Barrel Horse Breeds? - The Horse Forum

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Barrel Horse Breeds?

Okay, my passion is Quarter Horses, but I would ride any other breed basically, I am looking to buy a horse I can train for barrels, any suggestions if I can't find a good QH or Paint or Appy? (Those are my 3 most prefered breeds for barrels.)
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,648
• Horses: 6
If you're doing fun local playdays, it does not matter the breed. If you want to be competitive at any sort of higher level, stick with the Quarter Horse.
bubba13 is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: abilene,tx
Posts: 4,229
• Horses: 4
A paint can compete with quarters pretty well although im not to sure about the appys...

just a small town girl with a big town dream :]
BarrelracingArabian is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,355
• Horses: 2
well paints do have quarter horse in them or tb. It just depends on the breeding of the paint.You can check by their papers if you really want to stick to quarter horses. I wouldn't get anything too tall...probably stick to 15.2 and under.Thats what my preference would be for a barrel horse.
Gidget is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
• Horses: 0
Size is irrelevant.
My 16 hand horse out turned my 15.1 hand gelding.
beau159 and Barrels4Lyfe like this.
1RedHorse is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 746
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RedHorse View Post
Size is irrelevant.
My 16 hand horse out turned my 15.1 hand gelding.
and my 13.1hh pony beats all other horses!

I know a few TB and TB crosses that are great at barrels, also some Arabian are bloody brilliant!

Good luck
Barrels4Lyfe likes this.
iloverains is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 564
• Horses: 0
I like my Paint with all quarter horse breeding. There's an appy around here that runs 1D. I used to win the 3D all the time when I was 7 on my little 13 hand mutt pony, qualified for Youth World on him too. Stock breeds are best, but thoroughbreds can be pretty competitive too. Quarter Horses, Paints, Appaloosas. As for size, everybody would die if they came to one of my shows. The horses are giants, most are 16 hands or a little over. Not saying there aren't little horses, there is their all competitive. Everyone here just has the mindset of bigger is better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Barrels4Lyfe likes this.
BarrelRacer86 is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian View Post
A paint can compete with quarters pretty well although im not to sure about the appys...
What I say is if Arabians can Appys TOTALLY can :P
kevinshorses likes this.
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverains View Post
and my 13.1hh pony beats all other horses!

I know a few TB and TB crosses that are great at barrels, also some Arabian are bloody brilliant!

Good luck
Haha! Yeah, my friend breeds Welsh and he says that I can train his ponies for barrels whenever I come over next :P
Thanks!
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraskaaa
Posts: 49
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
well paints do have quarter horse in them or tb. It just depends on the breeding of the paint.You can check by their papers if you really want to stick to quarter horses. I wouldn't get anything too tall...probably stick to 15.2 and under.Thats what my preference would be for a barrel horse.
I ride a 16.3 hh QH mare right now :P Im still deciding if I want to get a different barrel horse or not because this is my friends horse Im using, but she's basically mine, cause no one else rides her. She is out of the Two Eyed lines, so she is bred for showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RedHorse View Post
Size is irrelevant.
My 16 hand horse out turned my 15.1 hand gelding.
Tall horses rule! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRacer86 View Post
I like my Paint with all quarter horse breeding. There's an appy around here that runs 1D. I used to win the 3D all the time when I was 7 on my little 13 hand mutt pony, qualified for Youth World on him too. Stock breeds are best, but thoroughbreds can be pretty competitive too. Quarter Horses, Paints, Appaloosas. As for size, everybody would die if they came to one of my shows. The horses are giants, most are 16 hands or a little over. Not saying there aren't little horses, there is their all competitive. Everyone here just has the mindset of bigger is better.
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL! I was actually going to get a 17 hh Paint and train him for barrels but he was sold out from under me.
Barrels4Lyfe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A-Z of horse breeds speedy da fish Games 3 05-11-2010 08:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome