Dressage horse? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 338
• Horses: 0
Kayty, I always love your explanations!
I totally agree. I have an ottb who has really nice gaits but is built more downhill than a WB for sure. I love her to death and she can do some of the movements, she has a flying change, shoulder-in, leg yield, etc but shes about a training level dressage horse and shes probably staying there! I have ridden a few WBs and while I'll take my ottb any day some of the dressage movements were much easier on a horse that wasnt conformationally challenged at the discipline :)

My mare= My life <3
Jumper12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vidor, Texas
Posts: 2,805
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverspear View Post

If I said that I wanted to run my Shire/TBx on barrels, you'd probably laugh at me and tell me to buy a barrel-bred QH.
I wouldn't laugh, I'd say GO FOR IT!! Each breed has their limitations due to confirmation; therefore, I don't believe another breed would necessarily do all the moves incorrectly. They would do them correctly according to their breed confirmation (not enough coffee so I don't know if I said that right!). I love Arabs, but I don't expect to be competitive against warmbloods at the higher levels.
Beling and Paint pony like this.
gigem88 is offline  
post #13 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 178
• Horses: 2
Lippizaners are not WBs but they can compete at super high levels of dressage in the spanish riding school. They can do a perfect piaffe up to the high standards and they are not built up hill. I'm not saying I have anything against WBs I love steffen peters and ravel and weltinos magic but I see no reason an arab or lippizaner can not compete or be considered unable to compete at the same level as a WB. How many warm bloods can you see take flight like those lippizaners?

"In training we must be encouraged to first establish the principles and only then to tackle the details." Dr. Reiner Klimke
Mary Liz is offline  
post #14 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: I don't know
Posts: 1,158
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverspear View Post
Aye. I don't even own a warmblood and I'm probably not likely to ever do so, but I certainly understand why you would.

I also still think a well put-together draft X is a nice, slightly cheaper alternative for those wanting something with a bit of power but don't want an international FEI horse. You have to be picky and look hard for the right one, though; a lot of them are conformational disasters.

By the way, I want to seriously get into reining. Would this horse be suitable?
No hes not suitable, like dressage he could do lower level compitions, but he won't stand up against the QHs and the paints at higher levels of reining.
It's as simple as this, if you want to be competitive you have get horse that's meant for that event.

Live to ride. Ride to live.
Tasia is offline  
post #15 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 718
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Liz View Post
Lippizaners are not WBs but they can compete at super high levels of dressage in the spanish riding school. They can do a perfect piaffe up to the high standards and they are not built up hill. I'm not saying I have anything against WBs I love steffen peters and ravel and weltinos magic but I see no reason an arab or lippizaner can not compete or be considered unable to compete at the same level as a WB. How many warm bloods can you see take flight like those lippizaners?
I almost only ride Lipizzaners nowadays. Well, I ride a dressage bred warmblood too. But I ride three Lipizzaner mares.

Lipizzaners look more like ponies to me and don't have gaits like a warmblood dressage horse, but they are amazing at being collected and they do the piaff and passage with such ease. They are soo smooth!

They don't trot like a Grand Prix horse, but they sure can dance! Easy and willing to work all the time.

Here's one of the Lipizzaner horses I ride.




I don't have anything against warmblood horses. I ride and train them all the time.

I just don't see why people are so negative about other riders picking other types of horses to train in dressage.

If you want to win grand prix? Then you should look for a warmblood horse with gaits that pleases the judges.

Nowadays, dressage in competition, you have to put on a show to get high scores. It's not enough with a horse
that does all the right things, like a Lipizzaner. I really don't know what to think of that.
Eolith, Thyme, Mary Liz and 1 others like this.

Last edited by StellaIW; 04-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.
StellaIW is offline  
post #16 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 284
• Horses: 1
I think everybody has made some good points and covered warmbloods vs. other breeds pretty well. So I won't add to the technical side of it. I can however, give you a personal account of the warmblood vs. other breeds in dressage.

I started dressage on an Appaloosa. Yes...Appaloosa. He was very talented for his breed and had fantastic movement. He certainly did not have the conformation (nor the mind) for the work though. We competed a solid second level and were training third when he had an unfortunate injury and didn't recover. Overall, a solid horse but wouldn't make it past an average 4th level. After he was injured I didn't have a horse really...so I picked up my pony. A 14.2 hand grade pony, with the crestiest neck ever lol. I'm almost 6 feet tall. I trained him up to 3rd level in about a year and a half (he was already started) and competed FEI Juniors on him. Easy mid 60's scores, and won regionals against a bunch of already proven FEI *Warmbloods*. I competed him 4th level the year after and was lucky to get a 62%. He's a special guy, who is very smart and easy to train. Could do PSG...but certainly doesn't have the movement to do it. It was a struggle to get him to do what he did - but he did it!

Fast forward to today. I have -the- most talented horse I've ever ridden, and probably the most talent horse I will ever have. He's a warmblood. Backed at 5 and a half, and without pushing him, he's now training at an easy 3rd level. He's turning 7 next thursday. I plan on PSG with him next year. Simply because he can do it SO easily.

So, for me, I know why I searched high and low for that special warmblood. Although my pony and appaloosa could do it, it was a struggle and it was hard on them...my warmblood...so easy. Now, I realise how blessed I am to have a horse that when I say "extend", he asks "how much?" and with ease, and that not all warmbloods are that compliant.

But that's my novel on warmbloods vs. other breeds, and why I love my warmblood. Sorry for such a long message!!
Tigo is offline  
post #17 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 178
• Horses: 2
That Lippizaner is very pretty, StellaIW. Very true about you have to put on a show to get high scores take Anky for example had to use a training method that in my own opinion harmed the horse bare in mind this is a WB that she rode. Also look at most upper level dressage test on WB you will see most of them don't have their pole the highest point of their neck which is supposed to be a major deduction (acording to FEI guidelines) because the horse is NOT collected or how you say OVER collected. So most upper level horses are not collected properly 90% of the time or can very seldom hold them self in proper collection if you look closely in my very own opinion. Take this horse for example.

Back to my point why do we judge other breeds of horses when as you can see WBs are not collected correctly to begin with. Maybe we need to lower our standards because it seems to me that we expect dressage horses to offer way more than what ANY breed can. A normal horse collected correctly will move his neck and come out of collection and may not do everything perfect and may not look great but it beats a horse collected wrong to me. Nothing against any breed of horse I think we just ask to much and everything has to be "perfect" when nothing can be "perfect".

"In training we must be encouraged to first establish the principles and only then to tackle the details." Dr. Reiner Klimke
Mary Liz is offline  
post #18 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Liz View Post
Lippizaners are not WBs but they can compete at super high levels of dressage in the spanish riding school. They can do a perfect piaffe up to the high standards and they are not built up hill. I'm not saying I have anything against WBs I love steffen peters and ravel and weltinos magic but I see no reason an arab or lippizaner can not compete or be considered unable to compete at the same level as a WB. How many warm bloods can you see take flight like those lippizaners?
I agree with you, but would also like to point out the strenuous process of picking which horses entire the spanish riding school. They have herds of hundreds of colts, and pick I believe six of the best every year. You're right- lippizaners are not warmbloods but do amazing things in the spanish riding school. However, they are the best of the best of the breed, chosen to do specifically those things. For the record, I'm not arguing with you, your post just made me think about this and I thought it was a good thought to share. :)
Mary Liz likes this.
soenjer55 is offline  
post #19 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverspear View Post
Aye. I don't even own a warmblood and I'm probably not likely to ever do so, but I certainly understand why you would.

I also still think a well put-together draft X is a nice, slightly cheaper alternative for those wanting something with a bit of power but don't want an international FEI horse. You have to be picky and look hard for the right one, though; a lot of them are conformational disasters.

By the way, I want to seriously get into reining. Would this horse be suitable?
Agreed!
As for him being a reining horse, no, I don't think he's built for it. He's pretty darn cute, though. I want to hug him with the fluffy coat... lol.
soenjer55 is offline  
post #20 of 45 Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 178
• Horses: 2
Good point soenjer55. It makes sense you would choose the best of the best for the riding school. I like every ones different opinions everyone has a good point on either what horses are the best for what reasons or if their should be diversity. :)

"In training we must be encouraged to first establish the principles and only then to tackle the details." Dr. Reiner Klimke
Mary Liz is offline  
Reply

Tags
breeds of horses , dressage horse , horses , warmblood

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the right dressage horse for you? wild horses Dressage 14 09-21-2011 11:58 AM
Arab/Pony Dressage Bridle trade for a horse dressage bridle? Gidget Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 12-12-2010 02:11 AM
Horse Won't Do Dressage Stella Dressage 11 08-24-2010 12:27 AM
Pikeur Dressage Coat and Ariat Dressage Boots jklfarm Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 01-07-2009 09:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome