Can you critique this pic?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Can you critique this pic?

This is a discussion on Can you critique this pic? within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-23-2013, 05:51 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Smile Can you critique this pic?

    Hey everyone, so this pic is from this past Saturday so can I have some feedback on what you don't like or like about it. It was rainy and cool so Laddy was a little up but still awesome and I'm really kind of loving the pic even if its not a really deep frame. Me and Lad have been doing Intro A, B, and C and we've done super in that so next show we go to we will do Intro B and C and then Training 1. So can I have some feedback about how he and I look for intro/training level or any helpful remarks.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg ec23d3d6231511e3816522000a9e48f9_7.jpg (36.2 KB, 226 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    I know just about nothing about dressage, but you guys look great!!!
    Mary Liz likes this.
         
        09-23-2013, 06:20 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beau159    
    I know just about nothing about dressage, but you guys look great!!!
    Thank you!
         
        09-24-2013, 02:19 PM
      #4
    Started
    You guys look awesome! Your head is slightly forward and you seem to be looking down at your horse, which I do all the time and my instructor always reminds me to keep my head up and look straight ahead.
    Corporal likes this.
         
        09-24-2013, 02:45 PM
      #5
    Super Moderator
    The horse looks happy and forward and relaxed. He is on his forehand, but not in a forced way, and you both have the look of a great intro/training level pair.
    Looking at his front feet, his front hooves look really long with what appears to be underrun heels. Can slow down his breakover and make it harder for him to reach underhimself.

    You do need to look up and open your chest a bit. It's kind of like you are generally rolled forward, inward, in chest, neck and even your knees are up and forward, like a "C". You can start by putting your thumbs on top. That's very helpful for reversing the inward "curl" of body and mind. Look up. Roll your shoulders back a little. .

    To get more of your weight down into your leg and ankel, take you legs out of the stirrup, let them hang down. Lift the thigh out and off the saddle, then let your leg go back onto the saddle. Without moving your upper leg, reach up with your toes and find the stirrup. Let your leg hang down into the weight going down through your ankel. No pushing, just hanging.
         
        09-24-2013, 05:08 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    the horse looks happy and forward and relaxed. He is on his forehand, but not in a forced way, and you both have the look of a great intro/training level pair.
    Looking at his front feet, his front hooves look really long with what appears to be underrun heels. Can slow down his breakover and make it harder for him to reach underhimself.

    You do need to look up and open your chest a bit. It's kind of like you are generally rolled forward, inward, in chest, neck and even your knees are up and forward, like a "C". You can start by putting your thumbs on top. That's very helpful for reversing the inward "curl" of body and mind. Look up. Roll your shoulders back a little. .

    To get more of your weight down into your leg and ankel, take you legs out of the stirrup, let them hang down. Lift the thigh out and off the saddle, then let your leg go back onto the saddle. Without moving your upper leg, reach up with your toes and find the stirrup. Let your leg hang down into the weight going down through your ankel. No pushing, just hanging.
    Thank you for taking the time to critique my picture and for the nice comments! His feet, due to all the continuous rain, have "collapsed" on the heel and the what I would call the 'toe' has grown....not ideal under any means but hopefully this winter will be drier so his feet wont look so bad.

    I will definitely try doing my legs like that...that makes perfect sense.. I do have one question about that though..I have been doing some small cross rails in my dressage saddle...[my AP hasn't been fitted to his back since he's gotten a lot of new muscle]....and I decided it was much easier to get into position with shorter stirrups(which is the length I have them at in the picture) would you recommend going back to the slightly longer stirrup length when I'm doing ground work and doing the activity you described or does it matter? Thank you!
         
        09-24-2013, 05:18 PM
      #7
    Trained
    You two look great! I agree with the "on the forehand, eyes should be up and a trim on the front feet."
    I really love to see people riding Dressage on Arabians.
    I think he could be in a little bit better physical shape. Consider x-training by trail riding in hilly country, maybe a little bit of low jumps, just for fun, and certainly cavaletti. If you get RFD.tv look for the Dressage Symposiums. Several of their programs demonstrate clearly about dropping stirrups and readjusting your leg to deepen your heel.
    Keep up the good work.
         
        09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
      #8
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corporal    
    You two look great! I agree with the "on the forehand, eyes should be up and a trim on the front feet."
    I really love to see people riding Dressage on Arabians.
    I think he could be in a little bit better physical shape. Consider x-training by trail riding in hilly country, maybe a little bit of low jumps, just for fun, and certainly cavaletti. If you get RFD.tv look for the Dressage Symposiums. Several of their programs demonstrate clearly about dropping stirrups and readjusting your leg to deepen your heel.
    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for your advice and comments! And I completely agree with you that I love people who do dressage on Arabians too! Arabs are such worker bees which is great for dressage! And yes I agree with you on the jumps, hills and cavaletti! Laddy is probably has the most topline muscle he's ever had and we just got him back doing small cross rails and he absolutely loves doing the hilly trails around the stable! I really want to do some 20m circles on a small hill outside the ring doing which will require lots of engagement in his back too! With Laddy he can always use strengthening through his topline! Thanks for the comment!
         
        09-25-2013, 09:53 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Elevate your hands, roll your shoulders down and back (without pinching), bring your chin back. You are a bit rounded throughout your upper back, which will result in your horse being a bit heavy on the forehand. Your horse seems very willing and rounding nicely through his back! :)
    existentialpony likes this.
         
        09-26-2013, 01:46 AM
      #10
    Weanling
    My instructor is constantly bugging me *to* look at my horse's neck! (I used to ride h/j back in the day)--to maintain his softness and bend.

    I agree with the other critiques for the most part, especially in your upper body. Good for you for riding dressage on an arabian! ;) I am schooling 1st level with my arab and he really seems to love it!

    ETA... When you elevate your hands, keep your elbows soft and bent at your sides. Maintain that lovely hand-to-bit line!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    First critique, flatwork pic =] BeachinIt Horse Riding Critique 9 02-13-2013 04:27 PM
    Possible Pic Critique? xD BarrelBunny Horse Riding Critique 15 06-16-2012 10:30 PM
    Critique me? :D *pic and video* ridingismylife2 Horse Riding Critique 20 04-06-2009 04:42 AM
    Critique ( new pic added 3/30 ) Abby Horse Riding Critique 15 04-01-2008 08:03 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0