Splash slow work on barrels - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
Splash slow work on barrels

There is no excuse why it was a bad work. I mean there is but im not a baby we should have done better.

Sorry its was clowdy that day and the video took weird.


Please comment here not youtube.

When he ran the ground shook...
...so we partied our way to victory...
.-.-.-.-.- <3 splash <3 .-.-.-.-.-
greenbryerfarms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
This is not a normal work area =) we have an area behind that big round bale. That's fenced in and nothing is in the way ill take some videos back there soon!

When he ran the ground shook...
...so we partied our way to victory...
.-.-.-.-.- <3 splash <3 .-.-.-.-.-
greenbryerfarms is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,564
• Horses: 5
At a walk/trot, I'd take my turns a lot wider, exaggerate the pocket and push his hip towards the barrel, and exaggerate that as well while leaving the barrel, crossing in front of the barrel (hard to explain) it helps them complete their turns a lot better. (I'm about to post a video from a couple weeks ago with my mare, you can see there how much room I give her on the front side of the barrel and how tightly she comes around the back)

Loping between barrels is okay, but I'd ask for him to slow down into a trot for the barrel, as he doesn't look quite ready to take the turns at a lope. (might be the grass, nothing to dig into) I'd also make sure I'm on the correct leads, especially with such a nice guy like him, just loping along like a perfect gentleman, so laid back and calm!

I didn't get the chance to watch the whole video.
I'd like so see how he is in your actual riding area.
CLaPorte432 likes this.

"all I ever dreamt about was makin' it; they ain't giving it, I'm taking it"
QHriderKE is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
To help prevent him getting sour, try working on segments of the pattern, perfecting your right turns as at speed the horse will often go quite wide. Get him moving his hips over when you ask. A wide turn on number one will result in a knocked number two as the more inexperienced rider will direct the front end, coming in at a tighter angle. When the turn is asked for the shoulder usually hits the barrel because it is now a pretty tight turn and with the lean, over it goes.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE View Post
At a walk/trot, I'd take my turns a lot wider, exaggerate the pocket and push his hip towards the barrel, and exaggerate that as well while leaving the barrel, crossing in front of the barrel (hard to explain) it helps them complete their turns a lot better. (I'm about to post a video from a couple weeks ago with my mare, you can see there how much room I give her on the front side of the barrel and how tightly she comes around the back)

Loping between barrels is okay, but I'd ask for him to slow down into a trot for the barrel, as he doesn't look quite ready to take the turns at a lope. (might be the grass, nothing to dig into) I'd also make sure I'm on the correct leads, especially with such a nice guy like him, just loping along like a perfect gentleman, so laid back and calm!

I didn't get the chance to watch the whole video.
I'd like so see how he is in your actual riding area.
I figgured I'd get that :) its not tilled yet but it'll be a better video! For exagerating turns ill try that's mostly just him he wants to be close. I don't think he will get sour we have been playing with barrels for a year. Just playing tho this is his first year of me getting him set up with a good pocket ect. Thanks for all the advice ill use it to 0the max and ill def watch that video!
Posted via Mobile Device
greenbryerfarms is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
To help prevent him getting sour, try working on segments of the pattern, perfecting your right turns as at speed the horse will often go quite wide. Get him moving his hips over when you ask. A wide turn on number one will result in a knocked number two as the more inexperienced rider will direct the front end, coming in at a tighter angle. When the turn is asked for the shoulder usually hits the barrel because it is now a pretty tight turn and with the lean, over it goes.
Yes! Awresome advice I never thought. About disecting the pattern ibet hed love that! And he does move his back end I have to work on it bc I haven't done it in forever none of my friends run there horses like that so they wouldn't have told me to do so! But it sounds like major help!
Posted via Mobile Device
greenbryerfarms is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,564
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbryerfarms View Post
I figgured I'd get that :) its not tilled yet but it'll be a better video! For exagerating turns ill try that's mostly just him he wants to be close. I don't think he will get sour we have been playing with barrels for a year. Just playing tho this is his first year of me getting him set up with a good pocket ect. Thanks for all the advice ill use it to 0the max and ill def watch that video!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, if he want to be close, go super wide, like, I'm talking 6 feet wide all around the barrel at a trot or maybe a lope.

It's going to take a lot of work to get him out of "playing around" mode and get him doing the right stuff.

Did you get a chance to have a peek at the vid I mentioned?

"all I ever dreamt about was makin' it; they ain't giving it, I'm taking it"
QHriderKE is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE View Post
Yeah, if he want to be close, go super wide, like, I'm talking 6 feet wide all around the barrel at a trot or maybe a lope.

It's going to take a lot of work to get him out of "playing around" mode and get him doing the right stuff.

Did you get a chance to have a peek at the vid I mentioned?
I will today!
Posted via Mobile Device
greenbryerfarms is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
To help prevent him getting sour, try working on segments of the pattern, perfecting your right turns as at speed the horse will often go quite wide. Get him moving his hips over when you ask. A wide turn on number one will result in a knocked number two as the more inexperienced rider will direct the front end, coming in at a tighter angle. When the turn is asked for the shoulder usually hits the barrel because it is now a pretty tight turn and with the lean, over it goes.
Please explain ?


"If you're dating a cowgirl raise your glass. If you're not raise your standards."
1RedHorse is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
She's saying take0 it wide on the start of the barrel to come out closer to the barrel to set you up for a good pattern for no.2 and no.3 so you will hit your pocets better, if you take0 it tight like my horsewants to, with added speed andhim leaning he will nock it. Correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
greenbryerfarms is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arabians and Splash Poco1220 Horse Colors and Genetics 76 01-27-2013 10:05 PM
Me and Selena doing some slow work SorrelHorse Barrel Racing 7 04-02-2012 01:46 PM
Splash? Frame? CloudsMystique Horse Breeds 25 01-04-2011 03:46 PM
How to slow trot and slow lope????? Velvetgrace Horse Training 6 09-15-2010 11:23 PM
Please critique my new boy - Splash mommadog1956 Horse Riding Critique 3 04-20-2007 02:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome