Wood chewer
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Barn Maintenance

Wood chewer

This is a discussion on Wood chewer within the Barn Maintenance forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-20-2012, 03:02 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Wood chewer

    Ahhhhh im going crazy!!! Okay we have an old mule ( he is my absalute baby) and he is having a tough time this winter, he is one pain medacation that the vet prescribed but he still chews the wood badly.

    He is very bored which is probely part of it but he wont play with anything I give him!!

    If he keeps chewing my mom will kick his butt out of the arena!!! She loves him to but if he keeps chewing the BEAMS that he is chewing our whole barn will fall down!!!!!!

    I have been spraying no chew on there 5 TIMES A DAY!! And I was tottaly sick of it so I went and found this really toxic wood preserver and it is green coloured and it stinks and is VERY toxic. I pretty much painted the whole barn and I thought well that's gotta be one very bored mule if he still eats this stuff or he doesnt have a sense of smell because this crap stinks!!

    HE CHEWED AGAIN gahhhhhhh im mad, I love him to deatha dn I don't want to boot him outside because he will slip and break somthing and im posative of it!! I am pretty sure it is of boredom and a little pain!! I am going to get him a lick it but I don't know what to do witht he walls, Our whole barn is made of wood and I don't want it ti fall and DEFADENTLY NOT ON HIM.

    Oh neddie look at what youve done, I am scared to see him in the morning....

    HELP ME PLEASE
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-20-2012, 03:41 AM
      #2
    Yearling
    I've taken bars of soap and heavily coated all the available wooden areas of our shelter. Its stopped our horses 100% from chewing. :) good luck
    WickedNag, Janna and GoingGirl like this.
         
        11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
      #3
    Showing
    If you have poplar trees growing in your area, cut a few 3 or 4" diameter ones. My horses chew one like beaver. He may be looking for fiber and needs more hay.
         
        11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
      #4
    Trained
    Firstly the toxic chems need to be removed. Why would you think something toxic is okay just because its smelly? Horses don't think "oh that smells bad it must be poison!". Horses are more likely to think "hey that smells funny, I wonder what it tastes like". Smells to us are not the same to animals.

    "Paint" the areas with bars of soap or liquid soap. THAT will taste awful and is non toxic.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
      #5
    Foal
    DancingArabian it was not me who thought of it, and he is a MULE not ha horse, mules are much more intelagent then horses


    I will try the soap

    All me have is popular trees so ill chop one of those up

    Can then chewing a popular tree cause splinter????
         
        11-20-2012, 12:22 PM
      #6
    Trained
    The toxic stuff still has to go. Mules are not so smart that they think like people and avoid something that might be toxic because it smells bad. They're simply not. If he was he wouldn't have continued chewing after the stuff was applied.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
      #7
    Foal
    DancingArabian it will wear off because its stuck on there now LOL but I will try the soap stuff
         
        11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Products like stop chew seem to be nothing more than candy for horses. Haven't had it stop my horses or anyone elses that I know, rather it encourages them to chew more.

    The best non-toxic thing I've seen work is wrapping the wood with metal sheeting. This can be anything from old tin off a roof or metal corner pieces used in dry wall. Just have to mount it in a way they can't cut themselves on sharp edges.

    Best toxic method I've seen is painting wood with used motor oil. They give it one go then give up. Haven't tried the soap idea but sounds like a good idea for my next chewer.
    xJumperx likes this.
         
        11-24-2012, 01:43 PM
      #9
    Trained
    The metal doesn't work for all - and it can damage teeth. It's not pretty.

    Toxic things should never be used around animals. The dish soap is not harmful and tastes terrible. Why opt for a poison that an animal doesn't understand when there are other things?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
      #10
    Green Broke
    Sorry but I've seen metal work for several people and the horses don't damage their teeth because they give it a couple tries and stop. Same goes for used motor oil. They give it a try and stop but I do agree it's not the best solution, if a horse does get a hankoring for oil it wouldn't go well long term.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Wood chewing, help. CurlyIsASpecialStandie Horse Health 22 06-29-2012 09:59 PM
    Does anyone have a chewer? Newby32 Horse Talk 7 01-15-2012 04:16 PM
    Chewing wood... LuckyRVT Horse Health 5 12-05-2011 10:04 PM
    stressed cribber/tongue chewer CJ82Sky Horse Health 2 06-06-2011 03:35 PM
    Mane Chewer... Haylee Horse Training 6 03-16-2011 06:18 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0