Help!! Stall grids & rubber mat overkill? Save my marriage! - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rural central Pennsylvania
Posts: 64
• Horses: 0
Thanks Western Gal!

2a stone it will be!
wguisbert54 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,995
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
In the UK there are very few stables that are not concreted and the horses do not suffer from any more leg problems that horses in the USA.
To my mind, horses standing on a dirt floor that is often very uneven is more detrimental the their joints than concrete.

Add to the fact that most people in the UK bed far deeper than in the States means that when the horses are inside they are more likely to lie down.

Personally I dislike rubber mats. I find that the horses are far dirtier on them
Given a splash area they will then lie on the shavings and get soaked in urine and poop. Nearly all bedding has to be thrown out every day. Give me a good deep straw or shavings bed any day. You throw out far less and it takes half the time to muck out than to get all the mess off the horse and muck out a rubber matted stable.
YEAH, It's nice to have some company Foxhunter, I'd never seen a dirt floor in a stable until I came here, and I agree that horses don't appear to have anymore leg problems than they do in the USA. NO I haven't done a comparative study, but having owned horses here and there, I don't see much difference.
Golden Horse is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
YEAH, It's nice to have some company Foxhunter, I'd never seen a dirt floor in a stable until I came here, and I agree that horses don't appear to have anymore leg problems than they do in the USA. NO I haven't done a comparative study, but having owned horses here and there, I don't see much difference.
Great opinion, equal in validity to my opinion.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,962
• Horses: 3
Eh, Taffy always looks for a reason to try to start an argument and then call everything her opinion as an out of the argument..Anytime any one disagrees with her, you're wrong..but that's her opinion.. I love having the wrong opinion.

Anyway!

OP- Have you ever though about adopting? Laugh!...kidding, it seems like you are doing a great thing and supporting your daughter. I wish my Dad was as supportive and considerate as you are. I think you're making a fantastic decision and you're seriously covering all of your bases, great job..I'm sure that whatever you decide and go with, you'll choose the best to suit your needs. Good luck!
Golden Horse likes this.

I am Sparkly Meanie Doodie Head and I approve this message!
DrumRunner is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Some times Llanelian - North wales, sometimes Hull in East Yorkshire (UK)
Posts: 3,679
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton View Post
I wouldn't put mats over concrete, just to hard on their legs.
I'd love to see your logic behind that one!

I agree with foxhunter I've only ever seen one stable without a concrete floor and it was a stinking sodden muddy mess that was rutted, had a hollow in the middle and created all sorts of back isues for the horses expected to stand in it.

Concidering EVERY vet hospital in the UK beds on concrete normaly with rubber on top I'd say it was the better option.

I personaly have sloping (only by 1 inch) concete floors with rubber matting cut to fit them exactly and a shallow bed of hemp on top (I dont like sprinklings). I lift my matting every 3 to 4 years, never ever have a smell from them and normaly it is still clean under the matting so it goes straigh back down.

I'm fairly sire I did read a study once done at Leahurst vet hosp about the effect of various floorings on horses legs. Rubber mats came out quite well.

Then again they did use horse matting not cheap crap cow matting.

RIDE your horse FORWARDS and keep him STRAIGHT

faye is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,995
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton View Post
Great opinion, equal in validity to my opinion.

Well at least I have a comparison, 30 years of working with, playing with and keeping horses in the UK and 6 years out here, so my opinion is based on experience of some experience. Yours appears to based just on well opinion with nothing to base it on.
Golden Horse is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
[QUOTE=DrumRunner;1391609]Eh, Taffy always looks for a reason to try to start an argument and then call everything her opinion as an out of the argument..

QUOTE]

Did you read the entire thread? No arguement was started by me.

Unlike you I don't want to argue. I have no arguement with anyone.
This is ludicrist that this is even an arguement. Who would argue about horse stall flooring? Not me. I was jumped all over for giving my opinion.

Thats great that others use a concrete base for their horsestalls. I would not.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
[QUOTE=faye;1391620]I'd love to see your logic behind that one!

I agree with foxhunter I've only ever seen one stable without a concrete floor and it was a stinking sodden muddy mess that was rutted, had a hollow in the middle and created all sorts of back isues for the horses expected to stand in it.


QUOTE]

Well I am glad that you use concrete then, if you only have one alternative stable to compare to.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
Well at least I have a comparison, 30 years of working with, playing with and keeping horses in the UK and 6 years out here, so my opinion is based on experience of some experience.
Yours appears to based just on well opinion with nothing to base it on.
I am so glad that you are able to give an opinion based on your experience.

As did I.
Taffy Clayton is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,169
• Horses: 0
[QUOTE=DrumRunner;1391609] Anytime any one disagrees with her, you're wrong..but that's her opinion..


Where on earth did I say anyone was wrong?
Taffy Clayton is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubber Stall Mats? ilyTango Barn Maintenance 7 02-11-2011 05:54 PM
anyone use a one piece rubber mat in horse stall? welovelabs Barn Maintenance 0 08-22-2010 06:21 PM
Fun with grids! Hoofprints in the Sand Jumping 11 08-20-2009 01:11 PM
Stall Mats - Stable Flooring - Save $ on Bedding DMESHE Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 07-08-2009 06:58 PM
A little overkill would you not think ?...or a joke ?????? Spyder Horse Tack and Equipment 20 02-11-2009 08:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome