Is this set up good for two horses? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Is this set up good for two horses?

This is a discussion on Is this set up good for two horses? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-29-2013, 08:31 PM
      #31
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
    bump.

    PS IS there a way to keep the dogs out of the paddock? We don't have many dogs here and most of them leave horses alone.
    You could use sheep fencing, or no-climb fencing but you'd have to do the same to your gates as well.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-29-2013, 09:01 PM
      #32
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koolio    
    You could use sheep fencing, or no-climb fencing but you'd have to do the same to your gates as well.
    Well couldnt I just put a strand of electric on the bottom to shock the dogs?
         
        04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
      #33
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
    Well couldnt I just put a strand of electric on the bottom to shock the dogs?
    Because dogs can either skirt under or jump over the electric strand.
         
        04-29-2013, 11:14 PM
      #34
    Yearling
    Well do you think my horses would be happy without any pasture If I kept them on 1/3 acre? And can dogs go under or over the strands if I put them close together?
         
        04-30-2013, 12:08 AM
      #35
    Showing
    As long as the horses can run the dogs will give up. Horses will turn on them and that's usually enough deterrent to send the city slickers home. Recently two young wolves approached my horses with the parents not far away. As one moved behind, the other stayed well off the horse's side. Suddenly the horse turned, charged a few strides then did a small rear and struck out at the wolf. That was enough and the wolves moved off. Did that horse look mean and ugly.
         
        04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
      #36
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    As long as the horses can run the dogs will give up. Horses will turn on them and that's usually enough deterrent to send the city slickers home. Recently two young wolves approached my horses with the parents not far away. As one moved behind, the other stayed well off the horse's side. Suddenly the horse turned, charged a few strides then did a small rear and struck out at the wolf. That was enough and the wolves moved off. Did that horse look mean and ugly.
    My dad isnt so sure about making the paddock longer, though. 200' looks pretty long to me. You sure it wont work? Two horses should be able to defend them selves right?

    Would they be happy if They didnt get any grass and had hay or should they be able to graze for fun?
    Thanks everyone.
         
        04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
      #37
    Yearling
    I mean the only dogs for two miles are our two dogs: an older Eskie who couldnt care less about horses and a mix breed who just likes to annoy horses without meaning any harm.
    Wouldnt 200' work in this situation?


    Sorry about bugging you guys so much about this.
         
        04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
      #38
    Yearling
    Like I said, you should be fine. My horses goof and run around just fine in ALL the paddocks, even the smaller ones. Our horses have NO pasture, nothing. They get enough hay in the morning to keep them occupied until at least early to mid afternoon, then enough hay at night to keep them occupied until late at night(or early morning, if you prefer). We've never had colic issues, boredom issues, ulcer issues. Nothing. They sometimes go up to 6-7 hours without hay on days they are piglets and scarf it up, they do just fine.
         
        04-30-2013, 01:41 PM
      #39
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kassierae    
    Like I said, you should be fine. My horses goof and run around just fine in ALL the paddocks, even the smaller ones. Our horses have NO pasture, nothing. They get enough hay in the morning to keep them occupied until at least early to mid afternoon, then enough hay at night to keep them occupied until late at night(or early morning, if you prefer). We've never had colic issues, boredom issues, ulcer issues. Nothing. They sometimes go up to 6-7 hours without hay on days they are piglets and scarf it up, they do just fine.
    Thanks kassierae. I think I'll put up a temporary electric fence so My horses can eat some grass for fun.

    There is another problem though-mud. What should I do about it? There is alot of mud when it rains and when the snow melts. Right now 1/3 of the paddock is mud and manure, 1/2 is under water(lots and lots of snow this year), and the rest is dry.

    What should I do?
         
        04-30-2013, 02:05 PM
      #40
    Yearling
    If you have that much of a drainage problem, then you might want to reconsider using that area as a paddock…especially since your spring rains haven't come yet.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Is this a good deal? Weatherbeeta set of three Breella Horse Tack and Equipment 4 10-10-2012 12:34 PM
    Mini set up for 2-4 horses steedaunh32 Barn Maintenance 3 09-28-2012 11:39 PM
    Is this tack set good quality?! RockoDog16 Horse Tack and Equipment 4 03-12-2012 08:37 PM
    Need advice and a good smack in the head to set me straight. LisaG719 Horse Riding 17 01-29-2010 11:53 AM
    looking for good set of 8-9 ft reins, again wyominggrandma Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 01-10-2010 12:34 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0