Neglected horse at barn (question) - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Neglected horse at barn (question)

This is a discussion on Neglected horse at barn (question) within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Wondering if this is neglect horse
  • Questions about barn and horse upkeep

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-20-2011, 07:56 AM
  #21
Banned
Neglect of animals is everybody's business in a public boarding facility.
It puts other boarder's horses in jeopardy if this horse is ill, etc.
There is no harm in the OP inquiring into the condition of this horse.
She has a right to know if there are any problems with this horse since she boards her own animals there.
But to physically do anything beyond 'inquiring' falls under the responsibility of the BO or BM.
JMO

Good luck with this horse,..., glad you care enough to make the effort
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-20-2011, 08:40 AM
  #22
Showing
Beyond alerting the proper authorities, the OP has no right or say concerning this horse.

She's severely overstepping her boundaries if she tries to take on the care and feeding of this animal.

It's fine to be concerned if the animal is as bad as reported, but this is not her horse, and legally she has no right to do anything with or to this animal.

This is similar to something that almost happened to a horse I own. I had him boarded, and the BO had a kid who came out and cleaned stalls several times a week so she could get a horsey fix.

My gelding is very reactive, and at that time was a total spazz and head case. This kid decided that he needed to be 'Parellied', and that would magically fix him.

I told her, the BO, and the kid's mother in no uncertain terms that she was NOT to touch my horse, because he could be dangerous, and I sure as heck didn't want some snot nosed kid farking him up with her pwetty poneh Parelli ideas.

Bottom line, this is not the OP's horse. Being concerned is one thing. Trying to take over the animal because she doesn't believe it's being cared for properly is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
     
    01-20-2011, 08:46 AM
  #23
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaNow    
Neglect of animals is everybody's business in a public boarding facility.
It puts other boarder's horses in jeopardy if this horse is ill, etc.
There is no harm in the OP inquiring into the condition of this horse.
She has a right to know if there are any problems with this horse since she boards her own animals there.
But to physically do anything beyond 'inquiring' falls under the responsibility of the BO or BM.
JMO

Good luck with this horse,..., glad you care enough to make the effort
I totally agree.
I'm a barn owner & board horses for people also. One horse owner seldom sees his horse & then only if I call him about a problem. He once went almost 2 years without seeing his horse. I take care of all the horse's needs. He's groomed, feet trimmed every 6-7 weeks, dewormed-anything he needs, plus treats & loving on. You would not be able to tell he has an absent owner. That's my job.
If I saw a horse here in need of something I would have it done way before it got out of hand. If there was a continuing problem I that I constantly had to nag the owner about I would ask them to leave.
If I had a trainer in who made those non-caring comments they would not be welcomed back. The comfort & safety of all the horses here are my main concern, regardless of who owns them.
The BO in question should be making regular rounds if they are not hands on daily or their staff should be reporting to them. I would inform them of the mare's condition.
BO's get a bad rap because some allow things like that to go on. It shouldn't be all about money.
I feel that anyone who boards at my place has a vested interest in what goes on. This should be a calm happy retreat, not a place to be stressed over the neglect of another animal.
If more people spoke up & asked question we would hear fewer stories like this.
Remember, that same lack of caring & empathy may someday be directed at you or your horse.
     
    01-20-2011, 09:37 AM
  #24
Weanling
I would be very concerned if a horse like this resided at my barn. Our BM/trainer would never allow a boarded horse get to this condition. If an animal is not being cared for, the owners would be asked to rectify the situation, and if they do not, they are then asked to leave. If the horse is in such a condition, I would move my horse out of there pronto, with a letter to the BO explaining why I was leaving. If I thought the horse was in pain, danger, or extremely poor health, and no one was doing anything about it, I see no problem in alerting Animal Control and letting them deal with the situation.
     
    01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
  #25
Trained
Agree with Natisha totally. The OP has every right to ask anything she wants. If my trainer EVER told me to butt out in a situation similar to this, they would soon be my EX trainer. I am my own person, and I will ask questions when I think they are appropriate. If the person asking them has an issue with it, they, and only they, can tell me. My DH used to try and tell me what to say and not say too.....didn't fly for him, so it won;t fly for anyone else either.

Agree that feeding, touching, or interfering physically is totally out of bounds. But talking? Can't hurt to ask, ever, IMO. WE have some pretty skinny horses at the barn I moved to last fall....when I asked (prior to moving) they are extremely geriatric, and everything imaginable is being done.....but sure didn't hurt to ask!
     
    01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
  #26
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha    
I totally agree.
I'm a barn owner & board horses for people also.
One horse owner seldom sees his horse & then only if I call him about a problem.
He once went almost 2 years without seeing his horse.
I take care of all the horse's needs.
He's groomed, feet trimmed every 6-7 weeks, dewormed-anything he needs, plus treats & loving on.
You would not be able to tell he has an absent owner. That's my job.
If I saw a horse here in need of something I would have it done way before it got out of hand.
If there was a continuing problem I that I constantly had to nag the owner about I would ask them to leave.

If I had a trainer in who made those non-caring comments they would not be welcomed back.


