drafts can't gallop!!!? since when!? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Draft Horses

drafts can't gallop!!!? since when!?

This is a discussion on drafts can't gallop!!!? since when!? within the Draft Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-12-2009, 02:32 AM
      #21
    Started
    good point

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRoan    
    Elephants can't run...

    BS... they are one of the most dangerous animals in Africa ... and they weigh wayyyy more then a clyde haha.
    and they can run fast too!!!! Charging males are DANGEROUS. I've seen the videos! Lol
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-12-2009, 02:38 AM
      #22
    Showing
    OMG!!! Gorgeous! I may have to come steal her and bring her home with me. ;)
         
        09-12-2009, 11:33 AM
      #23
    Yearling
    Isn't there a Budweiser commercial with the clydes galloping in a field? They certainly don't look to be in pain :)
         
        09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
      #24
    Guest
    Of course drafts can gallop - how do you think all those knights of old dodged the arrows.
    But before you try galloping your heavy horse of whatever breed, read up on Newton's Theory of Motion: -
    "The heavier the weight, the faster the speed, the greater the force".

    So the problem only starts when you think you ought to be stopping
    and going round blind corners is definitely a bit risky.

    As long as you pick a nice long, flat, hard, sandy beech at least a mile and a half long, wth no rocks, no children, no dogs on leads, no balloons
    Then great!!!!!!!.

    Enjoy

    Barry G
         
        09-12-2009, 11:26 PM
      #25
    Foal
    Your photos are simply beautiful. Do you take dressage lessons? Ignore that comment and know it came from a place of ignorance. I have seen drafts jump - they are beautiful! I bet he just loves galloping. If you ever run into that individual again, just respectfully provide correct information. Kill them with kindness and logic.

    P.S. WEAR A HELMET! You just never know. Head injuries are very tragic. I worked with head injury patients before - guess where? Not in PT or OT or ICU. They ended up in our psych center. Head injuries change you. Prevention - you are far too precious!
         
        09-13-2009, 01:07 AM
      #26
    Green Broke
    Those pics are absolutely BREATHTAKING! She's such a gorgeous girl, and obviously having a ton of fun - looks like you're actually holding her back from going faster!

    Obviously Drafts weren't "built to run" in the sense that some horses were (Thoroughbreds, Quarter Horses). But ALL horses can run. No, I wouldn't advise pushing her to complete an eventing course, but they sure as heck run in the pasture and no gallop is going to hurt a properly trained and in shape horse!
         
        09-13-2009, 03:03 AM
      #27
    Foal
    Wink

    Dont worry to much what people think. Do what you and your horse like to do. No matter what kind of horse you have....they all run. (love watching it)
    I own a frisian mare. I live in germany... I run into ignorant people all the time.. "a frisian should be in front of a cart.. a frisian being ridden with a westernsaddle?? " stuff like that.... don't let anyone tell you how to ride your horse... do whats best for you guys
         
        09-14-2009, 06:56 AM
      #28
    Started
    beaches!!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barry Godden    
    Of course drafts can gallop - how do you think all those knights of old dodged the arrows.
    But before you try galloping your heavy horse of whatever breed, read up on Newton's Theory of Motion: -
    "The heavier the weight, the faster the speed, the greater the force".

    So the problem only starts when you think you ought to be stopping
    and going round blind corners is definitely a bit risky.

    As long as you pick a nice long, flat, hard, sandy beech at least a mile and a half long, wth no rocks, no children, no dogs on leads, no balloons
    Then great!!!!!!!.

    Enjoy

    Barry G
    and I'm looking for exactly that. The closest one has stretches of sand...it's the walk to it that might be a problem. Timing is everything.
         
        09-14-2009, 06:58 AM
      #29
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
    Those pics are absolutely BREATHTAKING! She's such a gorgeous girl, and obviously having a ton of fun - looks like you're actually holding her back from going faster!

    Obviously Drafts weren't "built to run" in the sense that some horses were (Thoroughbreds, Quarter Horses). But ALL horses can run. No, I wouldn't advise pushing her to complete an eventing course, but they sure as heck run in the pasture and no gallop is going to hurt a properly trained and in shape horse!
    Actually I was trying to loosen the reins up more without dropping them. In the first one I was pulling her shoulder up so she didn't slide in the mud.
         
        09-14-2009, 07:01 AM
      #30
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aynelson    
    Your photos are simply beautiful. Do you take dressage lessons? Ignore that comment and know it came from a place of ignorance. I have seen drafts jump - they are beautiful! I bet he just loves galloping. If you ever run into that individual again, just respectfully provide correct information. Kill them with kindness and logic.

    P.S. WEAR A HELMET! You just never know. Head injuries are very tragic. I worked with head injury patients before - guess where? Not in PT or OT or ICU. They ended up in our psych center. Head injuries change you. Prevention - you are far too precious!
    I wear a helmet 90% of the time. It's when I have a photographer out there is when I don't and my boyfriend had my camera along with a photographer I've worked with before trying to start an equine magazine. So if there's a photographer out there and the image it to capture full freedom normally they don't like a helmet in the picture. It's a bitch to photoshop out. Lol.
    In the arena, on the road, and when there's not a photographer in need of a no helmet picture...I have mine on. Thank you for looking out though.
    As for dressage. I took lessons about 3 years ago and use it to help her collect but other than that it was nothing I was majorly interested in. I like feeling the longer strides instead of the shorter restricted feeling ones.
         

    Tags
    clydesdales, drafts, gallop, horses

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Your first gallop. PintoPrincess Horse Riding 32 09-17-2009 08:41 PM
    bucking at a gallop HPS Horse Training 15 09-10-2009 10:45 AM
    Strange gallop..need help please biggame12 Western Riding 6 06-04-2009 05:35 PM
    how to gallop sempre_cantando Horse Riding 6 09-09-2008 12:00 PM
    how do you ask for a gallop? lakotalegend15 Horse Training 6 11-12-2007 07:56 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0