I thought I was happy at my pricey equestrian center, but now I'm thinking maybe I'm not. One of the main reasons I got another horse was because I wanted to get out more, meet people and have the horsey type comradeship I had years ago but don't have now. I've been in Nebraska for 2 years and haven't made a single friend, not one...except the lady that runs the consignment tack store, not sure if she counts because I only see her at the store we don't hang. I just don't have time to get out between taking care of my older mom and my 12 month old and making sure my big guys needs are met while he works odd hours... Cinny is my only break.
Making friends wasn't the ONLY reason to get a horse, don't mistake me....because it wasn't but come on, 9 months at my stable and still everyone turns up their noses at me and don't really talk to me. It is so cliquish there! Either you are a pony clubber with a pony or a pony clubber "mom." Or you have a big warmblood and go out in the hunt field with the "big girls." or you have an experienced Dressage horse you take to show after show all year. Cinny and I just don't fit in to any of those categories....in fact my trainer NEVER even tells me what shows are coming up. Even if I didn't ride Cin in one it would still be nice to go.
And then my last ride...that one really did it. Yes...another "pony posse" issue (for those who don't know "pony posse" is the name of our stables pony clubbers and there are about 20-25 ponies included in that...) I was riding Cin in the indoor, having an ok ride considering he hasn't been out in FOREVER. Two pony girls come in on their ponies and their mom stands in the arena as if she is giving a lesson. She's telling them what to do and things are for the most part ok. And then...they start cantering...faster faster more like a hand gallop and mom not paying attention. One came up behind Cinny so close that when she passes we nearly nicked stirrup irons....and up Cinny went...aerial gymnastics. The mom said NOTHING. Girl does it again, Cinny freaks again...so by then I'm getting pretty pissed. I heard her coming up a third time and I yelled as loud as I could for her to give Cinny some room...at least a horse distance and THEN the mom tells her daughter to just go half arena because obviously not everyone can control their horses. As if!!!
So, I think maybe I've made the decision to move Cinny. I found a LOVELY stable yesterday. Everyone there was really really friendly and happy to talk about the trails (yes they have trails) and their horses and who is who and who does what...and it's mainly adults..yay. It is mixed discipline and there are 2 other dressage riders. My trainer is welcome to go there but I have a feeling she won't and I don't care because she doesn't seem that enthused to be training Cin and me anyway. The indoor arena is bigger, they have "in and out" stalls where the "out" part is as big as his current turn out. Then they have turn outs the sizes of arenas, a round pen and an outdoor arena and...trails right there, literally the entrance to the trails is on stable property!! I really think Cin could use some serious outdoor time after the past 9 months of serious arena time. Oh and their tack lockers are serious tack lockers. You cold fit 3 saddles in there, seriously! It's 4X4X6..like a coat closet. The one I have at the Eq center is 4X4X4 and on the ground so I have to crawl to try to get my saddle out...how demeaning.
The other plus, it's about a 4th the cost of where I'm at. Drawbacks...they don't currently have full service. They feed in morning and then I would clean/feed at night, which is only a problem if I get sick. They are willing to hire someone to do Cinny at night but it would be a serious price hike (250 bucks). Also, I have to buy and truck in my own hay/feed. I don't know where to buy it and I don't know how I would fit it in my little Geo ha ha.
So I'm excited, not quite sure I'm doing the right thing. I have to pay a deposit Fri and I still have to give 30 days and board to the old place too...sheez. If I can afford both boards and have some money for feed I'm going to try to go ahead and move him now but I can't move him if I can't feed him.
What do you guys think, good move or should I stay? As always, all opinions honored...