What kind of electric fenceing do you have? - Page 8
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

What kind of electric fenceing do you have?

This is a discussion on What kind of electric fenceing do you have? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree9Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-07-2013, 09:23 AM
      #71
    Foal
    Good info from this outfit IMO : Electric Fence Supplies for Fine Electric Fencing



    Boone
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-07-2013, 07:57 PM
      #72
    Yearling
    Would a two wire electric fence work for an 24/7 turnout?
         
        04-07-2013, 08:45 PM
      #73
    Showing
    Yes, two wires, a live and a ground wire would be better. If the horse takes a chance and pushes the upper wire he'll get a good snap, touch the lower one to boot and I promise you he'll do a turn on his haunches you could never teach. Horses can sense when the charger is on and you need at least 2000 volts preferably 3000 or more. If a dumb one tests it the idiot will put his nose on it, and after that you could probably keep him behind string. If you don't have a tester, get one, the cheapest model works altho the dinky little light can be hard to see during the day. The digitals are considerably more expensive but easy to read.
    Koolio and horsecrazygirl13 like this.
         
        04-07-2013, 10:38 PM
      #74
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    Yes, two wires, a live and a ground wire would be better. If the horse takes a chance and pushes the upper wire he'll get a good snap, touch the lower one to boot and I promise you he'll do a turn on his haunches you could never teach. Horses can sense when the charger is on and you need at least 2000 volts preferably 3000 or more. If a dumb one tests it the idiot will put his nose on it, and after that you could probably keep him behind string. If you don't have a tester, get one, the cheapest model works altho the dinky little light can be hard to see during the day. The digitals are considerably more expensive but easy to read.
    Thanks. Maybe I should stay with wire because my horse grew up with it and respects it(the people I got him from have all their paddocks and pastures fenced in with two to three strands of hi tensile wire). Even when The power is off, he wont push the wire over. How thick should the brace posts be set? How deep should they be? Could you post a pic or something to give me an idea of how the bracing is done? Thanks.
         
        04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
      #75
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
    My corner posts aren't real heavy but 5 posts were used to make the L. The uprights were notched then two posts trimmed to fit parallel to the ground. Fence wire was then run from the top of the post to the bottom of the other, going each way. The wire forms an X. Each strand of the X can be tightened. When both sides of the L are done this way the corner is rock solid. Koolio's posts aren't braced and after a few years the corners will start moving in. Because my soil is clay, we put long points on the posts and they were pounded in. Never put flat bottomed or barely pointed posts in as the front will start shoving them out. Long ponts even if augered in then pack wet sand and clay around them and tamp it hard. What you will find if you try to go much lower than 18" is that you hit hard pan which is like cement.
    How long should the points be? The posts I wanted to buy have points already.
         
        04-09-2013, 09:55 AM
      #76
    Weanling
    We use hi tensile to fence both cattle (2 strands) and horses (4 strands), total of 125 acres on three separate properties. We use solar fence chargers. Cross fence is poly rope & fiberglass posts (we move cross fence alot). If you are going to use hi tensile, do some research....do NOT put your posts too close together. Our line posts are 50-75 ft apart with fiberglass posts in between. Injuries are more likely when posts are set too close as the wire doesn't have room to "give" when something hits it. We've used ours for years and been very happy with it.
         
        04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
      #77
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bellasmom    
    We use hi tensile to fence both cattle (2 strands) and horses (4 strands), total of 125 acres on three separate properties. We use solar fence chargers. Cross fence is poly rope & fiberglass posts (we move cross fence alot). If you are going to use hi tensile, do some research....do NOT put your posts too close together. Our line posts are 50-75 ft apart with fiberglass posts in between. Injuries are more likely when posts are set too close as the wire doesn't have room to "give" when something hits it. We've used ours for years and been very happy with it.
    Well how about putting the thicker posts 40' apart? How deep should the corner posts be set and can't I just brace them like this?
         
        04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
      #78
    Weanling
    We set our corners 3-4 ft deep & use a brace called a "dead man"...it looks like what you have pictured, except the ends of the braces don't go into the ground, they rest on heavy square pavers.
         
        04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
      #79
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bellasmom    
    We set our corners 3-4 ft deep & use a brace called a "dead man"...it looks like what you have pictured, except the ends of the braces don't go into the ground, they rest on heavy square pavers.
    Thanks. I was wondering how thick the corner posts should be? Would 5" work? I was also thinking of putting a thicker post every 40' with smaller posts every 20'. Would that work?
         
        04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
      #80
    Weanling
    5" should be fine for corners, I would sink a heavy post every 40-50 ft and just use fiberglass or plastic posts in between (mainly just to keep the wires evenly spaced).
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Best electric fence? Get up and go Barn Maintenance 9 09-27-2012 10:52 PM
    What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
    electric fencing xtwilightx Horse Talk 1 04-24-2011 12:56 AM
    Electric horse_luver4e Horse Training 13 04-09-2008 11:15 AM
    electric fencing KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Tack and Equipment 5 06-24-2007 09:36 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0