Dressage through the decades. - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Dressage through the decades.

This is a discussion on Dressage through the decades. within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree13Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-28-2011, 11:30 PM
      #21
    Trained
    The reason that wbs became popular and not iberian horses is because they were the ones winning at the top of the sport.
    Iberians are actually being bred now more towards competition Dressage and are gaining popularity in NA. There are two ay my barn and they are lovely horses. The movement is far easier to sit than a Warmbloods.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-28-2011, 11:44 PM
      #22
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    The movement is far easier to sit than a Warmbloods.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    So in your opinion, or in anyone's opinion really.. do you believe that dressage horses are being bred specifically smoother to ride? Do you think that the level of riding (as in the quality of seat, etc.) is declining or is it purely for refining the horse? (not that I think anything needs changing gait wise.)
         
        12-29-2011, 02:57 AM
      #23
    Yearling
    It's all fashion - I've noticed that people are again buying smaller horses as they've found the bigger ones too expensive to keep.
         
        12-29-2011, 06:00 AM
      #24
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tnavas    
    It's all fashion - I've noticed that people are again buying smaller horses as they've found the bigger ones too expensive to keep.

    -grumble- tell me about it.

    When searching for a new one I wanted one under 17hh, my oldlad was 17.2hh... tried everthing, more expensive than my initial budget in case I neede to save more, smaller, same, everything. I tried Duffy out as advertised as 174cm... try 182cm.

    They do cost a lot more, feed, injections, wormers, BOOTS... I have to buy everything XXL.
         
        12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
      #25
    Trained
    I think Warmbloods have become so are outside the realm of the amateur that they are looking for something different. I get my butt hauled around the arena regularity doing the same things my friend with a Spanish horse says she has a "medium strong" contact for. I go to the gym three times a week and ride 6 to 7 days a week and am not strong enough in my back to half halt my horse properly. She does yoga once a week and her horse is in ft training and if she can't make it to the barn, her coach rides him and she is strong enough to half halt the horse. Mind you she has constant coaching and more time in the saddle by virtue of being older than me.
    So while the brain in the Spanish horses is a bit harder to "get", their movement is way easier to ride. The wbs bred for high levels are so, so tough to ride. It's like stopping a freight train with your back, every stride as you can't pull. So with a bit more tact and currently, a large pocketbook, the way to get a real am friendly Dressage horse is to go Spanish... but GOOD Spanish... the modern bred ones!

    About size - I don't like riding anything over about 16.2 because it is simply to hard. I like my little guys :P
    Posted via Mobile Device
    DuffyDuck likes this.
         
        12-29-2011, 11:15 AM
      #26
    Yearling
    I've never spent any time around or worked with Iberian horses but would consider one for my next horse somewhere down the road, so I'm quite curious about them. While I saw a couple being ridden by the Spanish team during the Olympics, I don't see many of them being shown on the "normal" amateur circuits and all the people I knew who got very serious about dressage went out and bought warmbloods, not Andalusians.

    What do you mean by the phrase "So while the brain in the Spanish horses is a bit harder to "get" ?"
         
        12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
      #27
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    I think Warmbloods have become so are outside the realm of the amateur that they are looking for something different. I get my butt hauled around the arena regularity doing the same things my friend with a Spanish horse says she has a "medium strong" contact for. I go to the gym three times a week and ride 6 to 7 days a week and am not strong enough in my back to half halt my horse properly. She does yoga once a week and her horse is in ft training and if she can't make it to the barn, her coach rides him and she is strong enough to half halt the horse. Mind you she has constant coaching and more time in the saddle by virtue of being older than me.
    So while the brain in the Spanish horses is a bit harder to "get", their movement is way easier to ride. The wbs bred for high levels are so, so tough to ride. It's like stopping a freight train with your back, every stride as you can't pull. So with a bit more tact and currently, a large pocketbook, the way to get a real am friendly Dressage horse is to go Spanish... but GOOD Spanish... the modern bred ones!

    About size - I don't like riding anything over about 16.2 because it is simply to hard. I like my little guys :P
    Posted via Mobile Device

    The other thing to note, I don't know if its the same for you, but we get a LOT of dodgy spanish horses that are supposed to flick they're feet out, walk on stilts and have a dip in their nose from a wire (Not all, but some that are imported) from a barbaric form of teaching.

    As mentioned getting in to the brains of theses horses are a lot harder, I don't know if I would reccomend one for a first time horse owner, but if you know what you're doing they're lovely, very rewarding horses.

    I know about hard xD Trying to get Duffy to move from behind rather than dig down in the front has been my biggest challenge yet.. and she's so looongggg
         
        12-29-2011, 11:37 AM
      #28
    Yearling
    Harder in what way? I've worked with QHs, warmbloods, Arabs, TBs, appys, all sorts, where for whatever reason, the horse was harder work than another horse might be to train. Is there something distinctive about the Iberians? For the sake of argument, lets assume we're talking about one who is well treated and has not acquired any issues related to dodgy training.
         
        12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
      #29
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesilverspear    
    Harder in what way? I've worked with QHs, warmbloods, Arabs, TBs, appys, all sorts, where for whatever reason, the horse was harder work than another horse might be to train. Is there something distinctive about the Iberians? For the sake of argument, lets assume we're talking about one who is well treated and has not acquired any issues related to dodgy training.

    I suppose it depends where, what, who when sort of thing.

    They're one of the smarter breeds I know (we had two andy's on our yard and one would always pick the locks, undo rugs, plaits.. mischief makers!) and if you look a lot in to the lusitano breed, they're very loyal, very good family horses. But for me I always find you mess one of these horse's up, it takes longer for them to come back round.

    I've only met ones imported from Spain, they have hard attitudes, and they're worse than marey-mares. You have to keep working on that position of top dog all the time, one screw up and they leap all over it.

    I love my Duffy, don't get me wrong.. but she certainly isn't the brightest horse in the world...
         
        12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
      #30
    Yearling
    See, you're just selling them to me now. I like smart, and I'm more than used to it, as my horse is very clever and also very alpha. She stays in her place, right enough, but even to this day, will be like, "What happens if I maaaaaybe think about leaning my shoulder into you?" Doesn't need massive correcting, just a gentle shift in your energy asking her to move away, and she says, "Okay, you're still in charge."

    That's a digression anyway from the original topic of your thread, sorry.

    Why do you think the imported ones are harder to handle? Do you reckon it's a breed characteristic or the way they're trained? A hot, high performance WB isn't particularly easy to handle, either.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bobby's Dressage Bridle, dressage gifts and more from $6 jklfarm Tack and Equipment Classifieds 8 08-31-2011 12:31 AM
    pikeur dressage jacket and dressage boots bubblzoo292 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 08-31-2009 03:50 PM
    Pikeur Dressage Coat and Ariat Dressage Boots jklfarm Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 01-07-2009 09:22 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0