Can Drafts Do Endurance Rides? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Draft Horses

Can Drafts Do Endurance Rides?

This is a discussion on Can Drafts Do Endurance Rides? within the Draft Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Training a draft horse to do endurance

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-04-2009, 08:59 PM
  #11
Weanling
Oh thanks Brighteyes! I'll have to go and research about Mules and maybe buy one! Stupid people huh?

Morgan's are beautiful aren't they? :]
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
  #12
Green Broke
Under-researched Horse Person + Mule = Living Hell XD


And I do love me some morgans. My BO has a friend who has one, and he's the sweetest thing, and amazingly smart!
     
    10-04-2009, 10:58 PM
  #13
Showing
I don't know much about Morgans. Though I am sure that they would do fine in the lower levels. I agree with Cat about draft horses though, it would take them far too long to cool down at the checkpoints and if the trail is complex, their grace (or lack thereof) may come into play and make it dangerous. I don't know about anyone else but my drafty is incredibly clumsy and stumbles all the time on flat ground.

I agree with Miko too, Mustangs make wonderful endurance horses. I have 2 and even after a very long hard day of working cattle, mine have much more energy and get up and go than any of the other horses there. Plus, they are just designed and bred to go farther at a more steady pace over rough terrain than most other horse breeds. They are sure footed and level headed.
     
    10-05-2009, 01:15 AM
  #14
Started
Gaited breeds also do well in endurance.
     
    10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
  #15
Weanling
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
I don't know much about Morgans. Though I am sure that they would do fine in the lower levels. I agree with Cat about draft horses though, it would take them far too long to cool down at the checkpoints and if the trail is complex, their grace (or lack thereof) may come into play and make it dangerous. I don't know about anyone else but my drafty is incredibly clumsy and stumbles all the time on flat ground.

I agree with Miko too, Mustangs make wonderful endurance horses. I have 2 and even after a very long hard day of working cattle, mine have much more energy and get up and go than any of the other horses there. Plus, they are just designed and bred to go farther at a more steady pace over rough terrain than most other horse breeds. They are sure footed and level headed.
Guess I didn't do enough research about draft's huh? Well, now I know! Just goes to show - You learn something new every day! I'll do my research about Mustang's now.
     
    10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
  #16
Weanling
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes    
Under-researched Horse Person + Mule = Living Hell XD


And I do love me some morgans. My BO has a friend who has one, and he's the sweetest thing, and amazingly smart!
Hahaha, lol. But Mule's are good... I researched them and I think they are pretty good! Do you recommend any good Mule selling websites?

That's why I suggested Morgan's! There one of my favourite breeds also!
     
    10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePride    
Hahaha, lol. But Mule's are good... I researched them and I think they are pretty good! Do you recommend any good Mule selling websites?


That's why I suggested Morgan's! There one of my favourite breeds also!
Lol, mules are great if you're prepared enough. As far as websites, the only I really like it Hawleywood's Mule Farm. Check out the site:
Hawleywoods Mule Farm
     
    10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
  #18
Trained
The problem with Mules is they are too smart for most people. There were two mules at the last endurance ride I went to, and they did pretty darn good.

I've done very short ones (25-50) with my quarter horse and been top 5.
     
    10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
  #19
Zab
Yearling
Well trained standardbreds are great endurance horses as well, they have the typr of muscles that's good for a fast and long ride. But they need to be well educated to last in the long run, especially if raced before. Well all horses need to be well educated but somehow it's often overlooked with standies.

If you want to do endurance just for fun, use any horse you'd like :) But a draft isn't likely to win or go very high in the levels.
About drafts stumbeling..they're usually just lazy. I've ridden several ''stumbly'' drafts but they don't have any problems on rough terrain and certainly wont just fall down and kill you.
     
    10-05-2009, 10:11 PM
  #20
Yearling
I agree that a smaller, lighter horse is going to be better for endurance. My draft gelding does fine picking his way over rocky, hilly trails but he's not that fast and hauling his significant weight has to be a disadvantage. We've done 4 hour rides, not for speed and he does fine but he definitely doesn't have the endurance of our POA pony!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Drafts Eat More? LadyDreamer Horse Talk 13 03-18-2012 07:22 PM
How many drafts do you have? waterbuggies Draft Horses 6 09-17-2009 03:38 AM
What do you use you're drafts for? english_rider144 Draft Horses 10 02-13-2009 03:21 PM
Drafts 101 Moxie Horse Breeds 28 01-16-2009 07:51 PM
Drafts? appylover31803 Draft Horses 17 10-01-2008 05:49 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0