Have you ever had a horse with this injury?
If so what did you do for healing?
How did the horse heal?
How long was the horse out?
Did/have you run the horse again?
Trying to get feed back on this kind of injury.
A few weeks ago my mare came up lame. I noticed some swelling in her left front leg and it was a very noticable limp but there was no heat.
I ran some cold water on it and started her on some bute and put some liniment on it then wrapped it. A nerby vet was already schedualed to come out to do some blood work on another horse so I gave it a few days until he was planned to come out and let him have a look at it. She hurt herself on a thursday and it was the following tuesday that he came out.
By the time he had come out I had already self diagnosed her to have pulled her deep flxor tendon due to the fact of where the swelling was. Also after a few days of the above methodes of treatment she was no longer limping (well just a little almost not at all) (she was on half the recommended dosages of bute) and the swelling had gone down. The vet that came out - mind you - is no equine specialist, but from what he does know he said that my diagnoses was right (my farrier also agreed). When I asked the vet what I should do and his thoughts he said I could take her to have an ultrasound done to see what was really going on in there but that by the looks of things and how my mare was acting he thinks she may have just stressed it or slightly pulled it, he did not think she had torn or broken anything. He said to just continue to do what I was doing and give her time and she would be fine, he also recommended me to give her the full dosage of bute. About a week later he returned to give a shot that he had to order for the horse he did blood work on when he took another look at my mare, again he said not worry continue doing what I was doing and that she seemed to be fine. He also told me not to stall rest her and at this point nothing had changed. During this week I had kept up with the things I had listed above but I did go back to the half dosage of bute - just do not like to over due it, I also started her on a tendon supplement.
At that point she still had some swelling but was not limping at all so about a week later I stopped giving her bute. It has now been 8 weeks, almost 9, since she started limping and I am sick of waiting around. I am not worried about her being able to show anytime soon I just want to know what and if something is really wrong.
I went against my better judgement by trusted this vet instead of taking her to an equine specialist and waiting it out. Although she is sound to the eye and almost all swelling is gone and it really has not been that long seeing as it is a tendon injury, I just want to know 100% what the problem is.
I have an appointment Wednesday @ 4pm to see the vet and get an ultrasound done of her leg. I just want to know if and when I can start back riding her and make sure there is no major/minor damage done.
This is the first and hopefully the last time I have to deal with this kind of injury and I care more about her well being then about her career so please give me your thoughts and advise.
I am willing to answer all questions, thank you :)