Side and rear bottom boards for shed, OSB questions - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Side and rear bottom boards for shed, OSB questions

With all of my lean-to's that I closed in on my yard, I took the cover boards up about an inch from the bottom so that it wouldnt rot. I am thinking about pouring it with cement because now i have an issue with rain coming in.

As for my horse stable, i was wondering if i should just flush with the ground cause I know I won't cement under the shed but I wonder about rotting later on down the road. . Its gona be about 12x10, just an out the weather shed. I will paint it by the way, not sure if i will prime it first then paint later though. Might just put a coat of paint on the osb but it won't be right away anyway. Any suggestions guys?
nyg052003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
I have limestone screenings on the floor of my run in shed and a thick sheet of plywood running along the sides. Its not setting right on the ground rather about 3-4" up.
This is the only photo I have and there is straw down for the baby so you can't see the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00554.JPG (88.7 KB, 326 views)


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
I have limestone screenings on the floor of my run in shed and a thick sheet of plywood running along the sides. Its not setting right on the ground rather about 3-4" up.
This is the only photo I have and there is straw down for the baby so you can't see the floor.
yeah my floor will be just dirt though. i was wondering about the rain getting in if i had it an inch or so or even a half inch off the ground to avoid rotting
nyg052003 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
The one in the photo is a large 3 sided shed so water will blow in once in awhile. If you built up the ground under your shed so it drains well, You shouldn't have to worry to much. I have a small lean to on the side of another barn that always filled with water when it rained. I built up around the outside and inside with screenings and I don't have near the problem. If your floor is just dirt expecially clay its going to get soupy inside. I'm not sure where you live but here in Kansas they call the dirt I used, limestone screenings. There is some stuff thats even cheaper I think its called cutter run? It has more rocks in it but it will work the same to help drainage. Both are pretty cheap around $2 a ton here, plus hauling of course.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
OSB does not do well in places where it will get wet. If you install it so it is always sitting in moisture the moisture will wick up into the 'wood' and the board will expand.

If you do not want a gap at the bottom why not buy some pressure treated dimensional lumber as a bottom board and then use your OSB from there up?
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
OSB does not do well in places where it will get wet. If you install it so it is always sitting in moisture the moisture will wick up into the 'wood' and the board will expand.

If you do not want a gap at the bottom why not buy some pressure treated dimensional lumber as a bottom board and then use your OSB from there up?
i guess i can do that, but wont the pressure treated lumber eventually rot too lol?
nyg052003 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
The one in the photo is a large 3 sided shed so water will blow in once in awhile. If you built up the ground under your shed so it drains well, You shouldn't have to worry to much. I have a small lean to on the side of another barn that always filled with water when it rained. I built up around the outside and inside with screenings and I don't have near the problem. If your floor is just dirt expecially clay its going to get soupy inside. I'm not sure where you live but here in Kansas they call the dirt I used, limestone screenings. There is some stuff thats even cheaper I think its called cutter run? It has more rocks in it but it will work the same to help drainage. Both are pretty cheap around $2 a ton here, plus hauling of course.
im gona have about a 2 ft overhang with the tin to help prevent the blowing of rain too bad
nyg052003 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg052003 View Post
i guess i can do that, but wont the pressure treated lumber eventually rot too lol?
Eventually anything will rot. So yes.

But the pressure treated lumber will take much longer to rot away than OSB will. OSB looses all of its strength when it gets wet. The moisture wicks right up into it as the glue breaks down.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 718
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
Eventually anything will rot. So yes.

But the pressure treated lumber will take much longer to rot away than OSB will. OSB looses all of its strength when it gets wet. The moisture wicks right up into it as the glue breaks down.
even though i was planning on painting it i might be better off getting the regular plywood rather it be plywood or PT plywood? Or will painting the osb be alright?
nyg052003 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There's a hole at bottom of my carrot sack... TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 2 07-03-2010 07:09 AM
Thank you from the bottom of my heart centrestableswendy Horse Talk 0 02-25-2010 03:17 PM
Droopy bottom lip..? equine fanatic99 Horse Health 10 01-08-2010 05:12 PM
Add an option to the bottom of each page Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 5 07-23-2009 03:12 PM
1" rough cut boards for stalls, etc? Eagle eye 1 Barn Maintenance 10 12-01-2008 10:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome