What kind of electric fenceing do you have? - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

What kind of electric fenceing do you have?

This is a discussion on What kind of electric fenceing do you have? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree9Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-10-2013, 07:07 PM
      #91
    Yearling
    Or if I sink the posts 3' into the ground can I brace them like the pic I posted earlier?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-10-2013, 08:43 PM
      #92
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koolio    
    As long as you brace the corners well, in both directions, you should be able to get away with 5" posts. For bracing, put a second post about 4' from your corner post and run a 2x4 or section of round fence rail in the inside between the corner post and this second post. Then use a longer 2x4 or round rail to go from the upper part of the corner post to the bottom of the second post. Basically you will have a giant number 7 between the corner and the second post. You will need to do the same on the other side.
    would this type of bracing work for hi tensile wire?
         
        04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
      #93
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
    I was also wondering if I could just put the brace post 5-6' from the corner/end post instead of 8'? I want to do an H brace or something just as strong. The 3" posts are 6' long. I wanted to sink the corner posts 2'-3' into the ground.
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. I might think about sinking the post a little deeper than just 2 ft and go at least 3.
         
        04-12-2013, 01:45 PM
      #94
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fort fireman    
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. I might think about sinking the post a little deeper than just 2 ft and go at least 3.
    I looked up a High tensile fencing HOW-TO and it said 8ft. The thing is I don't have 8ft long posts/rails. The longest I have is 6ft. And for the corner and brace posts I want to use 7ft long 5in wood posts, sink them 3 ft and add a 4-5ft,3in post as a brace. For two wires it should work, right?
    How do you tighten the wire? Can you tighten it by hand?
         
        04-12-2013, 08:16 PM
      #95
    Showing
    Put as long a point as you can. Most of mine are a ft. Long, done with a chain saw. We made four cuts. It does make a difference as to which end. One end it will go tho like butter and the other end it much harder. We put the thick end up. That's the way I've know for years on farms and ranches. When the butt of the post sits in the ground, it will eventually get pushed up. With a small diameter point, it will remain longer. As to how deep, some of our posts were pushed in with a loader which needed a full bucket. They were pushed and banged in. Any deeper than 2' and the post wanted to split. There is what is called hard pan, a cement like layer of clay that is difficult to penetrate. Even with a post pounder we were limited to depth. An auger will go deeper. When augered the posts have to have soil tamped around the post. With the post pounder once the post is in the ground, that's it. I hire a fellow who specializes in farm fencing. He pounds a post about every 10 min. He builds the corners. There is too much ice and snow right now or I'd send some pics of his corners. I just thought of something. Think of the letter H. That is how my corners are braced. The bar across is a post, anything over 3' is fine. Then run wire diagonally in an X and tighten. There is a gadget that's real slick. Easy to retighten when needed. Your corner will use 3 posts and two cross posts.
    horsecrazygirl13 likes this.
         
        04-12-2013, 09:48 PM
      #96
    Green Broke
    My post are 10 ' apart. I have the 2 " tape . Easier for the horses to see, and the charger is a pulse charger , they know they can try to push but then again it might bite, so stay off it. If it goes out, then they don't try the fence.
    They have to get zapped a couple of times before they respect it.
         
        04-12-2013, 11:01 PM
      #97
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
    I looked up a High tensile fencing HOW-TO and it said 8ft. The thing is I don't have 8ft long posts/rails. The longest I have is 6ft. And for the corner and brace posts I want to use 7ft long 5in wood posts, sink them 3 ft and add a 4-5ft,3in post as a brace. For two wires it should work, right?
    How do you tighten the wire? Can you tighten it by hand?
    I wouldn't try to tighten the wire by hand. Get some inline tensioners. You'll be able to get it tighter with them. They are like 4 bucks at tractor supply.
    horsecrazygirl13 likes this.
         
        04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
      #98
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    Put as long a point as you can. Most of mine are a ft. Long, done with a chain saw. We made four cuts. It does make a difference as to which end. One end it will go tho like butter and the other end it much harder. We put the thick end up. That's the way I've know for years on farms and ranches. When the butt of the post sits in the ground, it will eventually get pushed up. With a small diameter point, it will remain longer. As to how deep, some of our posts were pushed in with a loader which needed a full bucket. They were pushed and banged in. Any deeper than 2' and the post wanted to split. There is what is called hard pan, a cement like layer of clay that is difficult to penetrate. Even with a post pounder we were limited to depth. An auger will go deeper. When augered the posts have to have soil tamped around the post. With the post pounder once the post is in the ground, that's it. I hire a fellow who specializes in farm fencing. He pounds a post about every 10 min. He builds the corners. There is too much ice and snow right now or I'd send some pics of his corners. I just thought of something. Think of the letter H. That is how my corners are braced. The bar across is a post, anything over 3' is fine. Then run wire diagonally in an X and tighten. There is a gadget that's real slick. Easy to retighten when needed. Your corner will use 3 posts and two cross posts.
    Ok how thick should the points be? What about treating the cut part of the post? And is one end of the post really thicker? Which one? Thanks.
         
        04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
      #99
    Yearling
    BuMp
         
        04-15-2013, 11:51 AM
      #100
    Yearling
    Is it safe to use 2 strands of High tensile (bare wire) fencing in a 200x80ft paddock? Or should I use coated?
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Best electric fence? Get up and go Barn Maintenance 9 09-27-2012 11:52 PM
    What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 09:43 PM
    electric fencing xtwilightx Horse Talk 1 04-24-2011 01:56 AM
    Electric horse_luver4e Horse Training 13 04-09-2008 12:15 PM
    electric fencing KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 5 06-24-2007 10:36 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0