Why I don't like barrel racers - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Barrel Racing

Why I don't like barrel racers

This is a discussion on Why I don't like barrel racers within the Barrel Racing forums, part of the Western Riding category
  • Powered by vBulletin skating rinks
  • My horse over shoots the first barrel what am i doing wrong

Like Tree366Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  #31
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy    
Add in KV that a good portion of the horse falling around barrels were in the same arenas (couple of different events there) tells me that that is really, really crappy footing that does nothing to help the horse get around the barrel but can cause some spectacular crashes.... One or two I can see, but when you have MULTIPLE horses falling at the same barrel it tends to indicate a problem there as well...
Very good point! I wonder if it was wet may be.

Again, I haven't seen horses been crazy or idiots in that video (may be except 1 or 2). In fact some were politely waiting next to the rider to get up. While my qh did it too most horses I know of would just happily take off after losing the rider.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
  #32
Yearling
I like how the OP hasn't commented since My guess is A) they were just trying to see how PO'd we'd all get as a joke or B) they're to busy pulling there foot out their a**.

O, by the way I watched the video, and like how 50% of the "accidents" were caused by bad footing/or someone slamming the gate on the horses butt, 45% were the rider (& footing?), and 5% were the horse. And GASP, a lot of the horses stood quietly after the rider fell off! Those crazy nags!!!

And I will risk it all, and say FOR THE RECORD... I seriously don't like arabs!!! I refuse to ever own one again, I won't ride them, I won't let my kids ride them, I tease hubby to the point of tears for liking them, I think the breed has been over populated by poor quality. BUT, if someone else likes them, have at it who am I to say what you can and can't like.

Happy Trails!
Ray MacDonald and rob like this.
     
    03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
  #33
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSctlnd    
In fact, my friend had to have Vodka stand facing away from the arean because when she saw barrels she got so worked up and ready to go that you had a hard time controling her! She LOVED it.
In fact it has nothing to do with love or joy. Itīs just a "conditioned reflex", this way you can teach a horse to do anything, often a wrong behavior patterns. A horse should be calm and relaxed, willing to do what a rider wants him to, not getting in a panic (no matter whether itīs positive for the rider - like "loving the barrels").
     
    03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
  #34
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy    
Add in KV that a good portion of the horse falling around barrels were in the same arenas (couple of different events there) tells me that that is really, really crappy footing that does nothing to help the horse get around the barrel but can cause some spectacular crashes.... One or two I can see, but when you have MULTIPLE horses falling at the same barrel it tends to indicate a problem there as well...
Excellent point Nd. I can recall one year at the state fair as a kid that they ended up cancelling all of the speed events. The show is in a coliseum that is normally used as an ice skating rink, the footing they put in that year was too slick and shallow and over half the horses in the first barrel class went down around the 3rd.
Soulofhorse likes this.
     
    03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
  #35
Trained
I hate running at new arenas for that particular reason. I always worry that somewhere, at some time, the footing will be bad and my horse will slip. If I can, I try to get in the arena beforehand to see how it is. I like running at the home expo because I know the footing well as do my performance horses.
busysmurf likes this.
     
    03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
  #36
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulofhorse    
In fact it has nothing to do with love or joy. Itīs just a "conditioned reflex", this way you can teach a horse to do anything, often a wrong behavior patterns. A horse should be calm and relaxed, willing to do what a rider wants him to, not getting in a panic (no matter whether itīs positive for the rider - like "loving the barrels").
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. There's a difference between panic and adrenaline. A well trained barrel horse is not going to appear to be calm & relaxed to an untrained (non-barrel) eye, because the adrenaline/endorphis are flowing. Some horses are adrenaline junkies just like ppl. It just makes a difference on the level of training the horse has as to how they handle it. A well trained barrel horse knows when they are in the chute, you can feel them start to get themselves ready, and yes some of them "dance" a little, they want to get in there and chase cans. But when they are done it takes very little time to "cool them off". I've seen world class racers "dance" in the chute, run the pattern like they were on fire, exit the shoot, "dance" around for a few minutes to stop the endorphins, and 10 min later be snoozing in the sun. I've seen the EXACT same physyological(sp?) conditioning/response from eventers/dressage/endurance, etc. where adrenaline/endorphins plays a huge part in performance & physical necessity for the sport.

A horse that is calm & relaxed before a run, can actually do more harm than good. Warming them up in the traditional sense only goes so far in such physically demanding events, endorphins such as adrenaline fully prepair the muscles for the stress of running/jumping, etc.
     
    03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
  #37
Yearling
I think for those of you who are basing your opinions of barrel horses on what you've seen from this post, or others similiar, or even at your local shows; you really need to watch it somewhere where there are "profesionals". Nothing against the "backyarders" ( I was one), but you need to seriously watch ppl that know what they are doing before you comment on all barrel horses.

How many of you that dislike barrels, feel the same about eventing or racing??
     
    03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
  #38
Yearling
Just going to come out and say a few things.....

You say you have barrel raced locally....anywhere where they are over 20 riders?

We don't just think "oh look he is HOT, he is FAST and can TURN OMG lets use him as a BARREL HORSE!"....a lot more goes into training and looking at a prospect....when training we don't just go and RUN RUN RUN we actually want and need our horses to have a foundation. So that means stopping, backing, light to leg and working off of leg, soft and supple, flex at the poll and neck, sidepassing, ect...We are not like the little BYBR that just decide to pull their horses out of pasture one day and run it at a race because they think it can be a barrel horse.

We don't WANT hot horses but sometimes that is what you get when you get a high adrenaline sport and a horse that loves their job. Yes I like a nice calm horse at the gate but if they throw a little prance in their and it is forward and controlled I could care less! I have a problem with gate issues and horses that constantly balk, ect. Most of that is rider error (inexperience, lack of proper foundation....or somebody who thinks training is running).

I have raced locally and little BYBR and you run into the 4H crowd and the weekend warriors who shouldn't be barrel racing. And I have also raced down south where there are over 1000 entries each day during a 3 day race (when you only run once....). And these ladies are the elite....ya their horses might prance but guess what they are riding their NFR horses (gasp) and same with the other amazing ladies who aren't riding NFR horses. They are a team and going out and working like a team and you can easily see that. They are not going and beating the daylights out of their horses or kicking to the sky. They do slow exercises when warming up (flexing, stopping, backing, working off of leg, ect). And not ONE looked like any of the barrel racers in the video you linked.....

So unless you have been to bigger races that aren't just 4H kids (not bashing 4Hers just the obvious ones that shouldn't be doing it) then maybe you will see a difference in the way the horses and people are. And you don't know what they do at home.....some might just work a horse fast all week, while others do things differently at home. Don't judge unless you KNOW the entire story behind the horse and sport. Personally you don't sound like you should be judging the sport.....because your statement made me laugh

"I have won locally many times because I could walk my horse in and fly into a gallop. No rearing, no going sideways, no acting like an (to be honest) an untrained idiot. So long as they can run and maybe doing flying a lead change, let's just run!"

There are SO many things wrong.....And that is NOT the reason you supposedly "won"....how slow you go in the gate has NOTHING to do with how the horse performs. I have seen horses far and between walking and balking go in and wipe everybody out.
     
    03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
  #39
Trained
I don't think the video illistrates bad horsemanship as well as it represents bad arena footing. There was some pretty crappy riding but barrel horses are hard to ride. I hate to see all the tiedowns and correction bits and heavy handed riding and spurring but you see that in every timed event and a lot of judged events. Barrel racing is easy (although not cheap) for anyone to get into. You don't have to spend hour trying to rope a dummy or stay on over a fence. People think that you can buy the cheapest horse you can find that's a "barrel" horse and pay an entry fee and compete. You can do that but you might not win much. I've never like barrel racing much because I think there are probably 10 girls that think thier butt looks cute in wranglers(7 of them are right)and like flirting with "cowboys" to every 1 that is serious about being a horseman.
     
    03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
  #40
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by busysmurf    
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. There's a difference between panic and adrenaline.
Adrenaline is a matter of fight or flight reaction, associated with stress, fear, pain or aggression. Non of these emotions should be a part of horse-riding. Endorphines are OK, produced during physical activities in horses just like they are in humans. BUT AndreaSctlnd said the horse is really hard to control and for me thatīs not good at all. A good rider should be able to excite the horse as well as to calm him down. Horses are "followers" and need a leader. Once a rider canīt control and lead his horse, the animal gets "lost" and easily panics and tries to solve the situation on its own - for example to run into the arena like crazy. That doesn't seem right to me.
Northern likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**BARREL RACERS** 09 XL Barrel Futurity Tour & Stallion Service Auction suncolorsranch Horse Breeding 0 12-04-2008 01:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0