what kind of tree? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

what kind of tree?

This is a discussion on what kind of tree? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Tree with helicopter seeds
  • Ash tree with hanging pods

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
  #11
Yearling
Ok here are some of the actual seeds:


I really hope its not red maple because that would be quite a few trees to cut down. I just wish this snow would go away! We just got another foot dumped on us yesterday.

Is this red maple? If I remember correctly, the leaves looked something like this... not 100% sure though.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-05-2013, 07:42 PM
  #12
Yearling
....or maybe it's this?
     
    03-05-2013, 07:43 PM
  #13
Green Broke
I'm 99.9% sure that's a Red Maple leaf. I'd have to look back at your original post, but did you say these were bordering your pasture, or in the pasture?
     
    03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  #14
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
....or maybe it's this?
Those are not maple leaves - possibly ash.
     
    03-05-2013, 07:45 PM
  #15
Green Broke
Hornbeam Maples have oval leaves, Acer carpinifolium.
Acer triflorum has oval leaves Three flower maple
Acer negundo has a compound leaf of 3-5 oval leaflets. Boxelder maple

The red maple fruit mature in May, so if the fruit is still on the tree this time of the year it is probably not a red maple.

Here is a good site for identification:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/acerub/acerub1.html
     
    03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
  #16
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernstar    
I'm 99.9% sure that's a Red Maple leaf. I'd have to look back at your original post, but did you say these were bordering your pasture, or in the pasture?
what about the second picture?
I think it was those... the trees are bordering our pasture. But they are really old and the branches hang over the pasture fence.
     
    03-05-2013, 07:48 PM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernstar    
Those are not maple leaves - possibly ash.
The site I got the pic from said they were maple...
Here:Winged Seed Pods And Leaves From A Maple Tree Stock Photography - Image: 14861812
     
    03-05-2013, 07:51 PM
  #18
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
what about the second picture?
I think it was those... the trees are bordering our pasture. But they are really old and the branches hang over the pasture fence.
This may be ash, and if so, you'll be just fine! One way to identify an ash tree in winter, is that the top branches resemble a "giant umbrella" opened up. White ash is easy, because the bark looks like long "diamond shapes".
     
    03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
  #19
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13    
Ok here are some of the actual seeds:


I really hope its not red maple because that would be quite a few trees to cut down. I just wish this snow would go away! We just got another foot dumped on us yesterday.

Is this red maple? If I remember correctly, the leaves looked something like this... not 100% sure though.
It is close but the petiole, leaf stem should be more red.

Acer rubrum
Northernstar likes this.
     
    03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
  #20
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton    
Hornbeam Maples have oval leaves, Acer carpinifolium.
Acer triflorum has oval leaves Three flower maple
Acer negundo has a compound leaf of 3-5 oval leaflets. Boxelder maple

The red maple fruit mature in May, so if the fruit is still on the tree this time of the year it is probably not a red maple.

Here is a good site for identification:

Acer rubrum
Yes the seeds are still on the trees but not all of them. I'm pretty sure they have the oval leaves like in that picture I posted. I'll double check the pasture in spring.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 09:43 PM
To tree or not to tree, that is the question! Honeysuga Horse Tack and Equipment 23 08-24-2010 03:17 PM
Help with tree sap? Kawairashii Ichigo Horse Grooming 20 08-07-2010 11:57 AM
Tree sap back in the crosby again Horse Grooming 14 11-20-2009 12:56 AM
what kind of tree? exp35post912 Horse Training 8 09-18-2008 05:55 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0