Dressage Instructors QLD - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 926
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty View Post
Well funny you mention it, he was actually talking about the German's and how they train and are able to go through horse after horse. He said over here it's very different, once you've brought a horse you HAVE to succeed with it or you'll be out of pocket and most of us can't afford to go and buy another one because the first doesn't work out.
If he was super pushy and 'beat the horse up' like a lot of the European trainers do, I guarantee Bob would have put him in hospital. He doesn't cope with being beaten up at all. Tor was great with him, very gradual with the work, and though he DID use his spur, Bob is a bit of a ******* to get off the leg so he use the spur to annoy him until he gave to it then he was left alone. Certainly no blood or broken skin - if Bob thought it was too tough there's no way he would have stood for it ;)
I'll definitely be going back to him, and as you know I'm a real stickler for correct but gentle and fair work in horses, so certainly wouldn't be going to him if I thought he was too rough :)

Thats wonderful to know! Ive met a few people that have gone to germany a soft kind rider and come back rough and forcefull. So its good to know his fair and kind but yet gets postive work out of the horse, ill deffinatley keep him in mind! Oh i completely understand with not coming off the leg Jack is the same! But i also think there is a line to be draw with enough spur. But thankyou and from what ive read on HF your kind and knowledgable so i respect your word and will deffiantely keep him in mind.

The Perfect Day-
Going to bed with a Dream
and waking up with a Purpose!
JackofDiamonds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Great job on making generalizations about the training methods in European countries based on few experiences. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason youve only seen bad trainers from Europe is because they don't generally run the good ones out of the country? The true, correct German method is far from brutal.
$0.02
Posted via Mobile Device
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,526
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty View Post
Well funny you mention it, he was actually talking about the German's and how they train and are able to go through horse after horse.

Actually that is quite true, but not in being brutal.

They simply have so many good horses that they have them come out one at a time to be trained, each done the same way and any that don't come around as quick as they feel they should are just sold off.

Basically they don't have time for the ones that don't fit. Even the Germans that came to Canada en mass about 20 odd years ago practiced this method and I saw this at MANY farms that I visited over a long period of time.

Those people that didn't have much money could get one of these rejects cheaper as they were willing to spend more time with them. Many of these were horses that required that extra bit of time to show what they had the the farms were not willing to put in.

Many good horses came from the ones that didn't "fit". But there were duds also.
Spyder is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,175
• Horses: 3
Exactly Spyder - I most certainly do not believe I had a go at the European way of training? Considering a short time ago I was offered to go over there for a few months to ride and was very upset to not be able to do so due to financial limitations - If I thought every German trainer was rough and tumble, beat the hell out of their horse to get results, I wouldn't have considered going.

It IS true, that there are some (as in every culture) that are rough about their training, and I think because of the German 'straight down the line' personality, plus their presence in the spotlight of the global dressage community, we tend to pick up on the less desirable mannerisms portrayed by some trainers there.

As for going through horses - Anebel that is NOTHING nasty towards Europe!! If the top riders there have got the $$'s to only play with the REALLY talented horses, then they CAN afford to just pass off the duds to the next rider down. WHy waste your time and effort on a horse that isn't going to make it without excessive hard work, when the next horse offered to you is Totilas?
But us 'commoners' have to make do with the horse we have got, we don't have the financial backing to just sieve through horses like they're grains of rice until the perfect, World Cup winner comes along.
Kayty is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,580
• Horses: 5
Lyn Dickson is in the Sunshine Coast, I am not sure of reviews etc but she is a level 2 coach and competes FEI, what level were you looking for?

Um, wow:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Great job on making generalizations about the training methods in European countries based on few experiences. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason youve only seen bad trainers from Europe is because they don't generally run the good ones out of the country? The true, correct German method is far from brutal.
$0.02
Posted via Mobile Device
Great job on making generalizations that all trainers that relocate from Europe are second rate or as you say 'bad'. Is Australia a world wide force in dressage? No. But neither is America. Or Canada. Or Argentina.

Some Europeans presumably leave to make their money in other countries where there is a hungry market for their talent, not just because they have been run out of their home country.

All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl.
sarahver is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,167
• Horses: 3
From what I have heard, Tor is very good with working with horses that have been mentally hurt. I would love a lesson with him but at 9-10 hours away, I just cannot do that!

Cross Country- The act of hurling yourself and your equine partner at a stationary object with poise and grace while attempting to survive...
PintoTess is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 926
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Great job on making generalizations about the training methods in European countries based on few experiences. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason youve only seen bad trainers from Europe is because they don't generally run the good ones out of the country? The true, correct German method is far from brutal.
$0.02
Posted via Mobile Device
I did not say all european training methods are cruel nor does everyone use them! Sorry you fiund it offencive i did not mean it like that, nor did i mean to disrespect German way of training. But ther are many methods in that way of training which is looked upon to be brutal compared to our way. I agree though if you have the money to throw away the duds and replace them so be it. Once again i apologise.

The Perfect Day-
Going to bed with a Dream
and waking up with a Purpose!

Last edited by JackofDiamonds; 05-25-2011 at 01:54 AM.
JackofDiamonds is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahver View Post
Lyn Dickson is in the Sunshine Coast, I am not sure of reviews etc but she is a level 2 coach and competes FEI, what level were you looking for?

Um, wow:


Great job on making generalizations that all trainers that relocate from Europe are second rate or as you say 'bad'. Is Australia a world wide force in dressage? No. But neither is America. Or Canada. Or Argentina.

Some Europeans presumably leave to make their money in other countries where there is a hungry market for their talent, not just because they have been run out of their home country.
To leave behind the leagues of horses they have to ride in their home countries?
The only countries I know of where one can make a decent living as a rider are in Europe. If one wants to make a living elsewhere by teaching and riding they better also be importing and selling a lot of horses. Very rarely will people move to the bottom feeder countries of dressage as a selfless act. Most of the German trained riders in these countries originated from those counties and travelled to Germany to train.
Anyways, that is besides the point. Germans may be efficient trainers, but they are far from brutal, at least the good ones are.
Posted via Mobile Device
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about instructors Puddintat Horse Riding 14 10-30-2010 11:58 AM
Props to you instructors. PaintsPwn Horse Talk 11 02-23-2010 11:10 PM
Debating Between Instructors vivache Horse Riding 4 11-07-2009 01:01 AM
Question about dressage instructors... and more. Gillian Dressage 3 04-19-2009 09:55 PM
Instructors and trainers claireauriga Horse Talk 0 07-26-2008 03:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome