Originally Posted by back in the crosby again
I have big oaks in my pastures and my horses eat their acorns all the time and I have never had any problems. I have also heard about the maple leaves but I have seen horse munch away on them with no issues either. This does not mean that some horses may react to acorns or maple leaves, but in my experience they have not had any issues.
Yes - this seems to be the case. Silver Maples seem to be the ONLY Maple tree whose leaves don't produce cyanide. The university research I found implied that a horse would have to ingest a great deal of them (leaves, acorns, etc) to have serious side-effects (they mentioned horses who were very hungry/bored). Everything in moderation, I guess, haha. Except Walnut.
I recall seeing not to allow horses to eat Cherry stuff - what problems does that cause? I believe that is one where the worry is that your horse will ingest it. I know with Walnut, ingestion is not the problem - it's simply contact with the oils. Even if you have a Walnut tree on your property, but not necessarily with/near your horses, and you cut it down, the process of cutting/disposing of it will release the oils into the air and can cause SERIOUS illness/death in nearby horses if the wind happens to blow their direction. Nasty, scary stuff, that walnut!