ONLY took DH and me a month to do, ha ha!!
The orginal cattle manger in my Shelter adjacent to my barn was falling apart. I had REALLY enjoyed feeding from it and was tired of putting hay out on the ground, looking for the dryest spots. The project started when I finally began stripping the...um...old poo out of my 16 x 19 shelter. I started in the NW corner. After "digging my way to China", and 15 loads later I realized that not all of the floor is cement. =/
It was actually a Good
thing bc I measured my new dimensions and put a 10yo 8" diameter fence post (that had no job since the new fencing job in 2008) in towards the corner for extra support. I put in 3 ft into the ground. Gotta LOVE my auger bc it works like a screwdriver to dig and pull up dirt. I made it 2 ft. down through the topsoil, then another foot into clay--THIS was familiar. The fencepost was one that DH and I had bought to put up some fencing in 2000. After replacing the muck with used garden soil, to level it to the height of the cement floor, then lining the floor with rubber mats and adding pine shavings, my project looked like this:
My friend had some free wooden pallets--we seem to be on a "pallet roll" with our fix-it jobs--we were off and running. We had a shallow pallet which fit nicely against the west wall. The RH recessed side was still intact. This left a gap for the sliding door to fully open, and we attached a pallet directly to it.
The pallets didn't fit evenly, so we added an ancient 2 x 8 and slid it through 3 of them--sorry no pics of this--to secure them together. I have been buying clearance wood and such from Lowe's all year. They keep the extra cut pieces that the customers don't want for a few days and trash them if nobody else wants them. I've picked up 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" plywood pieces for either 25 cents or a dollar (depending upon the clerk.) THIS is what built my manger. DH and I covered the front with 1/2" plywood.
Then we laid down horizontal pieces about 18" from the top to create a floating floor. Over this we laid down this white, slick 1/8" wallboard stuff--I had picked up two 4 x 8 pieces and various smaller pieces of it at Lowe's--measured to fit and laid this as a floating floor on top. We nailed and screwed same to the west and east sides and on the north facing side of the pallets.
After filing in an exposed pallet pieces we added the final touch--the ONLY piece that we had buy for this project--a 2 x 8, 12 foot board to fit on the lip. It tips slightly down towards the inside of the shelter.
You can see the original catwalk--built like a sonofagun--and I can sweep hay from the loft to the catwalk to the manger, once again.
"Baby" Pygma approves. =D