How bigs your barn? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
In the house?
I always just used a stall.


You would be shocked how much renting a porta-potty is.


Making your riding area smaller when you add more horses to the mix does not sound like a practical way to go. Plus, the width of a free span building is what makes it expensive. You might not find it cost affective to pay for riding ring free span just to shoves stalls on the end of it.
Have you priced an indoor ring yet?

If you are asking about clay for footing in an indoor you need to contact someone who has experience doing ring footing. Clay is slippery when wet and hard as a rock when it is not wet. Not good footing. There is far more to indoor ring footing than just slapping down sand though.
Yes i've done some pricing for indoor arena's, and it mostly depends who go threw. That's why we were debating to add it now or later. We found some nice barn kits for a decent price that were looking at now. But there arena's are pretty pricey. They have a 90x216 for 217k. Yes I realize footing has more to do with throwing in some sand, I was just curious as to what people use just to get some idea's of what works for people.

Sydney Rylie
~A real mother knows when to love, and when to be tough~
~God gave me clarity to be a mother, a wife, and a reason to love life~

Last edited by RylieHorses; 04-05-2011 at 03:59 PM.
RylieHorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
No one uses just clay for arena footing!
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
No one uses just clay for arena footing!
I'm not exactly sure why your reacting so harshly to a simple question, i've heard of a type of clay being used. I didn't know if it was mixed or not, I figured maybe it helped with dust or something. But I get your point, I was just curious.

Sydney Rylie
~A real mother knows when to love, and when to be tough~
~God gave me clarity to be a mother, a wife, and a reason to love life~
RylieHorses is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,179
• Horses: 7
There is a sand that has clay mixed in it. I forget what it is called. Some people even use blue stone dust which I don't particularly like. My arena is grass and I'm hoping to eventually make it sand.

My paddocks are attached to the barn and then you can send them out to the pasture straight from the paddock. One thought to consider is feeding time. In the summer I keep mine out 24/7 so I keep them seperated in smaller groups in order to make feeding easier on me. I was bringing them in to eat and then sending them back out but I've got myself a system down now that works.

Pistol - Beauty - Riley - Blue - Sierra. In that order! And they have specific spots as well!

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
There is a sand that has clay mixed in it. I forget what it is called. Some people even use blue stone dust which I don't particularly like. My arena is grass and I'm hoping to eventually make it sand.

My paddocks are attached to the barn and then you can send them out to the pasture straight from the paddock. One thought to consider is feeding time. In the summer I keep mine out 24/7 so I keep them seperated in smaller groups in order to make feeding easier on me. I was bringing them in to eat and then sending them back out but I've got myself a system down now that works.

Pistol - Beauty - Riley - Blue - Sierra. In that order! And they have specific spots as well!
Ok thanks for the advice, I looked up using clay, and according to Cherry Hill's people can use clay to firm up footing that's to deep, and there's also a dirt mixture that is made up from clay. So maybe that's what I was hearing about. I think the safest bet is sand though lol :)

Sydney Rylie
~A real mother knows when to love, and when to be tough~
~God gave me clarity to be a mother, a wife, and a reason to love life~
RylieHorses is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
• Horses: 2
I was browsing around and found this site, what do you guys think of this set up? Each stall has its own little small corral?

RCA Barn with Turnouts

Sydney Rylie
~A real mother knows when to love, and when to be tough~
~God gave me clarity to be a mother, a wife, and a reason to love life~
RylieHorses is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southwest, Michigan
Posts: 99
• Horses: 1
Just wanted to throw in my two cents as a person that boards. And you mentioned you were planning on having boarders.

I board my horse at a very small facility, and it doesn't have a restroom on site! So I have to drive down the road to a gas station (yuck!). If you plan to board I would recommend having a small wash room (for people)... If you have space and can afford it a small shower stall would be something to make a boarder happy. I sometimes like to do some riding before work, or inbetween other appts during the day, and being able to cleanup without going home would be neato! (I'm also highly allergic to horses so I have to immediately shower if I don't want to swell up!)

