Ultimate Barns - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Ultimate Barns

This is a discussion on Ultimate Barns within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-10-2009, 06:09 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    I don`t like the cement walls horses can get hurt on them and leve you very large vet bills. My barn is partley heated in the tackroom/offic, and bath room so it gives of heat and we close all the doors. I have a thinsalte turn out sheet from smartpakequine he has on 24/7 when its cold on outlaw.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-10-2009, 07:41 PM
      #12
    Started
    Slightly OT, is that Ultimate Barns book worth it? I collect books like that.
         
        01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
      #13
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
    im sorry but I hate barns up north! It is too stuffy in them!
    Is that the only reason you hate them? I'm sure barns up here look just like barns down where you are... We only close them up when the horses are in at night, but the vents keep air moving without getting drafty.
         
        01-11-2009, 01:59 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    Is that the only reason you hate them? I'm sure barns up here look just like barns down where you are... We only close them up when the horses are in at night, but the vents keep air moving without getting drafty.
    yes that is the only thing I hate about them. The amonia just smells bad(my mom grew up in MI and told me all about it) Also the amonia just sits on the dirt floors. I forgot how much I hate dirt floors.... I will also add, that if you are building a barn to not do the traditional mud dirt floor. We had new floors put in. I think it is called euistall. It is rocks that are layered into egg carton type things that are made out of hard plastic. You fill those with very fine gravel and it is the best florring out there IMO. The urine sinks down into the gravel and helps keep amonia out. It has alot of give and it is very cussiony. It also helps because you don't have to use as much bedding! I will never put anything but it in stalls ever!
         
        01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
      #15
    Weanling
    I have concrete ilsies and stall mats in the stalls.
         
        01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
      #16
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
    yes that is the only thing I hate about them. The amonia just smells bad(my mom grew up in MI and told me all about it) Also the amonia just sits on the dirt floors. I forgot how much I hate dirt floors.... I will also add, that if you are building a barn to not do the traditional mud dirt floor. We had new floors put in. I think it is called euistall. It is rocks that are layered into egg carton type things that are made out of hard plastic. You fill those with very fine gravel and it is the best florring out there IMO. The urine sinks down into the gravel and helps keep amonia out. It has alot of give and it is very cussiony. It also helps because you don't have to use as much bedding! I will never put anything but it in stalls ever!
    Not all barns have floors like that, in fact, I don't know of any around here. The barn I board at and the barn we're building has concrete with thick stall mats and shavings. Alot of people also you stone dust screenings that are tamped down with mats over them. I'm sure there are even more old barns from all of the plantations in the south with dirt floors, from before concrete/screenings were "the thing" to put in...
    Old barns up here (i'm talking new england/mid atlantic) were often dairy barns with concrete in them, and if they still have dirt floors I doubt horse people own them
         
        01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kershkova    
    I have concrete ilsies and stall mats in the stalls.
    This is what I was going to do. I'm big on bedding. I hate seeing stalls with a thin layer of bedding and half the stall bare. I sure as heck wouldn't be comfortable sleeping on it, why would my horse?
         
        01-11-2009, 08:14 PM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    Not all barns have floors like that, in fact, I don't know of any around here. The barn I board at and the barn we're building has concrete with thick stall mats and shavings. Alot of people also you stone dust screenings that are tamped down with mats over them. I'm sure there are even more old barns from all of the plantations in the south with dirt floors, from before concrete/screenings were "the thing" to put in...
    Old barns up here (i'm talking new england/mid atlantic) were often dairy barns with concrete in them, and if they still have dirt floors I doubt horse people own them
    oh. Well I LOVE our stalls now. The dirt just wears down and is horrible for the horses legs. Hmmmmmm I haven't seen many dairy farms down here, lol!
         
        01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucara    
    This is what I was going to do. I'm big on bedding. I hate seeing stalls with a thin layer of bedding and half the stall bare. I sure as heck wouldn't be comfortable sleeping on it, why would my horse?
    try to find some info on the equi-stall. It is much better than the matts! And it doens't look comffy but the horses love it! It really helps their legs. We still use alot of shavings.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    The Ultimate Draw Reins....Help!!!! IN NEED of ADVICE!!! washington_rodeo_queen Horse Tack and Equipment 13 04-06-2008 02:49 AM
    Ultimate Trail Course GottaRide Horse Pictures 6 12-14-2007 04:31 PM
    the ultimate test I dream of horses Horse Stories and Poems 1 10-19-2007 10:36 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0