Just starting my horse on the pattern - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 940
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau159 View Post
Which is one of the reasons why I asked you to post a picture of the actual bit you are using, which now is not that?


Yes, he only shook his head one time in the 30-some-second video. But I would highly suspect he does it more often than you notice; especially since he has a known issue from his previous owners.
Okay, sorry for not running straight away to the barn, and taking a picture of my bit. Which, is not a severe bit. My horse works well in it, and that's what matters.
Yes, he shook his head in this video, but last time I checked he was my horse, and I know him. Not you. He doesn't do that, I'm pretty sure that was the first time he's done that. I take good care of him, and wouldn't do anything to cause him pain or discomfort. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Roxiandsplotch likes this.
Rideordie112 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,765
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
Okay, sorry for not running straight away to the barn, and taking a picture of my bit. Which, is not a severe bit. My horse works well in it, and that's what matters.
Yes, he shook his head in this video, but last time I checked he was my horse, and I know him. Not you. He doesn't do that, I'm pretty sure that was the first time he's done that. I take good care of him, and wouldn't do anything to cause him pain or discomfort. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
You came here asking for opinions, and now your getting pissy because it's not what you want to hear? Your horse has holes...multiple holes...In his training. Beau is an excellent person to go to for advice and I would take what she says to heart.

You can take the constructive criticism and put it to good use, or choose not to listen to it. That's your choice. But you have gotten excellent advice and are not being very nice about it. If you choose to keep your head hidden under a rock, you'll never learn anything, nor will you even improve as a rider or trainer...and your horse will never get better.
Posted via Mobile Device
beau159 and barrelbeginner like this.
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 940
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 View Post
You came here asking for opinions, and now your getting pissy because it's not what you want to hear? Your horse has holes...multiple holes...In his training. Beau is an excellent person to go to for advice and I would take what she says to heart.

You can take the constructive criticism and put it to good use, or choose not to listen to it. That's your choice. But you have gotten excellent advice and are not being very nice about it. If you choose to keep your head hidden under a rock, you'll never learn anything, nor will you even improve as a rider or trainer...and your horse will never get better.
Posted via Mobile Device
I never said that she wasn't giving me good advice, and I said I would take it as far as the barrel pattern goes, and I appreciate it. I just don't agree with what she said about the bit, and him being in pain, and she seemed to keep emphasizing on that. I don't want a perfectly trained barrel horse, it's not very nice to say that my horse isn't "broke" he's just fine for what I'm doing. So, I appreciate the pattern advice, but I don't really like that from a 30 second video you can decide if my horse is in pain or not, or that he does this a lot, or that my bit is bad etc. I appreciate the pattern advice, it's great. I never once said anything negative about that, if you think I'm pissy don't comment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
• Horses: 0
Crap...I can't see video. Is it on youtube?
Posted via Mobile Device
1RedHorse is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 940
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RedHorse View Post
Crap...I can't see video. Is it on youtube?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, I can put it on there later though. Here's another link to it.
View My Video
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,373
• Horses: 3
I noticed you were starting to get defensive as your posts went on. Not sure why, as you have no reason to get defensive. I applaud anyone who puts themselves up for critique on a public forum like this, because it can be really eye-opening sometimes.

But now you are getting down right snotty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
Okay, sorry for not running straight away to the barn, and taking a picture of my bit. Which, is not a severe bit. My horse works well in it, and that's what matters.
You have zero reason to get cranky with me when you did not post a correct picture of the bit you were using. I cannot read your mind. I cannot possibly know that your bit doesn't have as long of shanks as that bit, if you do not tell me.

Especially when you get snarky and say "it was the first one that came up" in a Google search .... and it's still the not the right bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
Yes, he shook his head in this video, but last time I checked he was my horse, and I know him. Not you.
Again, why are you getting nasty? What's your problem?

Yes, I have only got about 30 seconds to go by. And he shook his head very early into it. And you did nothing to correct him. If you let it slide once, I guarantee he will do it again.

Really, really pay attention to your horse. Often times they do things without us really noticing. Including head shaking. I am guilty of not paying perfect attention all the time too. It took posting a critique on here for other people to point it out. When they pointed it out, I'm thinking "Duh! Why didn't I correct him for that?". You need to be honest with yourself when you say it was the first time he's done that. Is that really the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
He doesn't do that, I'm pretty sure that was the first time he's done that. I take good care of him, and wouldn't do anything to cause him pain or discomfort.
Why do you phrase it as if someone said you were a horrible person inflicting horrible pain on your horse? (There's that defensive response again.) Yes, I asked if he has been checked by the dentist and chiro, and if his saddle fits well. Often times, this is why a horse will shake their head or wring their tail. I cannot read your mind and assume you have done these things, unless I ask you. There are lots of people who don't do these basic health checks with their horse. And there's no reason to get attitude with me for simply asking. I cannot know the answer, unless I ask you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
I never said that she wasn't giving me good advice, and I said I would take it as far as the barrel pattern goes, and I appreciate it.
What I have been trying to explain is that the barrel pattern is more than the barrel pattern. How well you can execute a barrel pattern depends on how fine-tuned your horse is to your cues. And it depends on what tack you use to send those cues to your horse; in particular, the bit.

If you can move every piece of your horse's body with extreme precision, you are going to be able to pilot him more effectively through a barrel pattern and place his feet exactly where you need them to go.

Rather, if you simply run around 3 cans, sure, it'll still work. And yes, it'll be perfectly fine for fun local gaming shows. But you came on here asking for ways you can improve. You need to get better training and precision from your horse if you truly want to improve (and I've said that before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
I just don't agree with what she said about the bit, and him being in pain, and she seemed to keep emphasizing on that.
Where have I "emphasized" this so? I asked you once about possible pain (teeth, chiro, saddle), and you answered my question.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideordie112 View Post
I don't want a perfectly trained barrel horse, it's not very nice to say that my horse isn't "broke" he's just fine for what I'm doing.
Again, you are getting defensive when you have no reason to. Never did I say that your horse was not broke, nor did I imply it. But he could be more broke than he is. You could have better body control over him than what you have. There is always room for improvement; even on the world's best barrel horse, because they will still need maintenance to stay that way.

∞*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 12-22-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 940
• Horses: 2
Okay, I'm sorry that I misenterperted what you said. I guess I was feeling attacked. Thank you for you're advice, I'll work on your points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rideordie112 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Starting a horse that knows NOTHING sarahjgarrety Horse Training 6 09-15-2013 09:15 PM
Starting a Barrel Pattern Bre Barrel Racing 1 07-22-2013 04:41 PM
Whats Your Favorite Color/Pattern of Horse? horsefan3000 Horse Colors and Genetics 78 02-08-2013 07:50 AM
Odd color pattern(?) on a brown horse Saranda Horse Colors and Genetics 8 10-16-2012 06:55 AM
Starting your own horse Spyder Horse Training 28 06-27-2009 03:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome