Horse pasture help.
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Horse pasture help.

This is a discussion on Horse pasture help. within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Ditch horse paddock safety
  • Horse farm maintenance

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-09-2013, 06:47 PM
  #1
Yearling
Horse pasture help.

HI we're fencing in a new pasture for my horse. It's on the edge of our property and our yard is next to a field/farming land. The farmer plants crops there every year and he uses/sprays herbicides/pesticides(not sure) on the crops several times a (growing)year. The pasture is going to be next to the farmer's land and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the stuff he sprays and would it be safe for my horse to graze there after the farmer sprayed the field? The pasture wouldnt be sprayed, though.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
  #2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
HI we're fencing in a new pasture for my horse. It's on the edge of our property and our yard is next to a field/farming land. The farmer plants crops there every year and he uses/sprays herbicides/pesticides(not sure) on the crops several times a (growing)year. The pasture is going to be next to the farmer's land and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the stuff he sprays and would it be safe for my horse to graze there after the farmer sprayed the field? The pasture wouldnt be sprayed, though.
Overspray and spray drift WILL enter property. If he has higher land then water will move the chemicals onto yours. Been there and done that.

If you are on good terms ask to work with him and move your horses out for at least one month after his chemical date. You need to keep track of rain... one month may not be enough.

Otherwise. I would move my horse containment fence back 50 feet from the line. IF you know when and what he has sprayed, use the slot best you can.

I hope that you can work with you neighbor and rotate your land as needed.

Dang... Edit. We have had problems from others using our grazing property for pool, laundry waist dump. These have the same type of chems. In some fertilizers. We now keep several emergency injections for the horses for.... grazing with these chemicals. I'm sorry I don't remember the terms. I'm sorry to say that we corrected the problem only to have our neighbors ignore them and raced to use the injections. (neighbors told to leave, by .... someone else... the country or else and did.)
     
    05-09-2013, 07:33 PM
  #3
Yearling
Is there anything else I can do? I don't have anymore pasture space and the only space I have is within 50 ft of the field. I really need to graze my horses!
     
    05-09-2013, 07:38 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Go ask the farmer what he sprays with and determine if it's horse-safe.
Sereno likes this.
     
    05-09-2013, 07:42 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina    
Go ask the farmer what he sprays with and determine if it's horse-safe.
I don't know how to contact him!!! Would it help if there was a row of trees between the pasture and field?
     
    05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
  #6
Yearling
My horse dry lot paddock is by the propertly line also and I can't move it because my dad doesnt want horses everywhere. If it is 50ft from the line is it alright? Do I have to move it?
     
    05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
  #7
Foal
You can go to the county office & they can help you. Purchase/sale of a property is public knowledge. You can search the address in your countys assessors office & find out that way too. Or, when you see somebody.... Go over there & flag them down!
Posted via Mobile Device
Corporal and Blue Smoke like this.
     
    05-10-2013, 09:19 AM
  #8
Banned
Lots of good advice above. Sounds like you really need to talk with the farmer and get some good relations going so he tells you when we is spraying or spreading and what he is using.

IF you have no run off from his property then that's good. If no wind while he is spraying/spreading would minimize any drift and if he understands your concerns then he can be a little more careful.

Good luck.
     
    05-10-2013, 11:54 AM
  #9
Yearling
Ok I just measured everything. My dry lot paddock is 42ft from our property line and then there is a 6-8 ft wide ditch in between our property and the field. There is a row of trees between the paddock and the ditch. My horse would have to spend most of his time there I can't take him anywhere else. Is that ok or does he have to be moved if the field is sprayed.
And I just measured the pasture. I can move the fence line back 50ft(afterall) and there are trees and a ditch between the pasture and the field too. So is that ok? Do I still have to take him off for a month? I really can't take him off his dry lot. I'd put him in the barn while the farmer is spraying and let him out 2-3hr later.
We don't get any run off from the field it all goes into the ditch.
     
    05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
Ok I just measured everything. My dry lot paddock is 42ft from our property line and then there is a 6-8 ft wide ditch in between our property and the field. There is a row of trees between the paddock and the ditch. My horse would have to spend most of his time there I can't take him anywhere else. Is that ok or does he have to be moved if the field is sprayed.
And I just measured the pasture. I can move the fence line back 50ft(afterall) and there are trees and a ditch between the pasture and the field too. So is that ok? Do I still have to take him off for a month? I really can't take him off his dry lot. I'd put him in the barn while the farmer is spraying and let him out 2-3hr later.
We don't get any run off from the field it all goes into the ditch.
It is difficult being able to advise not seeing your situation.

OK. Ditch will catch any polluted rain water. Fence on your side of the ditch so horse can not graze on the ditch grass.

Which way does the wind usually blow? From his field onto your place or from your place onto his field? A mild breeze or windy? (most farmers will not spray in windy conditions.)

How dense are the trees?

IF he sprays and a little drifting happens, can you water that area for a couple of days?

Talking with the farmer is STILL your best bet. Will you KNOW that he just sprayed his field or what he used and which way the wind was blowing?

With some more investigation and information, you MIGHT be able to put your fence a couple of feet in from the ditch with very little disruption or danger. MIGHT!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catching A Horse in Pasture? hosscwazy13 Horse Training 13 01-30-2013 12:31 AM
do you supplement a horse on pasture 24/7? garlicbunny Horse Health 6 04-27-2012 05:08 AM
New Pasture & New Pasture Buddies! RoCru Horse Pictures 10 11-23-2010 04:08 AM
HELP! WEEDY pasture! (or Pasture Management ?) devildogtigress Horse Nutrition 9 10-30-2010 11:05 PM
How much pasture per horse? ScharmLily Horse Health 7 01-31-2010 11:43 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0