperly installed they can be very dangerous.
     
    10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
  #17
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
We have 'generic electrobraid' from tractor supply, probably the same/similar to what you saw since that sounds about roughly the right price from what I remember.

How far you go really depends on the terrain and weather. As you said, they you are supposed to go 50' on flat land if snow/wind/etc is not a problem. We have some slightly rolling areas and to be honest, 50' seemed a long way to go, but it may just be me being conservative, more used to wire fencing, and not liking to seach for escapees
So about 3 ft high for one strand should be fine right?
     
    10-19-2010, 09:31 AM
  #18
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
I am going to go against the grain here. Since you have not bought your horse yet and you do not know what type of horse you will have, I suggest you make a more sturdy fence than one strand of tape.
This fits into the category of 'just because it worked does not mean it is what you should do'.

I would recommend three strands of electric. I think of what is offered, tape is probably the safest.

You need one strand low enough to prevent those horses that like to reach under from just scooting under the fence. You need one strand high enough to discourage the thought that jumping out is an easy option. Then one strand in the middle to fill the large void.

If you are going to go with wire, coated wire, or electric rope be sure to install them properly. Improperly installed they can be very dangerous.
I am going to keep him in the stall area for about a week to get him used to the area, then train him to the pasture so I was thinking 1 strand should suffice. I am going to look for a not too old horse, something nice and calm too.
     
    10-19-2010, 09:32 AM
  #19
Banned
Good luck with that.........

I tried one strand once in my life (many years ago).

Thankfully I had really nice neighbors who brought my horses back several mornings in a row when they got out and went for a walk during the night.
     
    10-19-2010, 09:40 AM
  #20
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
Good luck with that.........

I tried one strand once in my life (many years ago).

Thankfully I had really nice neighbors who brought my horses back several mornings in a row when they got out and went for a walk during the night.
Lol. Did they go under or over it? One of my friends I saw his setup the other day and he has one strand of the 2 inch tape and said only time his horses got out was if the wire was off and they knew it was off. I gues they can smell it.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help End a Never-Ending Boarding Stable Dispute (Electric Fencing) BackInTheSaddleAgain Barn Maintenance 31 09-18-2010 12:46 AM
Electric shocks RedTree General Off Topic Discussion 10 04-05-2010 10:23 PM
Electric horse_luver4e Horse Training 13 04-09-2008 12:15 PM
electric fencing KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 5 06-24-2007 10:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0