I have small barn with two stall fronts and they were plain and simple, and fine. But I really wanted that higher-end barn feel that we all covet from Pinterest posts, so I decided to clean and finish them.
Here they are "before". They look fine, but not *fantastic*.
I started out by pressure washing them taking off the years of old dust and bringing out the original beautiful color. You can immeadiatly, see the obvious difference.
Refinishing Stall Fronts
I let them dry over night and the next day I then went over the rough spots that had splintered with the power sanded and vacuumed up all of the dust. After that I went over the all of the wood with Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner, applying with a soft lint-free rag. The freshly washed wood, soaked the conditioner up, so by the time I was done the point I started at was dry.
So then I applied Zinsser Traditional Clear Shellac Finish and Sealer, with a soft lint-free rag, from top to bottom left to right. We had good weather, so it dried super quick.
Here you can see three sections in different phases.
The RIGHT most section has only been cleaned and sanded.
The MIDDLE section has been cleaned, sanded AND wiped with Wood Conditioner.
And the LEFT section as been cleaned, sanded, wiped with Wood Conditioner AND has one layer of shellac.
And then I applied a second thick coat. The trick, is to get it as thick as you can without the shellac dripping. I did two coats but I think it needs a third coat. Shellac is a great sealer but you do need several coats.
Because of the pressure washing and fumes the horses did have to spend the weekend out in the pen. As you can see they didn't protest very much.
My next project is to figure out how to paint the bars black gloss to match the rest of the fixtures. I would love to get them powder coated, but they are permanently mounted so powder coating it out, so I've got to figure out alternatives.
I think they look really good! Its as if I have a real grown up barn!
Here are some more before and afters