Unless you can afford hot water & heated stalls I've never seen the point of having a indoor wash area. My friend has a barn with a wash area and has never used it because the water and barn are unheated, so you still have to wait until warm weather to bathe the horses... And if it's warm enough for that... Its often easier to just do it out in the grass. That just my opinion though.

Also, at my barn we all share a tack room... But something I would like would be "horse size" lockers. A place to lock up my nice tack and maybe my purse while I'm there... I've seen them at other facilities.

So my advise to attract happy boarders...
1. Bathroom (may shower?)
2. Lockers

P.S. The atmosphere is the MOST important thing. I love the little "mom and pop" facility I'm at. If feels like it's "my barn in my backyard." So while I would like to see these improvements... I wouldn't move my horse in order to have them. So happy boarders comes with the "feeling" the barn gives them. My makes me feel at home, I like that. These are just ideas to ice the cake.

"And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it and created the horse."
nworkman82 is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworkman82 View Post
Just wanted to throw in my two cents as a person that boards. And you mentioned you were planning on having boarders.

I board my horse at a very small facility, and it doesn't have a restroom on site! So I have to drive down the road to a gas station (yuck!). If you plan to board I would recommend having a small wash room (for people)... If you have space and can afford it a small shower stall would be something to make a boarder happy. I sometimes like to do some riding before work, or inbetween other appts during the day, and being able to cleanup without going home would be neato! (I'm also highly allergic to horses so I have to immediately shower if I don't want to swell up!)

Unless you can afford hot water & heated stalls I've never seen the point of having a indoor wash area. My friend has a barn with a wash area and has never used it because the water and barn are unheated, so you still have to wait until warm weather to bathe the horses... And if it's warm enough for that... Its often easier to just do it out in the grass. That just my opinion though.

Also, at my barn we all share a tack room... But something I would like would be "horse size" lockers. A place to lock up my nice tack and maybe my purse while I'm there... I've seen them at other facilities.

So my advise to attract happy boarders...
1. Bathroom (may shower?)
2. Lockers

P.S. The atmosphere is the MOST important thing. I love the little "mom and pop" facility I'm at. If feels like it's "my barn in my backyard." So while I would like to see these improvements... I wouldn't move my horse in order to have them. So happy boarders comes with the "feeling" the barn gives them. My makes me feel at home, I like that. These are just ideas to ice the cake.
I will certainly keep those tips in mind, i'm not sure if we will be able to afford to get hot water, i'd LOVE to have a heated barn and a viewing room for the indoor, but those are fantasy land dreams .

Sydney Rylie
~A real mother knows when to love, and when to be tough~
~God gave me clarity to be a mother, a wife, and a reason to love life~
RylieHorses is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southwest, Michigan
Posts: 99
• Horses: 1
I don't see them as fantasy! It's brainstorming for future expansion! Keep those improvements in mind. While they may not happen.. they very well may! Wouldn't it be nice to have a barn plan that allows for additions! Otherwise you may have to tear down and startover! No one opens their small business and stays unchanged. Leave room for change. I'm excited for you!!
Posted via Mobile Device
nworkman82 is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 120
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworkman82 View Post
I don't see them as fantasy! It's brainstorming for future expansion! Keep those improvements in mind. While they may not happen.. they very well may! Wouldn't it be nice to have a barn plan that allows for additions! Otherwise you may have to tear down and startover! No one opens their small business and stays unchanged. Leave room for change. I'm excited for you!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the encouragement, if only my husband felt the same way lol. He wants to keep it as simple as possible :roll:. If I let him do the planning the'd have 3 ways and a little pasture.

Sydney Rylie
~A real mother knows when to love, and when to be tough~
~God gave me clarity to be a mother, a wife, and a reason to love life~
RylieHorses is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a Barn horsplay Barn Maintenance 3 02-28-2011 09:22 PM
horse needs in the barn? barn remodel ohiogoatgirl Barn Maintenance 7 01-16-2011 02:12 PM
New Barn Sghorselover Jumping 1 06-28-2010 04:56 AM
From a top barn to a basic barn wordstoasong Barn Maintenance 7 04-14-2010 09:30 PM
Old pics from my Paw Paws old barn in TX and lesson barn omgpink Horse Pictures 3 04-16-2009 12:05 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome