Draft horse for a first horse? Yay or Nay? - Page 6
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Draft Horses

Draft horse for a first horse? Yay or Nay?

This is a discussion on Draft horse for a first horse? Yay or Nay? within the Draft Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

    Like Tree106Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
      #51
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    
    RaigenB...found these pictures for you. I have seen light horses do these things too, but with my drafts, both of them, this is no problem....

    Yes, there is a horse under there....





    Looks like it doesn't even phase her! :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
      #52
    Foal
    So I was on Facebook on my local "Horse and horse tack sale" group. I posted a comment asking if anyone in the area had Drafts that wouldn't mind giving me some info and personal experience. Someone writes me and acts like I'm crazy for wanting a Draft. Maybe it's because I haven't owned a horse before? Or maybe that's just a typical "normal horse" owner reaction. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having a Paint or Quarter horse, but the thought of owning a Draft is kinda exciting.

    Just thought I would share!
         
        12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
      #53
    Weanling
    ?? No, you're not crazy at all for wanting a draft. There are some special considerations BUT I would recommend a draft over say.. an arabian. Please don't take offense to this, arabian owners, because none is intended. I think a drafts whole personality is just so much more laid back and easy going. And there are psycho QH and paints too. IMO, most drafts have a better personality for a first time horse owner than many other breeds out there. You're not crazy at all for considering one.
    RaigenB likes this.
         
        12-20-2012, 11:29 PM
      #54
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tessa7707    
    ?? No, you're not crazy at all for wanting a draft. There are some special considerations BUT I would recommend a draft over say.. an arabian. Please don't take offense to this, arabian owners, because none is intended. I think a drafts whole personality is just so much more laid back and easy going. And there are psycho QH and paints too. IMO, most drafts have a better personality for a first time horse owner than many other breeds out there. You're not crazy at all for considering one.
    Thank you, I don't think I'm crazy either! There are just a few things I'm finding to be difficult.
    1. Finding a 2 horse trailer that would be big enough.
    2. Tack that isn't outrageously priced.

    Also, should you buy a certain type of fence that may be a little stronger? I was told by a horse friend (who owns Quarters) that a draft will walk right though a fence. And I'm sure it would if it wanted to, but wouldn't any other horse too??....
         
        12-20-2012, 11:39 PM
      #55
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RaigenB    
    So I was on Facebook on my local "Horse and horse tack sale" group. I posted a comment asking if anyone in the area had Drafts that wouldn't mind giving me some info and personal experience. Someone writes me and acts like I'm crazy for wanting a Draft. Maybe it's because I haven't owned a horse before? Or maybe that's just a typical "normal horse" owner reaction. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having a Paint or Quarter horse, but the thought of owning a Draft is kinda exciting.

    Just thought I would share!
    I think that's a pretty 'normal' reaction from people that may not have had experiences with drafts. There are also people that think that all drafts can do is pull a carriage or farm equipment. And, for some people, a draft would not be a good match for...barrel racing, jumping, cross country, pole bending and many other things I'm sure (there are the exceptions, of course, out there). However, there are many things they are good for, if those are the things you are interested in...trail riding, driving, parades, obstacle courses, riding in water, vaulting, pony rides, beginners (not needing to learn the fancy stuff), young people, old people, if you need a ladder, if you need something to learn how to climb up on and roll all over on while they stand there....lol.

    So, it really comes down to what you are looking for. Posters on here have posted many pictures and made multiple statements from experiences showing you what it is like to own a draft. One of the most wonderful things is showing disbelievers or people in awe just what they can do and how joyous it can be with a 'no worries' type horse. My pasture is next to a road, where almost daily, people will pull over to the side, get out of their cars and ask me what kind of horse she is because they have never seen a horse that big. It happend again today by a utility worker that drives by all the time. She caught us in the pasture with the horses today and had to get out and ask about her and take pictures. Oh yes, we get lots of pictures too. That's all part of it!
    Tessa7707 and RaigenB like this.
         
        12-20-2012, 11:44 PM
      #56
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    
    I think that's a pretty 'normal' reaction from people that may not have had experiences with drafts. There are also people that think that all drafts can do is pull a carriage or farm equipment. And, for some people, a draft would not be a good match for...barrel racing, jumping, cross country, pole bending and many other things I'm sure (there are the exceptions, of course, out there). However, there are many things they are good for, if those are the things you are interested in...trail riding, driving, parades, obstacle courses, riding in water, vaulting, pony rides, beginners (not needing to learn the fancy stuff), young people, old people, if you need a ladder, if you need something to learn how to climb up on and roll all over on while they stand there....lol.

    So, it really comes down to what you are looking for. Posters on here have posted many pictures and made multiple statements from experiences showing you what it is like to own a draft. One of the most wonderful things is showing disbelievers or people in awe just what they can do and how joyous it can be with a 'no worries' type horse. My pasture is next to a road, where almost daily, people will pull over to the side, get out of their cars and ask me what kind of horse she is because they have never seen a horse that big. It happend again today by a utility worker that drives by all the time. She caught us in the pasture with the horses today and had to get out and ask about her and take pictures. Oh yes, we get lots of pictures too. That's all part of it!
    see that sounds amazing! I don't know why people give them such a bad rep! I don't know anyone around here that has drafts so I unfortunately can't go hang out around some :/

    And yes, all I am really interested in is trail riding, and possibly pulling a cart/wagon (if I acquire one).

    If there is anyone near Sullivan or Terre Haute, IN with drafts, that wouldn't care to invite me to learn/get some draft experience, please message me! Haha
         
        12-21-2012, 12:52 AM
      #57
    Green Broke
    Trailers are a tough one. I bought a trailer when my draft was still 16 hands and 2 years old. He outgrew it pretty quickly. Never did find another one and I've had him 12 years. The vet has to come here to do all his stuff!

    Trail riding is always interesting for us because he can't fit on some of the trails if they have low hanging branches!! Hahaha!

    Drafts are tough on fences. And gates. My boy sat on a couple of the gates where I board before the BO had them raised up so he couldn't squash them!

    This is the gate he sat on:



    The fence he eats over:



    And the poles he rubs on:




    Luckily the BO really likes him and is very understanding! He did get moved to the lower pasture where it's all surrounded by mountainous blackberries and only a small little bit of actually fencing!
    smguidotti and RaigenB like this.
         
        12-21-2012, 01:01 AM
      #58
    Foal
    The only reason I'm wanting a trailer is to
    1. Transport him/her to my home.
    2. To be able to go do trails.

    The closes trail area is maybe 30min away. Too long of a walk! Haha

    And oh goodness haha fences/gates aren't for sitting silly boy :P
         
        12-21-2012, 01:04 AM
      #59
    Green Broke
    I know!! He can be a very silly boy! LOL!

    Depending on where you get the draft - they might be willing to transport the horse for you. That's what the lady I bought Solon for did. Then at least you only have to worry about the trail parts!
    RaigenB likes this.
         
        12-21-2012, 01:13 AM
      #60
    Started
    Ok, here are some talented drafts and draft crosses....



    And this video shows you strength of the animal...this reminds me of Mamma when I lunge her occasionally...pure power and strength....nothing light and airy like the gracefulness of some lighter horses.

    smguidotti likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    OUt of interest: What to look for in a draft horse as a riding horse. muumi Draft Horses 27 11-25-2012 11:38 AM
    raising a draft horse bnayc Horse Breeds 20 11-09-2012 04:57 AM
    Draft Horse In WP HipHopHorseman Western Pleasure 42 08-21-2012 10:37 PM
    Who uses a draft horse saddle on non-draft horse? melinda27858 Horse Tack and Equipment 12 04-25-2009 11:38 PM
    Draft Horse ritaaran Horse Talk 1 09-23-2008 05:48 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0