Banding boots to stirrups? - Page 6
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Barrel Racing

Banding boots to stirrups?

This is a discussion on Banding boots to stirrups? within the Barrel Racing forums, part of the Western Riding category

    Like Tree67Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
      #51
    Foal
    All because her rubberbands DIDNT break!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-05-2013, 08:01 PM
      #52
    Foal
    Banding feet in my eyes are just like harsh bits. If you're new and you don't know how to ride you shouldn't use them. A girl just starting to ride should be learning to use light hands and a good seat. Once she has that down, she can move up to a strong bit and faster speeds. But someone bouncing around has no place using long shanks and combo bits.
    Same goes for banding. If you can't ride a horse at a strong canter while staying balanced the bands need to stay off. Once you are starting to be competitive and know what you're doing, go ahead and band your feet in. Hell, its your life do what you want
         
        09-05-2013, 08:42 PM
      #53
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IRaceBarrels    
    Banding feet in my eyes are just like harsh bits. If you're new and you don't know how to ride you shouldn't use them. A girl just starting to ride should be learning to use light hands and a good seat. Once she has that down, she can move up to a strong bit and faster speeds. But someone bouncing around has no place using long shanks and combo bits.
    Same goes for banding. If you can't ride a horse at a strong canter while staying balanced the bands need to stay off. Once you are starting to be competitive and know what you're doing, go ahead and band your feet in. Hell, its your life do what you want
    That's my view on it basically. I feel plenty still use it as a crutch, but if their under my instruction they won't lol.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-06-2013, 12:09 AM
      #54
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iseul    
    1RedHorse, I've run 2D barrel horses and ponies without stirrups before.
    I've ridden a 3D mare with tge roughest, bunny hop run you could imagine. I lost one with her, dropped my other and still had a faster time than our last one.
    Soo..I'm kinda wanting to take you up on the challenge, lol.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ok. No sturrips and send my guys in from tge back 40. Won't be pretty or fast

    I started off riding english and WP...did eq classes etc before and during my barrel racing career. Blahhh blahhh blaaahhh I can ride without sturrips too blahhhh blaahhhh
    But trust me....not on my 2 lol

    I think im just going to bow out as im beating my head against a wall reading this thread. I don't see how rubber bands have ANYTHING to do with balance. Theyre pieces of latex around the bottom of my boot. Your balance and strength comes from your core and legs not your feet. If your bands are jacking with your balance then theyre clearly too thick and tight and that's why people get drug.

    I run at large jackpots 400+ entries and semi pro/amatuer rodeos. With all of the money I put into it you're dang right ilp give myself some insurance and band my feet.

    If that gets me labeled as less of a rider on some forum...so be it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-06-2013, 01:51 AM
      #55
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1RedHorse    
    Ok. No sturrips and send my guys in from tge back 40. Won't be pretty or fast

    I started off riding english and WP...did eq classes etc before and during my barrel racing career. Blahhh blahhh blaaahhh I can ride without sturrips too blahhhh blaahhhh
    But trust me....not on my 2 lol

    I think im just going to bow out as im beating my head against a wall reading this thread. I don't see how rubber bands have ANYTHING to do with balance. Theyre pieces of latex around the bottom of my boot. Your balance and strength comes from your core and legs not your feet. If your bands are jacking with your balance then theyre clearly too thick and tight and that's why people get drug.

    I run at large jackpots 400+ entries and semi pro/amatuer rodeos. With all of the money I put into it you're dang right ilp give myself some insurance and band my feet.

    If that gets me labeled as less of a rider on some forum...so be it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I have to agree, I've got a hell of a seat but I wouldn't run my horses balls to the wall with no stirrups, but that's my horses, there are some I would though. In conclusion of my thoughts: I don't agree with them being used on children who can't keep their feet in, or anyone for that matter. I do not have an issue with good riders (riders who don't rely on them) using it as "insurance".
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Corporal and bhorselover like this.
         
        09-06-2013, 02:51 AM
      #56
    Foal
    Thats what I was thinking If your a good rider and know how not to loose a stirrup when running but spend a big entree fee or at a big show,I understand in those circumstances because you never know if you have to push your horse off the barrel and your foot slides out that would suck! But if you are constantly loosing stirrups I don't believe you should use them because it usually means your not balanced enough and need to work on it instead of taking a short cut! And 1RedHorse, Yes your feet have alot to do with your balance, try riding with your toes down and see what happens!


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AriatChick772    
    I have to agree, I've got a hell of a seat but I wouldn't run my horses balls to the wall with no stirrups, but that's my horses, there are some I would though. In conclusion of my thoughts: I don't agree with them being used on children who can't keep their feet in, or anyone for that matter. I do not have an issue with good riders (riders who don't rely on them) using it as "insurance".
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-06-2013, 01:51 PM
      #57
    Weanling
    Yeah, I understand doing it with money involved. As added insurance.
         
        09-09-2013, 01:57 AM
      #58
    Foal
    I would never do that, and id hate to see someone else do it either. I prefer to stay in the saddle of my own skill and balance than be held in. I don't see any point to it
         
        09-09-2013, 03:20 PM
      #59
    Foal
    I personally band my feet in only when I am at a show. During lessons or practicing no. My reasoning is for sense of security. I will pull up in a run if I loose a stirrup because of previous diggers I have taken. Do I need them to run? Nope. I know they will break (past experience lol) As for children? No for one they should learn to keep their weight in their heels. For two they don'tweigh enough to snap.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-09-2013, 03:52 PM
      #60
    Trained
    Sometimes mine break if I give a good kick...lol.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Riding with fender style stirrups vs. english stirrups and leathers Saskia Horse Riding 3 11-24-2012 09:24 PM
    Tying boots into stirrups?! VanillaBean Barrel Racing 7 03-12-2012 09:59 PM
    Breeches, Girths, Bits, Boots, Helmet, Stirrups, Etc! JustMuckItxD Tack and Equipment Classifieds 7 03-07-2012 07:31 PM
    Many items for sale - blanket, stirrups, girths, pad, boots, clothes, bits, etc NiftyJ88 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 09-05-2011 06:07 PM
    Banding Help KcFinancialBurn Horse Grooming 0 03-05-2011 07:40 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0