Docking Tails in Show Horses/Everyday Horses - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Draft Horses

Docking Tails in Show Horses/Everyday Horses

This is a discussion on Docking Tails in Show Horses/Everyday Horses within the Draft Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Tail docking southern ireland
  • Cropping horse tails

Like Tree162Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-02-2012, 07:53 PM
  #21
Weanling
LOL.......true dat.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
  #22
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit    
im vain. I like to see a draft horse docked.

I debarked my GP. I used to dock my pitbull dogs ears. I think many breeds look silly with natural ears and natural tails. There are health benefits to docking and debarking.

Many of the laws in merry old england are ridiculous. All the opinion of a lil southern country boy of course
Maybe some of them are, but not where mutilation of animals are concerned, I can't think of any health benefits of debarking or docking, but that is a whole 'nother debate, and we all have our views on it.

My views are contradictory I know, I admit that but..

Horse tail docking no, not needed.
Dog Tail docking not needed, but then there are breeds, like dobies, who look better docked.
Ear trimming, well although I love the look of a cropped Dobie I would never have one done, not know I know what is involved.

De clawing a cat or debarking a dog, well just what benefit does an animal gain from that I wonder?
Critter sitter and PunksTank like this.
     
    11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
  #23
Green Broke
I type this with a well-meaning heart, and highly eduacated in the realm of wildlife - docking of tails, soring of hooves, and so many other things I never knew existed in the world of domesticated animals, seems to be a direct slap in the face to the perfect creation and bioligical purpose of the horse's anatomy. There is a specific reason for every single square inch of the horse's body as it is for the horse's survival and comfort.
natisha likes this.
     
    11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
  #24
Foal
Sorry if this is a stupid question... but when you say "debarking a dog", you don't actually mean that you're removing a dog's bark? :O
     
    11-02-2012, 08:24 PM
  #25
Started
Debarking, or more accurately, bark softening, is where the dog's vocal cords are cut in order to reduce the volume of his barks or howls. I will say that the dogs I have met who have had it done seem no worse for it and none seem to be bothered by the abnormal scratchy pathetic sounds that are substituted for the normal barks, but I cannot think of any health benefits to the dog whatsoever. Well, perhaps in the case of debarking as an alternative to death or rehoming when the owner is getting noise complaints...

I see docking, and cropping as completely unnecessary and of no benefit to the animal, be it a dog or a horse.
     
    11-02-2012, 08:38 PM
  #26
Yearling
Actually the bark of a dog has it's reasons, it allows them to communicate from a distance, say for instance you took your dog for a walk in the woods he/she got lost and couldn't see you how would you find them as they couldn't bark to tell the rest of their 'pack' where they were. Plus if the dog was trained right there would be enough barking to warrent a noise complaint. Taking the ears of a dog will reduce their ability to hear as they will not be able to funnel/catch the normal amount of sound waves plus with out any ears or a tail how are they going to be able to communicate. As stated above horses need their tails to protect them from flies they also use their tails to communicate with other animals.

I have to say I am glad all of the above is banned in Scotland other then for medical reasons, they are barbaric practices and have no reason to be around in this day and age they are just for the humans bennifits.
     
    11-02-2012, 08:46 PM
  #27
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispering willow    
It is for show, it makes them look nicer, there is nothing you can do about it. So please, if don't have anything pleasing to type on this thread I think you should leave this website.
Nope sorry. We are all perfectly entitled to express our opinions. If you would rather not hear that you do something cosmetic that affects the horses daily life, then maybe it is you who should not read the conversation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit    
im vain. I like to see a draft horse docked.

I debarked my GP. I used to dock my pitbull dogs ears. I think many breeds look silly with natural ears and natural tails. There are health benefits to docking and debarking.

Many of the laws in merry old england are ridiculous. All the opinion of a lil southern country boy of course
I find the idea that someone would debark a dog or dock a horse ridiculous too.
In fact I'd suggest that they try having house plants instead of pets.
     
    11-02-2012, 08:51 PM
  #28
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit    
im vain. I like to see a draft horse docked.

I debarked my GP. I used to dock my pitbull dogs ears. I think many breeds look silly with natural ears and natural tails. There are health benefits to docking and debarking.

Many of the laws in merry old england are ridiculous. All the opinion of a lil southern country boy of course
Ha ha. Don't come and try it in merry old england. You'll be arrested and thrown in jail. LOL
Northernstar likes this.
     
    11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  #29
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusCrimin    
Sorry if this is a stupid question... but when you say "debarking a dog", you don't actually mean that you're removing a dog's bark? :O
They remove dogs' vocal chords, dock tails, they crop their dogs ears ( Dobermans, Danes etc) and they de-claw cats. All of which is illegal in the whole of the United Kingdom and Ireland. We consider it barbaric. I am not saying that everyone in the USA does this to their animals or even agrees with it but I sure hope there is some enlightenment soon for those people who do it just because 'they like their animals with bits missing'.
     
    11-02-2012, 09:05 PM
  #30
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird    
They remove dogs' vocal chords, dock tails, they crop their dogs ears ( Dobermans, Danes etc) and they de-claw cats. All of which is illegal in the whole of the United Kingdom and Ireland. We consider it barbaric. I am not saying that everyone in the USA does this to their animals or even agrees with it but I sure hope there is some enlightenment soon for those people who do it just because 'they like their animals with bits missing'.
As much as I am not for debarking, declawing, cropping or docking, I DO happen to prefer my animals with 'bits missing.' Just the reproductive organs though. And mainly, the reasons to remove those bits are human as well- it makes the animals more suited to living and working for us rather than their own ends, so the argument can go both ways. It's just that those surgical conveniences (spay, castrate) aren't for cosmetic reasons, but reasons of convenience and ease as intact animals require much closer and skilled management to prevent unwanted behaviors or pregnancy.
Speed Racer and Bluebird like this.
     

Tags
draft horse, horse turnout, show

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show me your National Show Horses! MMArabians Horse Breeds 8 01-02-2012 10:51 PM
Show off pictures of your tails! SarahAnn Horse Grooming 5 10-29-2011 03:36 AM
Show Me Your Pretty Manes and Tails! SugarPlumLove Horse Grooming 3 11-16-2010 03:26 AM
Show manes and tails horse_luver4e Horse Grooming 3 07-06-2008 10:00 PM
Your opinion on horse show tails?? Karen Horse Horse Grooming 13 06-10-2008 03:44 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0