Who is responsible for repair?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Who is responsible for repair?

This is a discussion on Who is responsible for repair? within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Who is responsible for upkeep of gift
  • +boarders upkeep of property

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-03-2011, 04:55 PM
  #1
Foal
Who is responsible for repair?

Where I board my horse, the stall leaks and floods. The roof is bad. I have done what I can to keep flooding to a minimum. My question is, who is responsible for stall/barn maintenance and/or repair? The owner suggested I fix the roof over the stall...I wouldn't mind taking on the job if it's my responsibility. But before I do, I wanna make sure I'm supposed to. Please help.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
  #2
Started
I would think it would be the barn owner. What if you fell and got hurt? What recourse would you have then?
     
    08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem88    
I would think it would be the barn owner. What if you fell and got hurt? What recourse would you have then?
Good point, I never thought of that....but how do I approach that? Fix the roof please, bc if I fall N get hurt, I'll sue? HAH.
     
    08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
  #4
Showing
If you're paying this person to board your horse, they're responsible for upkeep and maintenance of the property.

If however, you're receiving free board in exchange for working around the property, that can blur the line about just who's responsible for upkeep.

Ultimately, what does your written boarding contract state? If you don't have one, you need to get one.
     
    08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
If you're paying this person to board your horse, they're responsible for upkeep and maintenance of the property.

If however, you're receiving free board in exchange for working around the property, that can blur the line about just who's responsible for upkeep.

Ultimately, what does your written boarding contract state? If you don't have one, you need to get one.
I pay $140.00 a month for board, the barn manager feeds her in the morning and turn her out on her days out, but do no stall work or such. I clean my own stall, feed her in the evenings and buy all my own feed.

...and don't go to hard on me, but there was no contract. I saw the property, paid them the fee and that's how it's been ever since. All the boarders there are like that. No contract. Just a "pay as you go" type thing.
     
    08-03-2011, 05:55 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokoneki    
...and don't go to hard on me, but there was no contract. I saw the property, paid them the fee and that's how it's been ever since. All the boarders there are like that. No contract. Just a "pay as you go" type thing.
This may come back to bite you in the behind. Written boarding contracts are to protect everyone, BO and boarder alike. If you don't have one and things go south, as they often do in this type of situation, you're SOL and it's all he said/she said with the property owner having the upper hand.

I personally wouldn't board without a written contract, but that's just me. Seen too many situations like yours go bad over the years, and I refused to deliberately put myself and my horses in harm's way.

In any case, since you're paying to board and providing your own feed and cleaning your horse's stall, it's the property owner's responsibility to make repairs. Whether or not they'll actually make any repairs is another story entirely. If you don't like the way things are, the only real recourse you have is to move your horse somewhere else.
     
    08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
  #7
Green Broke
^^I agree. The real bad thing is if its that bad of a leak there are several things that can happen.

Horse stands in water and poo. More money for bedding. The roof could cave in. You just might have an issue here if this BO doesn't want to fix the roof. I would be looking for a new place to board.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-03-2011, 09:28 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
This may come back to bite you in the behind. Written boarding contracts are to protect everyone, BO and boarder alike. If you don't have one and things go south, as they often do in this type of situation, you're SOL and it's all he said/she said with the property owner having the upper hand.

I personally wouldn't board without a written contract, but that's just me. Seen too many situations like yours go bad over the years, and I refused to deliberately put myself and my horses in harm's way.

In any case, since you're paying to board and providing your own feed and cleaning your horse's stall, it's the property owner's responsibility to make repairs. Whether or not they'll actually make any repairs is another story entirely. If you don't like the way things are, the only real recourse you have is to move your horse somewhere else.
Yes, yes and yes - on all counts. Ultimately, it may be time to seek another situation for you/your horse. It will really come down to whether the current price is worth the cost to you/your horse - it's going to be a matter of what your priorities are.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's responsible Poco1220 Horse Breeding 14 09-26-2010 12:05 AM
Who is responsible for all the hockey ads on here? My Beau General Off Topic Discussion 2 04-24-2010 10:12 PM
am I responsible nldiaz66 Horse Law 24 07-02-2009 05:29 PM
The Horse Forum and its members are not responsible Mike_Admin Horse Law 0 10-15-2008 03:13 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0