Help designing riding arena - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Question Help designing riding arena

what did you use for the fencing? the easiest? the most economical? size?
thanks so much for your input

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,182
• Horses: 5
We have corral panels/gates (100'x200'). It is certainly the easiest, quickest, and low maintenance, but it is pricey compared to other fencing.
Posted via Mobile Device
PaintHorseMares is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares View Post
We have corral panels/gates (100'x200'). It is certainly the easiest, quickest, and low maintenance, but it is pricey compared to other fencing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have been looking at them. what brand are yours? are you happy with them?

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,779
• Horses: 1
I don't own a property but all of the barns I have boarded at use wood fencing and they dig it in deep and one barn I got to see them fix it and they used concrete blocks at the end to secure it.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #5 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 692
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
what did you use for the fencing? the easiest? the most economical? size?
thanks so much for your input
If your looking for a easy safe inexspensive way to fence off an arena I would say either round post or 4x4 posts. Most farm supply stores have those cedar posts ( ideal usually about $4 to $6 each)
Spaced 12 feet apart and use Wide electrical tape 3 to 4 "rail"


We started out this way but are slowly making a stone wall and increasing the ring size to 200x300 ( Be long time till its done uugh )Plus when you do replace it the tape and posts can be used else where if still in good condition.

TRR
TimberRidgeRanch is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberRidgeRanch View Post
If your looking for a easy safe inexspensive way to fence off an arena I would say either round post or 4x4 posts. Most farm supply stores have those cedar posts ( ideal usually about $4 to $6 each)
Spaced 12 feet apart and use Wide electrical tape 3 to 4 "rail"


We started out this way but are slowly making a stone wall and increasing the ring size to 200x300 ( Be long time till its done uugh )Plus when you do replace it the tape and posts can be used else where if still in good condition.

TRR
electrical for riding?
wow! a stone wall will be stunning! sounds like quite a project!

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
I don't own a property but all of the barns I have boarded at use wood fencing and they dig it in deep and one barn I got to see them fix it and they used concrete blocks at the end to secure it.
yes, Sky, wood fencing is common..but digging 60+ holes even with a PTO PHD does not sound fun & usually boarding facilities have paid help...not a luxury I have with a private ranch ;)

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,182
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
I have been looking at them. what brand are yours? are you happy with them?
The new ones are from Tractor Supply...the least expensive place around here. We also have a bunch of used ones...we always keep an eye open for corral panels when driving past the farms. When you find old family farms that have been passed down to the children, often they are not interested in ranching and you can get panels for very little.
Posted via Mobile Device

Btw..I really like them. They are sturdy, no electric required, and you have the flexability to easily change things around.
eclipseranch likes this.

Last edited by PaintHorseMares; 06-17-2012 at 11:30 AM.
PaintHorseMares is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,779
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
yes, Sky, wood fencing is common..but digging 60+ holes even with a PTO PHD does not sound fun & usually boarding facilities have paid help...not a luxury I have with a private ranch ;)
Even so repairing them is insane. Having to dig it out, put new concrete down, then put a pole in there (or a plank.. whatever you call the... oh! Fence posts!) and have it dry.. then hook up the fence wiring or however you do it.

I think paneling would work just as well.
eclipseranch likes this.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #10 of 23 Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 692
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
electrical for riding?
wow! a stone wall will be stunning! sounds like quite a project!
Electrical tape yes Only as parimeter railing NOT AS A ELECTRIC FENCE Can use the tape dont need to only be used as electric fence. although after replacing the rings fence the tape can be used later.
We wont see a stone wall all the way around like I want till another 2 years maybe more.
TimberRidgeRanch is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Riding Arena Pix farmpony84 Horse Pictures 2 04-13-2012 12:01 AM
Need help designing arena, round pen, stalls, etc. rrhancock Barn Maintenance 1 02-18-2012 10:05 PM
Horse Riding Arena uii Horse Riding 13 12-27-2011 09:59 PM
How much is too much? (Arena Riding) Pro Horse Training 5 07-20-2010 12:51 PM
Without an Indoor Riding Arena ... How do you do it??? Jubilee Rose Horse Riding 20 08-31-2008 07:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome