Cleaner canter transition? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Cleaner canter transition?

This is a discussion on Cleaner canter transition? within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category
  • When to ask for canter transition
  • When to ask for a canter transition

Like Tree14Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
  #21
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
No - the correct aids for canter includes the sitting trot, very important - not just one stride but two or three, these are used by the rider to increase the activity of the hind legs, to rebalance the horse and to place the horse correctly for the canter.

The outside leg asks for the canter as it brings the 1st leg of the sequence through (the outside hind leg), the inside leg then keeps the canter going.

I was always taught that a horse strikes off a correct canter from the inside hind.

Also, for asking, outside leg is for balance, more than anything, the inside leg asks and keeps impulsion for the canter.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-27-2011, 02:04 PM
  #22
Weanling
Spyder - you really like to complicate things!

There are two schools of thought to obtain canter - simply and for the best result and as taught to me by my instructor - trained at Spanish Riding School - and what I've been teaching for 40+ years, that the outside leg back and used asks for canter and identifies to the horse the leg required to start the sequence of canter.

The inside leg always drives the horse forward and once in canter the inside leg maintains the quality of the canter.

Duffy Duck - sequence of legs is
Outside hind, Inside hind & outside foreleg together, Inside foreleg, period of suspension.
     
    12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  #23
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
Spyder - you really like to complicate things!

There are two schools of thought to obtain canter - simply and for the best result and as taught to me by my instructor - trained at Spanish Riding School - and what I've been teaching for 40+ years, that the outside leg back and used asks for canter and identifies to the horse the leg required to start the sequence of canter.

The inside leg always drives the horse forward and once in canter the inside leg maintains the quality of the canter.
But surely simpler would mean asking for canter and keeping engagement with the inside leg, then when you are asking for things like canter half pass, your outside leg is free to do so?

Just asking as this is the way I have been taught, and how I have taught my youngster. Signal half halt, inside leg on etc, outside leg is there purely for keeping her where I need her and NOT to travers or drift...?
     
    12-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  #24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
Spyder - you really like to complicate things!

There are two schools of thought to obtain canter - simply and for the best result and as taught to me by my instructor - trained at Spanish Riding School - and what I've been teaching for 40+ years, that the outside leg back and used asks for canter and identifies to the horse the leg required to start the sequence of canter.

The inside leg always drives the horse forward and once in canter the inside leg maintains the quality of the canter.

Duffy Duck - sequence of legs is
Outside hind, Inside hind & outside foreleg together, Inside foreleg, period of suspension.
There are many people that do things because their instructor told them to do it this way.

The number of riders that UNDERSTAND why they do something and UNDERSTANDS the purpose/consequence of each action however is very very small.

The number of people that WANT to understand is even smaller.
     
    12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
  #25
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffyDuck    
But surely simpler would mean asking for canter and keeping engagement with the inside leg, then when you are asking for things like canter half pass, your outside leg is free to do so?

Just asking as this is the way I have been taught, and how I have taught my youngster. Signal half halt, inside leg on etc, outside leg is there purely for keeping her where I need her and NOT to travers or drift...?
The inside leg gets used for everything! It is often easier for the horse to understand the canter aid from the outside leg, We use the inside to generate bend and more activity - it can be confusing if used to ask for canter. The placing of the outside leg shouldn't be as far back as is used for lateral work.
When a horse is repeatedly getting the wrong lead placing the whip in the outside hand and using it as you ask for canter almost always gets the correct lead.
     
    12-27-2011, 02:25 PM
  #26
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
The inside leg gets used for everything! It is often easier for the horse to understand the canter aid from the outside leg, We use the inside to generate bend and more activity - it can be confusing if used to ask for canter. The placing of the outside leg shouldn't be as far back as is used for lateral work.
When a horse is repeatedly getting the wrong lead placing the whip in the outside hand and using it as you ask for canter almost always gets the correct lead.

Yes.. the inside leg does get used, but used along side the outside leg, half halt and seat then the horse should move off the inside leg...

Sorry, I just find asking for canter with the outside leg to then change to the inside leg bizzare, wouldn't you loose impulsion doing this, changing the legs? Or create more confusing asking once with an outside leg, then, if what you say is correct, you're asking only for impulsion and bend, wouldn't you need to keep the outside leg on more to keep the canter too?

Like I said.. I've always been taught outside leg behind the girth to support, especially with younger horses and unbalanced horses, and inside leg asks and gives impulsion..
     
    12-27-2011, 02:48 PM
  #27
Weanling
I've never found it confusing - nor my horse/horses and canter transitions and changes are very clean.

There definitely two schools of thought about how to ask for the canter - once your horse understands what is required then I gues it really doesn't matter.
     
    12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  #28
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
I've never found it confusing - nor my horse/horses and canter transitions and changes are very clean.

There definitely two schools of thought about how to ask for the canter - once your horse understands what is required then I gues it really doesn't matter.

True, but then I suppose its different for what you want to ride too.

If I put my outside leg back and on in walk or trot and impulsion from the inside I am asking my horse to half pass, which is done, as far as I am aware, and trained, in that manner...?

My outside leg in canter is for balance.
My outside leg in half pass is used more for upwards, forwards, sidewards.
     
    12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
  #29
Weanling
As I said in an earlier post my instructor was trained at the Spanish Riding School and their horses are the most beautifully trained in the world. Their work is tension free and light.
I'm very classical in my approach to training and have great faith in what I was taught.
     
    12-27-2011, 03:07 PM
  #30
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
As I said in an earlier post my instructor was trained at the Spanish Riding School and their horses are the most beautifully trained in the world. Their work is tension free and light.
I'm very classical in my approach to training and have great faith in what I was taught.

I wasn't really asking for where you're trainer trained... we could all go in to that all day long.. I was asking about canter transitions, and from there my understanding of your canter transitions is how I ask my horse to half pass...
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
canter transition (sitting trot) help! vergo97 English Riding 44 09-02-2011 11:58 AM
Suggestions for a better canter transition? coffeeaddict Horse Training 8 05-01-2011 09:28 AM
Gets speedy during canter transition work Tymer Horse Riding 4 01-10-2011 08:14 PM
Canter Transition Troubles Equina Horse Training 4 10-25-2008 12:07 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0