Dressage Conformation? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 723
• Horses: 4
Thanks.

It's something you need almost like air or water. ♥
SRCM16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 723
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Ok of the horses you posted I'll rank them as far as what I think would excel in dressage, discounting gender, temperment and size because these are mostly personal preference. So mostly on conformation/ability in my opinion only. (I didn't include the stallion add though)

#1 Dressage Horse Also Driven in Harness
#2 Lovely Yearling Warmblood Filly
#3 Elegant, Powerful Warmblood
#4 Lovely Sinatra Song Gelding for Dressage or Hunters
#5 Very Nice TB Ex-racehorse to Re-train - Ride - Show - E
#6 Beautiful, Kind and Willing 2009 Dutch Warmblood Mare
#7 Big Boned TB Calm and Quiet, Jumps and has Been Shown

Overall in my personal opinion, for someone looking to start out in dressage with a young horse (I would always suggest buying a schoolmaster if finances/situations allow) I would pick #3. He's the steady eddy of the pack and is conformed well enough to do a respectable 2nd/3rd level, and possibly 4th/PSG, but he's not going to "care" if you make mistakes. With the 1st horse, he is talented but appears to be a bit of a hot head, and not a horse you can afford to make mistakes with, the price also makes me think he has behavior issues.

Good luck! If you want full critique on all the horses I can PM you.
That's so funny! The top three you chose were my favorites. I LOVED Denver (#1). I would switch #2 and #3 though.

It's something you need almost like air or water. ♥
SRCM16 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 723
• Horses: 4
Here's my filly. She just had another growth spurt so she's butt high once again. Lol.

How well do you think she'll do in dressage? I'll get a video of her movement when it stops raining.






It's something you need almost like air or water. ♥
SRCM16 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
She appears to have a weak stifle/gaskin and be goose rumped, as well as quite downhill.
I think she'll have a lot of trouble with collection, so I wouldn't expect her to do anything more than training or first level. Dressage training will help her overcome these issues to a point but I think she would be better suited for a different discipline, competitively and training wise.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,284
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRCM16 View Post
Yeah, I know. That's why I was thinking mediocre/so-so dressage conformation and OK bloodlines to start out with.
If you think your filly has the potential to get to 2nd/3rd level, I'd say you already have a horse that fits that description

Once you start hitting 4th level and up you're going to need more than mediocre conformation!
verona1016 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,284
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Ok of the horses you posted I'll rank them as far as what I think would excel in dressage, discounting gender, temperment and size because these are mostly personal preference. So mostly on conformation/ability in my opinion only. (I didn't include the stallion add though)

#1 Dressage Horse Also Driven in Harness
#2 Lovely Yearling Warmblood Filly
#3 Elegant, Powerful Warmblood
#4 Lovely Sinatra Song Gelding for Dressage or Hunters
#5 Very Nice TB Ex-racehorse to Re-train - Ride - Show - E
#6 Beautiful, Kind and Willing 2009 Dutch Warmblood Mare
#7 Big Boned TB Calm and Quiet, Jumps and has Been Shown

Overall in my personal opinion, for someone looking to start out in dressage with a young horse (I would always suggest buying a schoolmaster if finances/situations allow) I would pick #3. He's the steady eddy of the pack and is conformed well enough to do a respectable 2nd/3rd level, and possibly 4th/PSG, but he's not going to "care" if you make mistakes. With the 1st horse, he is talented but appears to be a bit of a hot head, and not a horse you can afford to make mistakes with, the price also makes me think he has behavior issues.

Good luck! If you want full critique on all the horses I can PM you.
Out of curiosity, why did you put the Dutch mare as #6? I was thinking she looked pretty nice except for the fact that they've clearly overused some headsetting device on her causing her to learn to break behind the poll.
verona1016 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Point of croup is too far back and exaggerated, weak hind end overall, long cannons behind, upright shoulder, upright pasterns.
I do think she carries her neck well and probably hasn't been ridden in any headsetting device (considering her natural throatlatch, etc, I would say she is naturally behind the bit), she just doesn't have the hind end to carry, and her legs don't suggest much better. I would say low level dressage, low level hunters at best for her. The only thing I wouldn't fault is the riding, the rider presents her well and her basic training looks to be good.
Posted via Mobile Device
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 723
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016 View Post
If you think your filly has the potential to get to 2nd/3rd level, I'd say you already have a horse that fits that description

Once you start hitting 4th level and up you're going to need more than mediocre conformation!
No, no I'm hoping she can do OK in 2nd/3rd until I can get a horse that can do it "effortlessly" (more easily then my not dressage-y filly). I have no clue what conformation makes a horse excel in dressage (reason for post) so me saying "Appendix filly that will hopefully at least compete up to second/third level" I'm pretty much dreaming that pigs can fly since apparently she's not built for dressage.

It's something you need almost like air or water. ♥
SRCM16 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 723
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
She appears to have a weak stifle/gaskin and be goose rumped, as well as quite downhill.
I think she'll have a lot of trouble with collection, so I wouldn't expect her to do anything more than training or first level. Dressage training will help her overcome these issues to a point but I think she would be better suited for a different discipline, competitively and training wise.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Gee thanks for the bad news. ..
I'm thinking about possibly trading her for a Welsh Cob/Oldenburg colt but I don't know if I can get rid of her now.

She is very submissive and easy to work with, a really sweet disposition. I think she's grown on me. LOL.

It's something you need almost like air or water. ♥
SRCM16 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
• Horses: 0
Personally I like #6
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dressage Conformation Question w/Pic ebrides Dressage 5 07-09-2012 08:21 PM
Conformation for dressage? teamfire Horse Conformation Critique 15 12-05-2011 12:25 AM
Honest critique of conformation (Dressage) Maryja456 Horse Riding Critique 5 10-23-2011 07:23 PM
Dressage vs. Jumping conformation Sara Horse Riding Critique 3 10-27-2008 10:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome