How bigs your barn?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

How bigs your barn?

This is a discussion on How bigs your barn? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • how many stalls
  • Crushed egg shells for arena footing

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
  #1
Foal
How bigs your barn?

I was just wondering, how big is your barn? How many stalls do you have, and do you have a wash rack/tack room. Me and my husband REALLY need to get a floor plan done hopefully this week, but I can't decide on how big of a barn I want :(. I'm hoping to use it for training/boarding (and of course my own horses). Even if you just board, do you know how big there barn is? I was going to put in a tack room, but how many of you have wash rooms, do you feel there used enough to splurge for the extra expense of putting it in? I'm not looking for some kind of giant mansion horse barn lol. Just something big enough to accommodate what I want. Also does anybody have trails "on" there property (as in you own the land the trails on)? I was thinking about making a private trail out of our "forest" on the back of our property, but my husband thinks im nuts . Any help would be great, oh and feel free to post pictures of your set up, and what kind of fence you use . I know I have so many questions, but im just afraid of building it and then having regrets about this or that.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
  #2
Super Moderator
Mine is 6 stalls with room for 2 more. I use the extra space for feed and hay storage and the middle stall (I only have 5 horses) for junk.

I have 2 paddocks and a pasture, hoping to double the size of the pasture this summer. I also have a round pen that often ends up being rigged to make a 3rd paddock. I have a ring that is not yet fenced...

The barn has an overhang also and each paddock can go under the overhang. I also have 2 dutch doors that lead out into one of the paddocks and double doors on both ends of the barn.

I do not yet have a wash rack but plan to build an outside one.

I have a friend that boards and she alternates stalls so she has an 8 stall barn and can do 16 horses (half in day - half in night). Winter she blankets and has an outside shelter.
     
    04-05-2011, 02:05 PM
  #3
Foal
Hmm, are your pasture/paddocks next to each other or apart. I was thinking it might be better not to put them side by side incase I have boarders who bring in horses that need separated from the rest of the herd. Also I was thinking about putting doors on the back of the stalls and putting up a fence behind the barn wall. So they can go in and out of there stalls on there own? I havent met many people with this type of set-up so not sure how well it works.
     
    04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
  #4
Showing
I don't have boaders, just my own and a couple training horses in at a time. The stall barn has 10 - 12 x 12 stalls, small bay for tractor & equipment,small bay for hay storage (The bulk is in our hay barn, try to keep 25 bales or less in the barn...i have a major fear of barn fire) & tack room & wash rack. I use the wash rack a lot! I will take some pics when I'm out there later. When my gpa built it he had big metal piping put in the concrete and made a stock of sorts in the wash rack. It gets used for much more than bathing. It's wonderful for the vet to palpate & ultrasound mares, address wounds in a very easy to clean area, soak sore legs, and I always do sheath cleaning in there - if they think about kicking I can get out of the way safely. Our indoor is attached to the stall barn and we have 2 - 12 x 24 foaling stalls in the front corners. Lots/Pasture - I have a large outdoor/also serves as pony turn out for my daughter's pony who gets fat looking at grass. We have 2 large pastures we rotate for the herd, 1 gets used for mares & foals part of the year and 3 stud pastures. We have good ol' red brand horse fence around all of it with 1 strand of barb, the stud lots have 2 strands of tape hot wire at the top instead of barb.

We have about 17ish acres of woods behind our pastures & barns that I ride in...haven't had to make any trails myself as the horses & deer have carved their own through the years. I would strongly suggest you convince the hubby to let you make trails, it's where I find my sanity and it's a great break from the monotony of daily arena riding for horse & rider :)
     
    04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters    
I don't have boaders, just my own and a couple training horses in at a time. The stall barn has 10 - 12 x 12 stalls, small bay for tractor & equipment,small bay for hay storage (The bulk is in our hay barn, try to keep 25 bales or less in the barn...i have a major fear of barn fire) & tack room & wash rack. I use the wash rack a lot! I will take some pics when I'm out there later. When my gpa built it he had big metal piping put in the concrete and made a stock of sorts in the wash rack. It gets used for much more than bathing. It's wonderful for the vet to palpate & ultrasound mares, address wounds in a very easy to clean area, soak sore legs, and I always do sheath cleaning in there - if they think about kicking I can get out of the way safely. Our indoor is attached to the stall barn and we have 2 - 12 x 24 foaling stalls in the front corners. Lots/Pasture - I have a large outdoor/also serves as pony turn out for my daughter's pony who gets fat looking at grass. We have 2 large pastures we rotate for the herd, 1 gets used for mares & foals part of the year and 3 stud pastures. We have good ol' red brand horse fence around all of it with 1 strand of barb, the stud lots have 2 strands of tape hot wire at the top instead of barb.

We have about 17ish acres of woods behind our pastures & barns that I ride in...haven't had to make any trails myself as the horses & deer have carved their own through the years. I would strongly suggest you convince the hubby to let you make trails, it's where I find my sanity and it's a great break from the monotony of daily arena riding for horse & rider :)
Wow it sounds like you guys have a great set up. I figured only 10 stalls as well, because im not sure how many boarders I want. I don't want my barn flooded with people, to me that just makes things hectic. But at the same time i'm worried if I don't make it bigger i'll regret it later on (not that you can add a 2nd barn, but that would be more expensive than just making a big barn all in one). I was also going to ask if anybody had stalls in there indoor arena, so that's helpful lol. How big is your indoor arena? I hear so many different things about how big an "average" arena is. It sounds like the wash rack will come in very handy
     
    04-05-2011, 03:57 PM
  #6
Started
A side thought for you - if you can (seeing as you plan on having boarders) put in a bathroom in your barn. When I boarded horses it was something I had in the plans for a new barn because it would be sooooo much easier for boarders to not have to come in my house to use the bathroom. That's just me anyways. ;)
     
    04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
  #7
Showing
Our indoor is 100 x 200. Its more than big enough for me. I'm usually alone, but have had 3 working at a time and we were all comfortable. The only complaint I have is the arena dust. Finally got the hubby to install overhead sprinklers last year and it makes a huge difference. Beats dragging the hose and spraying it down! Yes, definitely allow for expansion. We've done lots of updating over the years. Much more cost effective than building another barn!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky    
a side thought for you - if you can (seeing as you plan on having boarders) put in a bathroom in your barn. When I boarded horses it was something I had in the plans for a new barn because it would be sooooo much easier for boarders to not have to come in my house to use the bathroom. That's just me anyways. ;)
I didn't think about that, I could probably just put a portable bathroom near the barn though. Since that would probably be a lot cheaper lol. But i'll look in to it incase our budget allows the extra expense. 100x200 sounds pretty reasonable, I was thinking of building the arena big enough for the case of if I want more stalls I can just put them in the arena. Do you put sand in your indoor? I've heard some people use like a clay? I didnt think about sprinkles, thanks for all the tips!
     
    04-05-2011, 04:22 PM
  #9
Showing
A bathroom is the one thing I wish had been planned for when my gpa built the barn ages ago. Ours unfortunately isn't close enough to hook into or septic, so we have an outhouse with a chemical\camping toilet. Cheaper than digging a new septic!

I know when they filled the arena they did several layers of different types of dirt\sand. The top is a light sand that works up really easy with old box springs. I have a friend that just topped hers with crushed egg shells, I'm waiting to hear reviews on whether it helped with the dust. Even though they had been bleached there was a definite odor to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky    
a side thought for you - if you can (seeing as you plan on having boarders) put in a bathroom in your barn. When I boarded horses it was something I had in the plans for a new barn because it would be sooooo much easier for boarders to not have to come in my house to use the bathroom. That's just me anyways. ;)
In the house?
I always just used a stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylieHorses    
I didn't think about that, I could probably just put a portable bathroom near the barn though. Since that would probably be a lot cheaper lol.
You would be shocked how much renting a porta-potty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylieHorses    
100x200 sounds pretty reasonable, I was thinking of building the arena big enough for the case of if I want more stalls I can just put them in the arena. Do you put sand in your indoor? I've heard some people use like a clay? I didnt think about sprinkles, thanks for all the tips!
Making your riding area smaller when you add more horses to the mix does not sound like a practical way to go. Plus, the width of a free span building is what makes it expensive. You might not find it cost affective to pay for riding ring free span just to shoves stalls on the end of it.
Have you priced an indoor ring yet?

If you are asking about clay for footing in an indoor you need to contact someone who has experience doing ring footing. Clay is slippery when wet and hard as a rock when it is not wet. Not good footing. There is far more to indoor ring footing than just slapping down sand though.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Barn horsplay Barn Maintenance 3 02-28-2011 10:22 PM
horse needs in the barn? barn remodel ohiogoatgirl Barn Maintenance 7 01-16-2011 03:12 PM
New Barn Sghorselover Jumping 1 06-28-2010 05:56 AM
From a top barn to a basic barn wordstoasong Barn Maintenance 7 04-14-2010 10:30 PM
Old pics from my Paw Paws old barn in TX and lesson barn omgpink Horse Pictures 3 04-16-2009 01:05 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0