The comfort & safety of all the horses here are my main concern, regardless of who owns them.
The BO in question should be making regular rounds if they are not hands on daily or their staff should be reporting to them.
I would inform them of the mare's condition.
BO's get a bad rap because some allow things like that to go on. It shouldn't be all about money.
I feel that anyone who boards at my place has a vested interest in what goes on.
This should be a calm happy retreat, not a place to be stressed over the neglect of another animal.
If more people spoke up & asked question we would hear fewer stories like this.
Remember, that same lack of caring & empathy may someday be directed at you or your horse.
I certainly agree with this posters thoughts.
Neglect is everybody's concern.
I have a friend who runs a boarding stable, and rarely sees many of the owners, just gets the monthly check.
If not for the love and attention he gives their horses, they would have NO human interaction.
And personally, I consider that neglectful.
Whats the point of owning the animal, if you don't actually have enough time to give to it?
And, of course, there are always extenuating circumstances,..., but our 'pets' need and deserve our 'time'.
JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimpatico    
I would be very concerned if a horse like this resided at my barn.
Our BM/trainer would never allow a boarded horse get to this condition.
If an animal is not being cared for, the owners would be asked to rectify the situation,
And if they do not, they are then asked to leave.
If the horse is in such a condition, I would move my horse out of there pronto, with a letter to the BO explaining why I was leaving.
If I thought the horse was in pain, danger, or extremely poor health, and no one was doing anything about it,
I see no problem in alerting Animal Control and letting them deal with the situation.
I'm surprised most of the horses aren't on any regular farrier, vet schedule, 'in house' so to speak.
I would think the BO/BM would want every horse in the barn wormed, feet done, shots, etc. regularly.
In my opinion, that is part and parcel of horse ownership.
     
    01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
  #27
Super Moderator
I have to agree with CorinoWalk on this one. She's right.

The OP is assuming the owner never comes based on the fact that he/she has never been there at the same time as her. What's to say the owner doesn't come when she's at school/work/home? What's to say the owner doesn't live out of town? Out of country? What's to say the owner hasn't worked out a deal with the barn owner or the trainer?

The horse could be old, it could suffer from a known and treated health issue. There are so many unknowns that it isn't really fair to label the horse as neglected, especially if it is in a barn full of well cared for animals.

I do think it is ok to ask the trainer or the BO, but I don't think it's time to rush out and call animal control. That's not very fair. If the horse isn't in any immediate danger then it should be ok to take the time to do the proper research before making accusations.

I think it's great that people take notice when it comes to the welfare of animals and I think it's awesome that people are willing to take the extra steps to ensure they are properly cared for but it needs to be done in a fair and educated way....

Good luck!
     
    01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
  #28
Green Broke
Without judging right or wrong in this case, as I think that has been covered, the one thing that puzzles and concerns me is the trainer's reaction. I understood the OP to say that the trainer didn't know anything about the horse. I fail to see how the OP writing and email to the BO asking about the horse should stress the trainer out so badly unless the trainer either A. Knows more than she is letting on or B. Is supposed to be handling the care of the horse and is not. Otherwise there would be no reason for her to get so worked up over a simple email.

If I had a trainer that acted in such a way, regardless, she would quickly find herself my ex-trainer.
     
    01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
  #29
Foal
I was wondering too if maybe the trainer is supposed to be keeping an eye on the horses, and she is afraid the BO will be upset with her ( the trainer ) if the condition of the horse is brought to the BO, or owners attention. The owner may not be able to visit regularly, and not be aware that the care they THOUGHT was being provided is not. This would reflect on the trainer, if keeping an eye on this was supposed to be her responsibility. So of course she would not want it brought to the BO/owners attention!
Of course, everyone's standards of horse grooming is different. My boy looks filthy alot- not because he is not groomed, but because the minute he is clean he is rolling in the dirt again!
I don't think it hurts to mention it to the BO tho- all depends on how it is presented... expressing concern is a lot different than insinutaing neglect...
     
    01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
  #30
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebee    
I was wondering too if maybe the trainer is supposed to be keeping an eye on the horses, and she is afraid the BO will be upset with her ( the trainer ) if the condition of the horse is brought to the BO, or owners attention. The owner may not be able to visit regularly, and not be aware that the care they THOUGHT was being provided is not. This would reflect on the trainer, if keeping an eye on this was supposed to be her responsibility. So of course she would not want it brought to the BO/owners attention!
Of course, everyone's standards of horse grooming is different. My boy looks filthy alot- not because he is not groomed, but because the minute he is clean he is rolling in the dirt again!
I don't think it hurts to mention it to the BO tho- all depends on how it is presented... expressing concern is a lot different than insinutaing neglect...
Agree with this. The OP said that the horse is in an area that the trainer uses for her horses; I would think that the trainer should be VERY interested to make sure that no one could possibly think that the horse was in her care. If the horse was not in her care, I actually can see her saying something to the OP like, "I don't care if her leg falls off, you can't (or I can't) touch that horse..." to emphasize the legal perspective that's already been discussed. I don't think the OP realized how significant this legal issue is, based on her post.

So, giving everybody the benefit of the doubt that the mare is being cared for at least physically, maybe the OP could ask the BO if she could get permission to groom the mare and give her some attention. The worst that could happen is that they'll say no.

The OP doesn't have many options as far as changing the horse's situation. She can report the situation to AC, and maybe 'fired' as a student, and certainly everyone will know/guess that she was the anonymous reporter; or she could call the barn vet and report her concerns to see if the vet's aware of the horse already. If she calls the vet to report the concern, she may never know what the vet did or didn't do about it because of confidentiality.
     

Tags
neglected

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK people - if horse picked up neglected, rights of ownership? Lottii Horse Law 5 08-12-2010 01:52 PM
need advice about buying neglected horse tperry10 Horses for Sale 5 03-07-2010 08:20 AM
neglected horse firefighterswife Horse Health 20 08-07-2009 11:29 AM
Neglected horse browneyedcowgirl13 Horse Grooming 7 06-06-2008 05:42 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0