Bute Legalized? - Page 13
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Bute Legalized?

This is a discussion on Bute Legalized? within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-26-2009, 10:20 PM
      #121
    Green Broke
    Bute helps ease pain, soreness, and swelling. In the amounts being allowed by the FEI it would not cover up any pain, and would wear off before it could cover much new pain.

    If the product in quesetion is used in excess(say 4-5 grams or so) it could possibly cover up some mild pain, but not a sever lamness, like say a hoof abcess.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-26-2009, 10:38 PM
      #122
    Started
    Yea, and I think if something happened to a tendon - even if the horse was on enough painkillers to feel okay - it probably wouldn't be able to do much because the tendon wouldn't work properly. Just thinking that's how that situation might work... but I've never experienced that first hand, so I could be wrong...

    Wild_spot says she knows a horse that was buted up and ridden and is not crippled... or something to that effect. But I'm not sure what kind of problem they covered up or how much bute it took to make a lame horse not lame... probably a TON.

    And can I ask why you would never use bute? Just wondering your reasons... if your vet recommended it - would you?
         
        11-26-2009, 10:40 PM
      #123
    Green Broke
    Wild_Spot said the horse was mildly lame, if I do remeber correctly. In my experiances with my mare that gets lame VERY often from years of horrible race palting, even a good dose of bute wouldn't make her sound enough to do more than walk around with a bit of a limp.
         
        11-27-2009, 12:51 AM
      #124
    Trained
    Quote:
    And can I ask why you would never use bute? Just wondering your reasons... if your vet recommended it - would you?
    I have never said I wouldn't use bute. I have, and would again if the need arose. However, If there was something wrong enough with my horse for it to be on bute - I would not compete it, full stop. That is my stance. I don't think it is fair on my horses to have to compete when they aren't 100%. I'm in this sport for my horses - Not for winning or even for competeing. It is a part of my riding but not the be-all-and-end-all. I would never put my horse at risk, and I beleive competeing on a buted horse is a risk. Just my opinion.

    Quote:
    wild_spot says she knows a horse that was buted up and ridden and is not crippled... or something to that effect. But I'm not sure what kind of problem they covered up or how much bute it took to make a lame horse not lame... probably a TON.
    I don't know either - It was a few years ago now. I am well aware that this kind of thing probably wouldn't happen - But people are saying it CAN'T happen, which isn't true.

    Also - My pony had bowed both front tendons. Without the bute he could hardly walk - With the bute he could walk and trot comfortably. He would have still presented lame if ridden. He was only on a few grams of bute. It just makes me think that if a moderate amount of bute can make a SEVERELY lame horse sound to walk and trot, then what could it do for a horse who was pasture sound but mildly lame under saddle?
         
        11-27-2009, 03:47 AM
      #125
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    Also - My pony had bowed both front tendons. Without the bute he could hardly walk - With the bute he could walk and trot comfortably. He would have still presented lame if ridden. He was only on a few grams of bute. It just makes me think that if a moderate amount of bute can make a SEVERELY lame horse sound to walk and trot, then what could it do for a horse was pasture sound but mildly lame under saddle?
    Exactly!
         
        11-27-2009, 07:48 AM
      #126
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    I have never said I wouldn't use bute. I have, and would again if the need arose. However, If there was something wrong enough with my horse for it to be on bute - I would not compete it, full stop. That is my stance. I don't think it is fair on my horses to have to compete when they aren't 100%. I'm in this sport for my horses - Not for winning or even for competeing. It is a part of my riding but not the be-all-and-end-all. I would never put my horse at risk, and I beleive competeing on a buted horse is a risk. Just my opinion.


    And I never said you did. Buddy09 said they haven't and would never use bute - that question was for him/her.
         
        11-27-2009, 01:44 PM
      #127
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    Also - My pony had bowed both front tendons. Without the bute he could hardly walk - With the bute he could walk and trot comfortably. He would have still presented lame if ridden. He was only on a few grams of bute. It just makes me think that if a moderate amount of bute can make a SEVERELY lame horse sound to walk and trot, then what could it do for a horse who was pasture sound but mildly lame under saddle?
    Because, unless you are taking a mini horse to an FEI dressage competition, .5 grams won't make the horse sound.
         
        11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
      #128
    Banned
    Buea if a vet recommened it I would but me and my family really don't believe that horses should be put on pain killers for something that they would have had to deal with in the wilderness. But that's just how we see it
         
        11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
      #129
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddy09    
    Buea if a vet recommened it I would but me and my family really don't believe that horses should be put on pain killers for something that they would have had to deal with in the wilderness. But that's just how we see it
    I try to keep it as natural as possible, but you still have to think... most of the pain horses get are from us, aka barbed wire,fences,getting chased by dogs, getting hung up etc. horses in the wild would VERY rarely need bute... haha that's also because none-wild horses are usually very silly, or bred to be high strung, so most of the time it isnt even something natural that hurts them I do agree with you to a degree :P but if my horse is in pain if I can do anything I try to help. :)
         
        11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
      #130
    Green Broke
    ^agreed, if I can make my horses more comfterable, I will. They do SOOOOOOoo much for me, I want to do as much as I can for them!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    To bute or not to bute for an abscess? edozier1 Horse Health 12 10-19-2009 05:47 AM
    bute pat Horse Health 11 02-19-2009 02:58 PM
    spits out bute Juniper Horse Health 11 09-17-2008 11:48 PM
    Bute Erin_And_Jasper Horse Talk 13 09-16-2008 04:57 PM
    B-L Pellets instead of Bute? kim_angel Horse Health 2 10-19-2007 11:29 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0