Bute Legalized? - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Bute Legalized?

This is a discussion on Bute Legalized? within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-24-2009, 12:13 AM
      #41
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    So you bought the horse with arthritis because it was cheaper? Think maybe that it was a good reason for it to be cheaper?

    You can get a good schoolmaster in any discipline where I live for under $20,000.
    I believe she bought the horse -despite his arthritis- because he's knowledgeable and quiet enough to teach her mom. The perfectly sound bombproof competitive schoolmasters are hard to come by and worth an arm and a leg. If they're going for $20,000 where you are we ought to come shopping in your area! I have a feeling the quality of horse Anabel is describing and the quality of horse you're describing aren't the same.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-24-2009, 12:28 AM
      #42
    Weanling
    GEEZ! 20K for a schoolmaster! That's the price for a good competing horse here in NZ haha.
    I think that with bute legalized people will most likely just abuse the system.
         
        11-24-2009, 01:03 AM
      #43
    Green Broke
    I have talked to my father, a doctor, and he said that he wouldn't say that it's likly that most people, and animals, in a competive sport have some type of arthritis, he said it's a FACT .
         
        11-24-2009, 02:01 AM
      #44
    Trained
    Quote:
    I have talked to my father, a doctor, and he said that he wouldn't say that it's likly that most people, and animals, in a competive sport have some type of arthritis, he said it's a FACT .
    How do you define most? It can't be a fact unless it has solid numbers/percentages.
         
        11-24-2009, 02:57 AM
      #45
    Green Broke
    Upnover, I am happy your guy is doing so great. I did not mean any arthritic/older horse should not compete. And yes, as I said in my original post, if it is just a little stiffness, fine. I agreed that bute is great when used for mild stiffness and other mild issueslike sore muscles after a hard workout and stress from trailering and puplic stalling in tiny stalls it is like an athlete taking an advil. I specifically meant horses that cannot compete in relative comfort without being drugged should not be competing at all, at least until they are sound. But as many horses are competing well into their 20's today, by the time they do finally show the wear and tear to their joints, it is time to retire them anyway rather than drugging them up to be able to force them to compete for a few more years till they have nothing left in them.
    I believe that there are many many cases in which the horse would benifit from a mild anti- inflammatory, and I am happy for those horses with bute being legalized, now they can have a much more comfortable time competing and compete to their fullest without the pain and stiffness inherent with long multi day upper level shows.
         
        11-24-2009, 02:59 AM
      #46
    Green Broke
    And there is no need to quarrel about this Stormy Blues and Wild Spot, lets keep on topic shall we and not get into it? There is too much of this already on the forums, why don't we lighten it up a bit?
         
        11-24-2009, 11:13 AM
      #47
    Trained
    First of all, thank you upnover, yes I am positive I am talking about a different quality of horse.
    My mother's horse is very well bred (ie both parents are from Europe), gets 8 on gaits and has almost every trick in the book up to half steps (he has nice half steps too :P). And although he knows all this she can still take him on a trail ride and be completely safe. Yes he was not expensive, but that wasn't just because he is arthritic, it is also because of the hay shortage, a friend of ours with one too many horses offered him to us for a bargain after my mother had been leasing him for over 12 months.
    A horse with comparable breeding, the same age range (10-13) and performing well at PSG with a clean vet check in my area sells for around $150,000.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honeysuga    
    upnover, I am happy your guy is doing so great. I did not mean any arthritic/older horse should not compete. And yes, as I said in my original post, if it is just a little stiffness, fine. I agreed that bute is great when used for mild stiffness and other mild issueslike sore muscles after a hard workout and stress from trailering and puplic stalling in tiny stalls it is like an athlete taking an advil. I specifically meant horses that cannot compete in relative comfort without being drugged should not be competing at all, at least until they are sound. But as many horses are competing well into their 20's today, by the time they do finally show the wear and tear to their joints, it is time to retire them anyway rather than drugging them up to be able to force them to compete for a few more years till they have nothing left in them.
    I believe that there are many many cases in which the horse would benifit from a mild anti- inflammatory, and I am happy for those horses with bute being legalized, now they can have a much more comfortable time competing and compete to their fullest without the pain and stiffness inherent with long multi day upper level shows.
    So then what makes my mother's horse so special that HE should not be allowed to compete because after being stalled for 3 days his arthritis acts up??
         
        11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
      #48
    Banned
    People who are against a horse having any bute at all for showing better not be popping that Advil in the morning when they get up after the long day before. If your horse can not have the same relief then why is it fair for you to have it?

    Like has been posted tons of times already. Bute will not make a lame horse sound.
         
        11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
      #49
    Started
    From Horse and Hound:
    Quote:
    "The FEI has set the level to allow for a small single dose of one of the three non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to be given 24 hours before a competition. The doses have been set to ease muscle stiffness but, supposedly, not to mask a problem such as arthritis."
         
        11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
      #50
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    From Horse and Hound:
    Quote:
    "The FEI has set the level to allow for a small single dose of one of the three non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to be given 24 hours before a competition. The doses have been set to ease muscle stiffness but, supposedly, not to mask a problem such as arthritis."
    Severe arthritis. With mild arthritis as is seen in a lot of horses this is enough to help them out.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    To bute or not to bute for an abscess? edozier1 Horse Health 12 10-19-2009 06:47 AM
    bute pat Horse Health 11 02-19-2009 03:58 PM
    spits out bute Juniper Horse Health 11 09-18-2008 12:48 AM
    Bute Erin_And_Jasper Horse Talk 13 09-16-2008 05:57 PM
    B-L Pellets instead of Bute? kim_angel Horse Health 2 10-19-2007 12:29 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0