Small rant.. - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Barrel Racing

Small rant..

This is a discussion on Small rant.. within the Barrel Racing forums, part of the Western Riding category

    Like Tree5Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-16-2012, 11:52 PM
      #21
    Green Broke
    I'll look into that CLaPorte.. I'm just one that refuses to resort to the bicycle chain mouth piece and a shot of tranq to be able to show my horse.. That's NOT going to happen.

    I'm not even a big fan of calming supplements..I just think that you can work around those issues.

    REMOVED COMMENT (Moderating team)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-16-2012, 11:53 PM
      #22
    Trained
    It really just sounds like if you find a bit that she is really happy/comfortable in and then take it slow and keep her comfortable, you should be able to bring her back. Not going to be a quick fix by any means, but then you know that.
         
        04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
      #23
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NdAppy    
    It really just sounds like if you find a bit that she is really happy/comfortable in and then take it slow and keep her comfortable, you should be able to bring her back. Not going to be a quick fix by any means, but then you know that.
    Exactly, and I'm fine with that.. It's not like I'm not doing very well on Nikki and that I am in need of another horse..
         
        04-17-2012, 08:36 AM
      #24
    Weanling
    I'm sorry I can't really offer any advice, other than to just try to stay patient (as you have been) and not to give up on your sweet girl.
         
        04-17-2012, 08:54 AM
      #25
    Green Broke
    I found out the hard way when riding Duffy she had been beaten, and I had no idea. I used a dressage whip and just brushed her with it and I have no idea how I stayed on. Previous owner beat her with it.

    Small steps will get you there, I have no training advice other than using vocal praise with her to encourage her in what she's doing. It'l take time, but it takes longer to heal the scars than produce them.

    Best of luck, I'm hoping it works out for you.

    Also, I used bachs rescue remedy on a very nervous gelding once, few drops in their water- all natural. Worked a dream, might be worth looking in to!
         
        04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
      #26
    Weanling
    Yeah maybe you should sel trade give her to someone who wants this problem and find a horse that you don't have to mess with this much. Theres people out there that love fixing the broken even if its not fixing them back to what they used to be but making them a horse worth having. Trust me im one.
         
        04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenbryerfarms    
    yeah maybe you should sel trade give her to someone who wants this problem and find a horse that you don't have to mess with this much. Theres people out there that love fixing the broken even if its not fixing them back to what they used to be but making them a horse worth having. Trust me im one.
    I understand where you're coming from, but it's not like she's my only horse. I have two other horses.. My other mare is my main horse and who I am showing this year and doing very well on... I took Lark on as a project horse and am trying to bring her back around.. I don't see it as a "problem" or Lark as a problem horse, just as an issue that will get better with work and time. She's too good of a horse in other areas to just sell or trade...If anything else I know she's an amazing trail horse and babysitter, she also has great bloodlines, is a great mom, and has produced two great foals that are now being started and beginning their careers off great. ..So it's not like she's just "another horse", if she ends up not ever running barrels again, I know that I tried with her..and I plan on breeding her in the future because she IS proven, has the bloodlines, and has already shown that she produces really good offspring..
         
        04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
      #28
    Weanling
    *+-

    That's great! I didnt know you was such a person! Im glad she's in a forever home with someone who loves her no matter what have you tryed just restarting from the begining? I read something in a magazine about a barrel horse with a bad past that got retrained to take the right barrel first and it like "reset" the horse? I don't know much about it but they made nationals 3 years in a row!
    And the horse now runs the left first.
         
        04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
      #29
    Green Broke
    Thanks, yeah, she's definitely got a home with me..running barrels or not.. Since November we've just been taking things slow, I've taken her to different arenas a few times but never really pushed her for her full potential.. Since the show in late March I'm just taking it easy on her, we haven't done any barrel work in three weeks now. If I do take her to the show this weekend she'll just trot the pattern or lope at the fastest, ONLY IF, she wants to.. I'm not going to do anything that makes her uncomfortable, just let her coast through it and figure it out for herself that I'm going to let her work and stay out of her way and not snatch on her and whip her..
         
        04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
      #30
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrumRunner    
    Thanks, yeah, she's definitely got a home with me..running barrels or not.. Since November we've just been taking things slow, I've taken her to different arenas a few times but never really pushed her for her full potential.. Since the show in late March I'm just taking it easy on her, we haven't done any barrel work in three weeks now. If I do take her to the show this weekend she'll just trot the pattern or lope at the fastest, ONLY IF, she wants to.. I'm not going to do anything that makes her uncomfortable, just let her coast through it and figure it out for herself that I'm going to let her work and stay out of her way and not snatch on her and whip her..
    let us know how she does!!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    "This horse is trained" *small rant* MN Tigerstripes Horse Talk 7 09-21-2010 11:30 AM
    small rant... Regan7312 General Off Topic Discussion 17 07-20-2010 07:51 PM
    Separating and Weaning Mini-Donkeysn (a small rant) charlicata Miniature Horses 0 03-15-2010 10:13 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0