Docking Tails in Show Horses/Everyday Horses - Page 8
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Draft Horses

Docking Tails in Show Horses/Everyday Horses

This is a discussion on Docking Tails in Show Horses/Everyday Horses within the Draft Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

    Like Tree161Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
      #71
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluebird    
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Docking and animal mutilation is a contravesial subject and if anyone posts something contraversial you are going to get lots and lots of opinions. If you're tired of the thread, then stop reading it LOL.
    NB: There is no reason on the planet to dock a tail, debark a dog or crop ears no matter what unless there is a serious medical problem. I am thankful I live in 'Merry Old England' because we have seen the light and the light is good. OH and we banned fox hunting too!
    PunksTank likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-03-2012, 06:37 PM
      #72
    Weanling
    Ive had my say. I've learned no one ever changes their mind. Or opinions on touchy subjects. B/c logic is never used when touchy/emotional subject are brought up.
    I believe in logic. And I believe in real life. Im a realist. Not everything on paper or so called scientific studies are true to real life.
    Animals are put on earth to be taken care of and used. I do both. I havent docked a dog in 20 yrs, I havent cut a dogs ears in 8 yrs. I have debarked a dog about 4 yrs ago. And that definitely saved her life. Im in favor of spaying/neutering. In fact I think all living beings should be spayed. Too many people on earth now. Much less cats and dogs.
    I have never owned a draft animal. Probably never will. But if I did, and I deemed it necessary for both our benefit to dock his tail I would do it. Since I don't farm chances are great I would never dock it then. But I don't hold that against anyone that does.
    I believe in personal freedom. There are enough laws to dictate most aspects of a citizens life now adays.
    With all that mumbo jumbo said, I don't hold grudges or ever hate anyone. Even if they beleive differently than me. Id like to ask for same treatment. But I doubt it will happen.

    There ya have it. Have fun with it.
         
        11-03-2012, 06:38 PM
      #73
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit    
    and this has WHAT to do with this conversation, exactly? Anyone that compares a human to an animal has deeper issures. Period.

    But if its any of your business which it aint, I've had certain parts cut off for health reasons. I.e. Cirucumsicion. Which is for health reasons also for vanity sake.
    I'm just trying to help you see from another point of view, which was obviously pointless, seeing as how you don't think there's anything wrong with chopping off parts of an animal's body for show, but it's a complete crime to do it to a human. So I have issues? Yes, it's called compassion, sympathy for others. And I think it's quite sad that someone younger than you has already learned that.
    whispering willow likes this.
         
        11-03-2012, 06:44 PM
      #74
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BornToRun    
    I'm just trying to help you see from another point of view, which was obviously pointless, seeing as how you don't think there's anything wrong with chopping off parts of an animal's body for show, but it's a complete crime to do it to a human. So I have issues? Yes, it's called compassion, sympathy for others. And I think it's quite sad that someone younger than you has already learned that.

    Please don't ever think, I don't look at all sides. I've stopped many practices that I've had part in that would make most all ya'll gasp with horror. But the point is I do look at all sides. As mentioned, im a logical person. I appreciate and enjoy logic on both sides. But I don't hear any logic, besides personal opinions (which is totally alright) against docking cutting, etc. sorry. I just don't. Personal opinion on whats cruel and barbaric is fine. But hatred, and venemous enuendos towards difference of opinion should not be allowed and definitely isnt tolerated. From my viewpoint.
         
        11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
      #75
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit    
    please don't ever think, I don't look at all sides. I've stopped many practices that I've had part in that would make most all ya'll gasp with horror. But the point is I do look at all sides. As mentioned, im a logical person. I appreciate and enjoy logic on both sides. But I don't hear any logic, besides personal opinions (which is totally alright) against docking cutting, etc. sorry. I just don't. Personal opinion on whats cruel and barbaric is fine. But hatred, and venemous enuendos towards difference of opinion should not be allowed and definitely isnt tolerated. From my viewpoint.
    And you didn't just imply that I have issues? Where's the logic in what you're saying? You keep telling us that there are health issues when docking a horses tail, please enlighten me, because I don't see them. Technically everything you're saying is your own opinion as well. Obviously tail docking has been banned in countries for a reason. I don't hear the logic in what you're saying, to be honest, you come off quite obnoxious and arrogant to me.
         
        11-03-2012, 06:58 PM
      #76
    Yearling
    Dead rabbit I have stated my logical reason behind me being against all of the above apart from for medical reasons.

    But here it is again
    Actually the bark of a dog has it's reasons, it allows them to communicate from a distance, say for instance you took your dog for a walk in the woods he/she got lost and couldn't see you how would you find them as they couldn't bark to tell the rest of their 'pack' where they were. Plus if the dog was trained right there would be enough barking to warrent a noise complaint. Taking the ears of a dog will reduce their ability to hear as they will not be able to funnel/catch the normal amount of sound waves plus with out any ears or a tail how are they going to be able to communicate. As stated above horses need their tails to protect them from flies they also use their tails to communicate with other animals.

    I also forgot to mention a dog needs its tail for balance, I know my collies wouldn't be able to do their jobs with out their tails. Cats need their claws as well so they can hold onto things when they fall or are jumping, if my cat didn't have claws I think she would have broken her back by now with the number of near misses when she justs.

    Dead rabbit I still fail to see the health benifits to debarking a dog, you to the dog right and they will not bark overly much.
         
        11-03-2012, 07:01 PM
      #77
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit    
    ive had my say. I've learned no one ever changes their mind. Or opinions on touchy subjects. B/c logic is never used when touchy/emotional subject are brought up.
    I believe in logic. And I believe in real life. Im a realist. Not everything on paper or so called scientific studies are true to real life.
    Animals are put on earth to be taken care of and used. I do both. I havent docked a dog in 20 yrs, I havent cut a dogs ears in 8 yrs. I have debarked a dog about 4 yrs ago. And that definitely saved her life. Im in favor of spaying/neutering. In fact I think all living beings should be spayed. Too many people on earth now. Much less cats and dogs.
    I have never owned a draft animal. Probably never will. But if I did, and I deemed it necessary for both our benefit to dock his tail I would do it. Since I don't farm chances are great I would never dock it then. But I don't hold that against anyone that does.
    I believe in personal freedom. There are enough laws to dictate most aspects of a citizens life now adays.
    With all that mumbo jumbo said, I don't hold grudges or ever hate anyone. Even if they beleive differently than me. Id like to ask for same treatment. But I doubt it will happen.

    There ya have it. Have fun with it.
    Well said! I don't think you're horrible and I for one certainly don't 'hate' you. You have your opinions but then it would be a boring world and a boring forum if we kept agreeing with each other all the time. I genuinely wish you well.
         
        11-03-2012, 07:11 PM
      #78
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluebird    
    Well said! I don't think you're horrible and I for one certainly don't 'hate' you. You have your opinions but then it would be a boring world and a boring forum if we kept agreeing with each other all the time. I genuinely wish you well.

    Ditto.
         
        11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
      #79
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BornToRun    
    And you didn't just imply that I have issues? Where's the logic in what you're saying? You keep telling us that there are health issues when docking a horses tail, please enlighten me, because I don't see them. Technically everything you're saying is your own opinion as well. Obviously tail docking has been banned in countries for a reason. I don't hear the logic in what you're saying, to be honest, you come off quite obnoxious and arrogant to me.

    Logical reasons for doing this has already been stated by others here. Please re-read previous posts on previous pages.

    Of course everything I say is personal opinions. But I have logic backing them up. When it comes to dogs. I have personal hands on reasons for what I say. Not just emotional rants on what I personally feel whats right and wrong.
         
        11-03-2012, 07:19 PM
      #80
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbarlo32    
    Dead rabbit I have stated my logical reason behind me being against all of the above apart from for medical reasons.

    But here it is again
    Actually the bark of a dog has it's reasons, it allows them to communicate from a distance, say for instance you took your dog for a walk in the woods he/she got lost and couldn't see you how would you find them as they couldn't bark to tell the rest of their 'pack' where they were. Plus if the dog was trained right there would be enough barking to warrent a noise complaint. Taking the ears of a dog will reduce their ability to hear as they will not be able to funnel/catch the normal amount of sound waves plus with out any ears or a tail how are they going to be able to communicate. As stated above horses need their tails to protect them from flies they also use their tails to communicate with other animals.

    I also forgot to mention a dog needs its tail for balance, I know my collies wouldn't be able to do their jobs with out their tails. Cats need their claws as well so they can hold onto things when they fall or are jumping, if my cat didn't have claws I think she would have broken her back by now with the number of near misses when she justs.

    Dead rabbit I still fail to see the health benifits to debarking a dog, you to the dog right and they will not bark overly much.
    this reason for a dog barking may be a reason for some, it may be a good reason for a select few. But it doesnt hold water for the vast majority. I for one do not walk my dog in the woods. So she wont get lost there. She does not need to communcate with other dogs. That's not her job. An not many would tolerate their dog barking to their neighbors dogs.
    In real life this isnt the 101 dalamations.
    And in real life not all dogs can be trained to not bark. Nor would you want them to be. Heres a thought for ya. My GP id debarked. But she still has enough bark that you can hear it like a very loud cough over 300 ft away. She's still able to do her job. And she gets to live. That poster that said nothing but air comes out is grossly exaggerating. Do some research on debarking. Not a citizens opinion, but real indepth study.
         

    Tags
    draft horse, horse turnout, show

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Show me your National Show Horses! MMArabians Horse Breeds 8 01-02-2012 09:51 PM
    Show off pictures of your tails! SarahAnn Horse Grooming 5 10-29-2011 02:36 AM
    Show Me Your Pretty Manes and Tails! SugarPlumLove Horse Grooming 3 11-16-2010 02:26 AM
    Show manes and tails horse_luver4e Horse Grooming 3 07-06-2008 09:00 PM
    Your opinion on horse show tails?? Karen Horse Horse Grooming 13 06-10-2008 02:44 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0