A slight dilema. - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 64
• Horses: 1
A slight dilema.

Hi there ! Before I start, cookies to all that finish this, I love you !

I am new to this forum. I own a Tennessee Walking Horse named Shocking. His show name is Shocking Affair. He is 9 years old. I currently event him, and he loves it. I have been riding for awhile but never really had a coach.

So, I bought my horse. I kept him at the barn where he was purchased because the price was decent, coaching and care was good, and the facilities impecable (sp?).

I convinced my friend to move her horse from her cozy little private barn, to come and enjoy the luxuries I was enjoying. Life was great, to be honest.

Lately, I have been having a few difficulties around my barn.
The coach is demanding now, and sometimes quite grouchy. She allows her frusteration and impatience to interfere when my horse and I have difficulties. I tend to be a nervous rider, and as a sensitive person, I tend to get teary and frusterated. Lessons are not fun.

I also can't be pushed to hard, or I tend to have mental blocks. Needless to say, I have a bold personality, and she does as well. You never know if she'll be in a good mood.

She just sent us an email, a week in advance to Febuary 1st, that there is a rate change starting Febuary 1st. It is only a $25 dollar raise, but I am having difficulties affording board at $450 anyway. I am fifteen years old and pay for the horse myself. She also added a crud load of rules, to cover all bases.

On the other hand, I love my barn to pieces. The boarders are great people, the facilities are beautiful, people help alot and lastly, my friends are there. I just am starting to dislike it all because of the coach.

My friend, who I brought to the farm is leaving March 1st. She loved it like me at first but it's changed. We just revieled this to eachother recently. We agreed to go together somewhere. However, she is moving to her previous farm. There is no interest for me at that barn, and besides there is no room.

I have look at a farm that is $50 dollars cheaper for the same type of facilities. There is a trail from that barn to my best friend's barn (the one she is moving back to).

I want to go to this new farm badly, but I don't want to leave .

My friends are there, and I love everything else except the coach and the price. Oh, and it's mandatory for lessons.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

cookies, cake and chocolate milk for anyone who read this.

My horse is the reason I wake up in the morning.
Shocking Affair - 1998 TWH x QH (my love)
Shawken is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,619
• Horses: 5
I guess it depends on how you want to spend the time you have with your horse. If you want to spend it being brow beaten to tears, but have your friends there for moral support then stay where you are. If you want to spend the time with your horse and only your horse with possible trail rides with your friend, then move to the other barn.
I'm much like you, if someone is harsh to me I have a tendency to get a lump in my throat and want to cry. It would not be fun for me at all in those circumstances. I want my horse time to be fun not cause for tears.
I would be looking for a new barn if I had to take lessons along with the board too. If you decide to stay there you need to have a heart to heart with your coach. Let her know you don't appreciate being brought to tears by her lessons.

Welcome to the forum by the way


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France

Last edited by Vidaloco; 01-27-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Vidaloco is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 64
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
I guess it depends on how you want to spend the time you have with your horse. If you want to spend it being brow beaten to tears, but have your friends there for moral support then stay where you are. If you want to spend the time with your horse and only your horse with possible trail rides with your friend, then move to the other barn.
I'm much like you, if someone is harsh to me I have a tendency to get a lump in my throat and want to cry. It would not be fun for me at all in those circumstances. I want my horse time to be fun not cause for tears.
I would be looking for a new barn if I had to take lessons along with the board too. If you decide to stay there you need to have a heart to heart with your coach. Let her know you don't appreciate being brought to tears by her lessons.
Thank you so much ! That is great advice . I think I am going to move there but I am afraid I am shutting a door of friendship, you know?

My horse is the reason I wake up in the morning.
Shocking Affair - 1998 TWH x QH (my love)
Shawken is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,619
• Horses: 5
Just blame it on the rate change. They can't argue with that, and I'm sure they are expecting to lose a few boarders after the hike.
If all else fails blame it on your parents. That's what I used to do when I was a teenager


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 64
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
Just blame it on the rate change. They can't argue with that, and I'm sure they are expecting to lose a few boarders after the hike.
If all else fails blame it on your parents. That's what I used to do when I was a teenager
LOL! That is to funny. I was going to blame it on the rate change and my lack of money sources. Great minds think alike. Your convincing me more and more by the second. Now, I just need to find out if this new farm is everything I have been told it is :)

My horse is the reason I wake up in the morning.
Shocking Affair - 1998 TWH x QH (my love)
Shawken is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
I knida had the same delima too. My coach never let me move up and she was just mean. I moved to our own farm and am able to spend every day with Blue and I love it! And I am also with the coach that taught me to ride, and I really love her. I have spent three hour car rides with her and spent a weekend with her in a hotel room at a show! We get along great and she really sees that I am a good rider. I think that if you don't get along with the trainer and she yells at you for no reason, it is time to move on, tell your friends that it isn't them. If they really are your friends they should understnad! WELCOME!

Jumping a horse = Getting wings!
Why live on the edge when you can jump off?- Greenwood Horse Trials Tee-Shirt
StormyBlues is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 64
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues View Post
I knida had the same delima too. My coach never let me move up and she was just mean. I moved to our own farm and am able to spend every day with Blue and I love it! And I am also with the coach that taught me to ride, and I really love her. I have spent three hour car rides with her and spent a weekend with her in a hotel room at a show! We get along great and she really sees that I am a good rider. I think that if you don't get along with the trainer and she yells at you for no reason, it is time to move on, tell your friends that it isn't them. If they really are your friends they should understnad! WELCOME!
That makes alor of sense. Looks like I better start searching around. I am not sure if I am going to go to this new farm or a different one.

Thanks!

My horse is the reason I wake up in the morning.
Shocking Affair - 1998 TWH x QH (my love)
Shawken is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,076
• Horses: 1
If I was you I would leave. Try to find a barn with people similar in age to you, and you should make new friends quickly. If possible, perhaps you could visit the barn you are at now to see your friends, or meet with them away from the barn. Good luck!
1dog3cats17rodents is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,850
• Horses: 2
Shawken, I want to thank you for the yummy cookies, cake and chocolate milk, really hit the spot!

I agree with the good advice you have already received and wish you good luck. Remember the time we spend with our horses should make us feel better, never worse. In the past, whenever I would start feeling tense ect... I would step back and evaluate what was contributing to that feeling and then make a decision. Trust your Gut!!
Walkamile is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-28-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 64
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents View Post
If I was you I would leave. Try to find a barn with people similar in age to you, and you should make new friends quickly. If possible, perhaps you could visit the barn you are at now to see your friends, or meet with them away from the barn. Good luck!
The barn I am looking at had several girls my age, as a few go to my school. I am just afraid that when I leave, my friends won't be interested in having me around or no longer being my best friends. I know that if they are good friends, then they won't. I still can't stop worrying. You know? I am afraid the coach will get defensive and not allow me back on. Even thought, I plan to blame the rate change .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamile View Post
Shawken, I want to thank you for the yummy cookies, cake and chocolate milk, really hit the spot!

I agree with the good advice you have already received and wish you good luck. Remember the time we spend with our horses should make us feel better, never worse. In the past, whenever I would start feeling tense ect... I would step back and evaluate what was contributing to that feeling and then make a decision. Trust your Gut!!
Very good advice! Thanks so much.

My horse is the reason I wake up in the morning.
Shocking Affair - 1998 TWH x QH (my love)
Shawken is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slight hay belly on foal? g8ted4me Horse Health 18 12-05-2008 03:13 PM
Quite a dilema :!: shorty Horse Health 3 05-03-2008 03:48 AM
Slight Daft Doggie Problem! Dave Singleton General Off Topic Discussion 17 07-31-2007 11:56 PM
slight problem moomoo Horse Riding Critique 3 04-10-2007 11:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome