Cinny finally stopped rushing...but now he barely moves forward at all, help - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 406
• Horses: 1
I agree that getting him out of the arena is a good start. I would also work him over some trot poles to reinforce a longer stride.
DraftXDressage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid Northern TN
Posts: 2,464
• Horses: 1
Not that I want to lose all our forward, but how did you make the lurch go away? Still working on that one down here...
Sharpie is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Posts: 4,367
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Not that I want to lose all our forward, but how did you make the lurch go away? Still working on that one down here...
To be honest, I am not sure. He was on stall rest for 2 1/2 weeks with a bad injury (he cut his foot and went through an artery). While he was on rest I rode an old "been there done that" school horse that was HARD to move at all and I still never got him into a canter LOL. In my lessons with him I had to give him constant leg and my current trainer says with all dressage horses you keep your legs on and constantly squeeze to go forward (not sure I agree but with this horse I saw it anyway). When Cinny got back to work, the first day he was abominable. But then after that he just relaxed into work and started picking up his hind legs, rounding his back, and stopped having his head straight in the air like a giraffe.

Maybe there was something else going on and the rest did him good and got him relaxing more, I don't know. But I can have my legs resting on him and he doesn't surge. I used to have to be careful not to so much as tickle him with my legs. Maybe I desensitized him, I don't know. The first week back we did a lot of lunge work with side reins... I'm just pulling guesses.

The ONLY change I have made is that I started giving him "Gumbits" before our rides which does help get him to relax his jaw and not grind his teeth the whole ride. But that is the only thing I am doing differently.
Cinnys Whinny is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,168
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny View Post
To be honest, I am not sure. He was on stall rest for 2 1/2 weeks with a bad injury (he cut his foot and went through an artery). While he was on rest I rode an old "been there done that" school horse that was HARD to move at all and I still never got him into a canter LOL. In my lessons with him I had to give him constant leg and my current trainer says with all dressage horses you keep your legs on and constantly squeeze to go forward (not sure I agree but with this horse I saw it anyway). When Cinny got back to work, the first day he was abominable. But then after that he just relaxed into work and started picking up his hind legs, rounding his back, and stopped having his head straight in the air like a giraffe.

Maybe there was something else going on and the rest did him good and got him relaxing more, I don't know. But I can have my legs resting on him and he doesn't surge. I used to have to be careful not to so much as tickle him with my legs. Maybe I desensitized him, I don't know. The first week back we did a lot of lunge work with side reins... I'm just pulling guesses.

The ONLY change I have made is that I started giving him "Gumbits" before our rides which does help get him to relax his jaw and not grind his teeth the whole ride. But that is the only thing I am doing differently.
Interesting. That's a brilliant way to deaden the horse's reaction to the leg.

A horse that wants to rush through the aids constantly, should be ridden every step. Constant corrections, half halts, transitions, changes of rein, 10m circles, leg yield, shoulder in etc. Keep their feet moving where you want them, and don't give them an oportunity to 'bomb off' on you.
My current horse tends to get quite strong and wants to drag the reins down and bare onto the forehand. I need to ride very tactfully, not allowing him to get onto the forehand, and if he makes a good attempt to run through my seat and hand, I'll bring him either back to walk, or make him back up immediately, then continue, to really drill home that my seat and rein mean STOP!
waresbear and Weezilla like this.

~Horse & Hound Artistry~.

Website: www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Kayty is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,014
• Horses: 0
If he is behind the bit and going slow lengthen your reins. Move your hips when he walks like he is going somewhere and tilt your pelvis forward. You are describing the same issues as I saw in your lunging video.
churumbeque is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Posts: 4,367
• Horses: 5
I think it's funny that people misread what I am saying and answer something I said about the lesson horse as if it were Cinny I were riding....
Cinnys Whinny is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,014
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny View Post
I think it's funny that people misread what I am saying and answer something I said about the lesson horse as if it were Cinny I were riding....
Yes, Cinny has finally decided that he doesn't like to "rush" and "lurch" anymore. We now have a nice, even trot. He is picking up his hind legs instead of slightly dragging them as he did before (and he no longer has a dust cloud behind us from it). His back is starting to round, and my trainer says he's really starting to use his back and topline more effectively.

The down side, we seem to have lost our impulsion :( In fact, he travels so little that my trainer says if he traveled any less we would be doing Piaffe instead of trotting. All for feet are coming off the ground nicely, he just doesn't go forward.


Looks like you are talking about Cinny to me. No other way to read this.
Kayty likes this.

Last edited by churumbeque; 08-05-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: make it more readible
churumbeque is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Posts: 4,367
• Horses: 5
REad what kayty highlighted
Cinnys Whinny is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,875
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny View Post
Yes, Cinny has finally decided that he doesn't like to "rush" and "lurch" anymore. We now have a nice, even trot. He is picking up his hind legs instead of slightly dragging them as he did before (and he no longer has a dust cloud behind us from it). His back is starting to round, and my trainer says he's really starting to use his back and topline more effectively.

The down side, we seem to have lost our impulsion :( In fact, he travels so little that my trainer says if he traveled any less we would be doing Piaffe instead of trotting. All for feet are coming off the ground nicely, he just doesn't go forward.

So far my trainer only has me "bumping" him with my legs with his trot rhythm to encourage forward movement, but it doesn't seem to help much.
He just curves his neck and goes behind the bit instead. Now, I'm not "bashing" my trainer, or complaining etc etc...don't think that PLEASE, I adore her. I am just asking for some more ideas to encourage him to travel forward more as we are only showing Training level and I really don't think they want our test to take twice as long as it should because I can't get my horse to move forward.

I have never used spurs on him, and don't really want to as I am not happy with my legs right now and I have just recently gotten him to stop lurching forward with any leg contact so I don't want to get back to square one. But all and any other ideas are very very welcome.
Read what I highlighted
Golden Horse is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,168
• Horses: 3
Cinny, that advice doesn't matter if you're on your own horse, shetland pony, or a grand prix school master. Constantly bumping a horse's sides, is NOT how a trained dressage horse is taught to work. No matter which language you speak, which country you're in, which breed of horse you're riding - constantly nagging is GOING to deaden the reaction.

~Horse & Hound Artistry~.

Website: www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Kayty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rushing forward at fences; How do I slow down? HunterJumper4Ever Jumping 8 07-14-2012 04:05 PM
Hello in Cinny's dad/Cinny Whinny's husband/financier robohog Meet the Community 20 11-26-2011 05:11 PM
Cinny's Day (he finally got a bath and met my daughter) Cinnys Whinny Horse Pictures 9 05-23-2010 07:55 AM
Today I stopped the unstoppable. HorseOfCourse Horse Training 6 11-15-2009 04:55 PM
Horse stopped shedding out Vickie Baldwin Horse Health 2 04-27-2007 02:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome