Is there any money in horse boarding? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Is there any money in horse boarding?

This is a discussion on Is there any money in horse boarding? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Making a lilving boarding horses
  • Can you make money boarding horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
  #11
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela    
If your unsure do self board, or partial board where they provide feed but you do the work... Around here there is not much money to be made for full board for what I could charge for my place, but I have two horses out on self board and it's working out lovely..
I've personally never seen self board, and I'd be worried about horses being neglected and not fed...

Do you have an arena? You can also make money off renting out your arena.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
  #12
Yearling
You can make money in boarding if all your equipment and everything is paid off! I just started my facility and financed it all. I have about 30k in credit card debt and loans to pay for as well as a new 80hp tractor (with the cab my hubby just HAD to have) a john deere gator, a 4x4 dually, a dump trailer (we use it for gravel, sand, hay, bedding ect.) I break even with boarding alone.. most people take on boarders to make money with riding lessons like I do. If I didn't have to pay $4k in those bills every month then I'd definitely be making a profit with boarding alone!

Get on Newhorse.com and look at the surrounding boarding facilities and see what they charge. Run your costs vs the average boarding price and just see. However, if you are wanting to have an arena built boarders could be a way to help pay for it.

GOOOD LUCK! It is hard. Make sure you have a GOOD boarding agreement. Feel free to pm or email me if you have any questions.
     
    03-10-2011, 08:03 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela    
If your unsure do self board, or partial board where they provide feed but you do the work... Around here there is not much money to be made for full board for what I could charge for my place, but I have two horses out on self board and it's working out lovely..
This sound like a good idea not to mention the owners can't complain they don't like the what type of food their horse is eating. What would you charge for this type of an arrangement if I might ask?
     
    03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlinestables    
You can make money in boarding if all your equipment and everything is paid off! I just started my facility and financed it all. I have about 30k in credit card debt and loans to pay for as well as a new 80hp tractor (with the cab my hubby just HAD to have) a john deere gator, a 4x4 dually, a dump trailer (we use it for gravel, sand, hay, bedding ect.) I break even with boarding alone.. most people take on boarders to make money with riding lessons like I do. If I didn't have to pay $4k in those bills every month then I'd definitely be making a profit with boarding alone!

Get on Newhorse.com and look at the surrounding boarding facilities and see what they charge. Run your costs vs the average boarding price and just see. However, if you are wanting to have an arena built boarders could be a way to help pay for it.

GOOOD LUCK! It is hard. Make sure you have a GOOD boarding agreement. Feel free to pm or email me if you have any questions.
We have had our farm for about 20 years and I don't own anything. To make this work we would have to build a riding arena and that would cost me close to 80K. I really don't have a problem paying for it but like any investment I have made there has to be a payback. I'm just prepairing a business plan for my self to see if this is something that could carry itself and maybe make a few dollars along the way. It would also generate a job for my kids.
     
    03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
  #15
Yearling
So you are going to build an indoor or covered arena?
     
    03-11-2011, 08:53 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlinestables    
So you are going to build an indoor or covered arena?
I think a pole barn is the way to go. 70x120
     
    03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
  #17
Yearling
You mean build an arena with poles in it? I'm lost...
     
    03-12-2011, 12:15 PM
  #18
Showing
A pole building is a structure without a traditional foundation. The structure is supported on poles which are sunk in the ground and may or may not be cemented in place. Some have sides and some do not. It can be a very open area more then sufficient for stalls and a working arena of nearly any size necessary.

Here is just one of hundreds of choices: http://www.cbstructuresinc.com/
     
    03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
  #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryking    
Maybe if I was charging $800 but who would pay that?
I am a boarder rather than a barn owner - and I am sure it depends on the area you are in. But to charge this amount I would think you would need amazing facilities and a great reputation.

I personally would not pay more than $400 a month, there are $1k barns in my area, but I think some people have more money than sense.
     
    03-17-2011, 03:08 AM
  #20
Foal
I know that theres a barn in alberta called Spruce Meadows. They charge like over 1,000 but they have AMAZING facilities. Like pre-olympic stuff. So really unless you have a huge indoor and outdoor arena and several other arenas for specific disciplines with amazing stalls, feeding, huge paddocks and pastures and like a gazilion other amazing amenities, you probably shouldn't be charging over 500 for board. That's kind of the average for box stall board around here, 400-500. One place I know charges 500 for a box stall. They have a huge outdoor arena, huge indoor, 90 acre cross country course and 600+ acres of trails that they own.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to make money with my horse? site4pets Horse Training 15 10-12-2010 01:14 PM
Horse money continued Lovehorsesandrunning Horse Talk 3 06-03-2010 11:19 PM
Horse leasing money issues, help please!! ponycrazy Horse Talk 10 06-02-2010 05:08 PM
Looking to raise money for a horse>> Ak1 Horse Talk 6 05-31-2010 10:05 AM
lease/boarding money is an issue Aliboo Horse Talk 2 05-18-2009 09:18 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0