it's the official HALF DRAFT thread! - Page 20
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Draft Horses

it's the official HALF DRAFT thread!

This is a discussion on it's the official HALF DRAFT thread! within the Draft Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Looks like she's enjoying it

Like Tree777Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
  #191
Banned
Thumbs up

Gorgeous 'DraftXDressage' she looks like she's enjoying it. I've put out some xrails while free lunging my Perch X and she absolutely loved it. A few more miles in the saddle and I will definitely be introducing her to some more jumping! Variety keeps things interesting for them as well as for us. It's amazing how versatile some horses can be :) Great job !!!!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
  #192
Showing
Blue, I've had good luck with my standard saddle fitting my half draft boy so far (but he's only 3 so he'll grow more). What I use on him now has Full QH bars and a 7" gullet. By the time he's grown, though, I'll likely have to have a custom made saddle for him. There is a member here, SouthernTrailsGA, that does very nice work and I think he can make draft sized saddles as well.
     
    07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
  #193
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs    
Blue, I've had good luck with my standard saddle fitting my half draft boy so far (but he's only 3 so he'll grow more). What I use on him now has Full QH bars and a 7" gullet. By the time he's grown, though, I'll likely have to have a custom made saddle for him. There is a member here, SouthernTrailsGA, that does very nice work and I think he can make draft sized saddles as well.
Thanks. Bearing in mind that everybody uses different terminology for the same thing I'm currently using a Courts saddle with (I believe) fqhb and 7.5" measurement for bar width, which I believe folks here are saying gullet measurement. It fits her beautifully which is the only reason I still use it. But it feels like it kinda throws me forward which makes my old back hurt. It's only a 15.5" seat and although I've been told that I fit in it well, I guess I'm just used to a larger seat. My old saddle was about 16.5". And of course different makers have different styles so they all feel different. So I guess I need to just look around at different options. The most important thing is that it fits my mare well for right now. It would just be nice to have something that I'm more comfortable in too.
smrobs likes this.
     
    07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
  #194
Green Broke
For your viewing pleasure....

Flirt and his Uncle Rex...



And his Uncle Hugo... (who may I add stands 16.1hh....Flirt's grown....)



And a couple of shots from yesterday that show that sometimes he still looks like such a baby!


AllieJ333 likes this.
     
    07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
  #195
Showing
Courts saddles are good saddles. We've got an old one in our barn that has been around since before I was born LOL. Yes, the gullet is how far apart the bars are. Unfortunately, something with a 7.5 seems to be really hard to find outside of a custom job. It's sometimes a pain in the butt to try to find a good saddle that is comfortable for both rider and horse.
     
    07-03-2012, 09:57 AM
  #196
Weanling
Thanks smrobs! I've had 2 people on this site tell me that its a good quality saddle so I feel a little better knowing that at least. I'll keep an eye out for others of the same fit.
     
    07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
  #197
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue    
Thanks. Bearing in mind that everybody uses different terminology for the same thing I'm currently using a Courts saddle with (I believe) fqhb and 7.5" measurement for bar width, which I believe folks here are saying gullet measurement. It fits her beautifully which is the only reason I still use it. But it feels like it kinda throws me forward which makes my old back hurt. It's only a 15.5" seat and although I've been told that I fit in it well, I guess I'm just used to a larger seat. My old saddle was about 16.5". And of course different makers have different styles so they all feel different. So I guess I need to just look around at different options. The most important thing is that it fits my mare well for right now. It would just be nice to have something that I'm more comfortable in too.
You have a gullet and bar spread.

Gullet is the distance between the tops of the bar. The highest point on the front of the bar that makes contact with the horse (or is suppose to).

Bar spread is the distance between the bottoms of the bar. The lowest point on the front of bar making contact with the horse.

E.g. My older mare has a 9" gullet and a 14" bar spread.

A proper fitting saddle will have equal pressure on the top and bottom of the bar.
     
    07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
  #198
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowClever    
For your viewing pleasure....

Flirt and his Uncle Rex...



And his Uncle Hugo... (who may I add stands 16.1hh....Flirt's grown....)



And a couple of shots from yesterday that show that sometimes he still looks like such a baby!


It was a GREAT pleasure to see pictures of your beautiful beasties !!!
     
    07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
  #199
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiellia    
This is my new Percheron/TB 2 year old soon to be gelding. He is a momma's boy. His name is Ghost the reason they called him that was because when he was born he was the same color as the tall dead grass and they couldn't find him when he would nap. I am going to start saddling him soon and doing some ground work he hasn't had much of that before I got him.
I am pleased to report that Ghost's first ride went great he didn't do anything barely even wanted to walk lol
MistysMom likes this.
     
    07-17-2012, 06:07 PM
  #200
Foal
This is my sweet fellow, Sabor. :) Draft/QH mix I am told. :)

     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The official what kind of dog is he thread! AnimalFarm2006 Farm Animals 26 12-02-2011 06:26 PM
The Official Guinea Pig Thread azarni Other Pets 15 10-04-2009 10:55 PM
The Official Hamster Thread Whipple Other Pets 9 06-24-2009 12:35 AM
Official parrot thread. White Foot Other Pets 9 06-11-2009 01:40 PM
The Official Thread Of Sunny! Cheval Horse Pictures 20 03-10-2008 01:13 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0