Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
I have had the chance to ride a couple of GP horses, albeit it not for any long period of time, and the horses were already warmed up.
It is a whole new level of riding, and frankly, it really put in to perspective the power that these horses have. It also scared me witless at points because at times I completely lost the feeling, and one horse carried me, did all the moves itself, but I felt like I had very little control over the situation.
A horse should never be ridden every single second with its poll at the highest point. We flex a horse left and right, why whould we only flex up? Long and low is just as important.
I am not a fan of Rollkur, nor am I a fan of the term being thrown at every horse and rider.
There are some truly horrid photos on the internet, that show more than just a moment in time, where the horse is literally curled in on itself.
However, I do not disagree that a horse never needs to be what is described as 'Overflexed'.
There is always the right way and the wrong way to do this, just as people will seesaw on a bit in an attempt to get the horse on the bit.
After all that, I do have a friend on FB who shared photos from this event. Over 2000 pictures, and I would say 70% had braced themselves against the horse, pulling it in to a rollkur position. The other 30% were flexing their horses up, down, left, right. And there were more than just a 'moment in time' pictures. If I can find the link, I iwll post it.