Dressage through the decades. - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Dressage

Dressage through the decades.

This is a discussion on Dressage through the decades. within the Dressage forums, part of the English Riding category
  • The decades of dressage

Like Tree13Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-06-2012, 02:26 PM
  #41
Green Broke
I guess I'm really lucky! You can find any and every sort out here, but they tend to be €100 up, which is pricey, but not overly bad to be fair!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  #42
Weanling
I had the same problem and had to spend more than I wanted to, but now I just have to school in my 'show' bridle. (And take better care of it...sigh)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  #43
Started
Both of my dressage bridles (well all three actually - two are exactly the same bridle) have crank nosebands and flash attachments. I take the flash off and never EVER "crank" the crank. I personally like the look and fit of the crank but I would never use it as a leverage piece like I have seen done at times.
     
    01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
  #44
Yearling
I don't like th 'bulkiness' of the crank - for me I like everything streamlined - but with straps wide enough to compliment the horse. This is another thing that is being difficult to find - my mare is a Clydesdale and while pretty she needs a wider strapping to make her look smart. Her competition bridle will definitely have to be made for her - I also prefer brown so will have to start the hunt for one.

If anyone knows of a good site to visit that has quality bridles - preferably without tacky medallion type labels on them please let me know.
     
    01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
  #45
Green Broke
Tnavas, I have a local shop, but they also deliver to UK. I'll find the link the bridles.. its not their whole selection, in shop they have hundreds!

Pferd, Trensen und Kandaren - Reitsport-Exclusiv

The different sections have different types of bridles, I don't know the translations.. heck I think we call a crank a Swedish nose band.. who knows rofl.. have fun!
     
    01-07-2012, 12:19 AM
  #46
Trained
My competition bridle has a crank noseband - and like crimson, I NEVER 'crank' it. I just like the ease of doing it up, the padded back on it and the look of it. But it is adjusted as loosely as a cavesson.
It does irk me a little when people jump up and down if your horse has a crank on, just because it's there, does NOT mean your horse has a mouth problem and you're clamping its jaw shut.
crimsonsky likes this.
     
    01-07-2012, 12:29 AM
  #47
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
blu eyed pony - so totally agree with you - having just spent the day travelling around the areas saddlery stores trying to find a cavesson noseband for my horse. I'm going to have to have one made! Grrr

Also agree that to many horses these days have their mouths jammed shut - the lady I trained with - an International Dressage judge would not let us use anything but a snaffle and cavesson. Anything else showed off the fact your horse had a mouth problem.
I with I could use a plain cavesson but O/S isn't big enough for my horse.. he's on the last (first) hole so I usually have to punch one between the start of the tip and the hole.. so it barely makes it through the keeper.

When I get a job, I need to order a very super duper custom bridle for him. But for now he gets to have one that fits everything else fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky    
both of my dressage bridles (well all three actually - two are exactly the same bridle) have crank nosebands and flash attachments. I take the flash off and never EVER "crank" the crank. I personally like the look and fit of the crank but I would never use it as a leverage piece like I have seen done at times.
Yeah me either, I can fit 1-2 fingers in there easily, but like I said above, I had to punch holes to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
My competition bridle has a crank noseband - and like crimson, I NEVER 'crank' it. I just like the ease of doing it up, the padded back on it and the look of it. But it is adjusted as loosely as a cavesson.
It does irk me a little when people jump up and down if your horse has a crank on, just because it's there, does NOT mean your horse has a mouth problem and you're clamping its jaw shut.
Very true! My horse doesn't have a mouth issue and my instructor wants me to use the flash portion. I just kind of was left with the crank option because they didn't have O/S and the O/S they had wasn't big enough.

He seems happy in it and it fits better than the horse sized one :)
     
    01-07-2012, 08:30 AM
  #48
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas    
To get this they crossed the farm working horses (coldbloods) with TB's and Arabians (Hotbloods) and developed a warmblood - mix of hot and cold! In the UK these were refered to as Hunters.
.
No they are not a Traditional hunter would not contain any draft blood (it would have been social suicide). The Hunter used to be a TB. We stilll have national hunt racing and point to pointing and it is all TB's.

The modern hunter will normaly contain ISH crosses but now a days a hunter is anything that will jump the fences (including native ponies and warmbloods)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
It isn't JUST the animals that have changed but the tack also.

I could remember that the only "good" dressage saddle was a Stubben and it was as hard as nails. The most uncomfortable saddle I ever sat on. I never made a dressage saddle purchase until many years later...and it was NOT a Stubben.
I used to have an old stuuben, there is a reason they are called A*se crackers! Like sitting on a knife!

Quote:
The bridle itself has changed. At one time there was the Cavesson or dropped nose band and that was it. Figure eight wasn't legal. Also the bits were very restrictive and double jointed ones were not even legal. It was straight bar or single jointed...and if the horse didn't work well in these, you made do.
The grackle still isnt legal. The flash however has become fasionable



In the UK it is quite easy to find good quality bridles without the flash attachments, it is only when you go for the cheapy bridles that you will struggle. This is because in showing in the UK the only noseband allowed is the cavesson!
DuffyDuck likes this.
     
    01-07-2012, 01:33 PM
  #49
Yearling
Faye - you are very wrong about the English Hunter - they were rarely TB's but mostly well bred crossbreds - bred to travel fast across country, be sane and stay sound and often carry a heavy man. Ever seen a TB with 9+ inches of bone?

Point to Point were the races that horses had to qualify for by being hunted so many times - I forget how many now.

Ever heard of the Hunter Improvement Society? It was started to give Hunter breeders the opportunity to use good quality TB's. It's only in the most recent years that the TB is being used for anything but racing.
     
    01-07-2012, 02:46 PM
  #50
Green Broke
Tnavas, I think you will find you are wrong on this one. I live in the UK, I hunt, I currently show hunters!
Not all TB's are light weight, or built for racing. I personaly know of a nice 16.2hh failed race horse who you would easily mistake for a fairly hefty WB. She is currently doing Para dressage!

A HW hunter with 9 inches of bone would be irish bred normaly.

Point to points, yes the horses have to have hunted a certain amount of times but you will find that they are all TB's in any half decent race. I know because I have friends who own, breed and train point to pointers.

The H.I.S no longer exists it is now Sports horse breeding uk. The Hunter when the H.I.S existed was a TB if you where anyone of note then you rode a TB and nothing else! A farmer may have hunted a cob or something with cob blood but no one else. The modern hunter will often have other blood, normaly ISH blood in it. Infact the Ideal mix for the modern hunter in the UK is 7/8TB, 1/8th Irish!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bobby's Dressage Bridle, dressage gifts and more from $6 jklfarm Tack and Equipment Classifieds 8 08-30-2011 11:31 PM
pikeur dressage jacket and dressage boots bubblzoo292 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 08-31-2009 02:50 PM
Pikeur Dressage Coat and Ariat Dressage Boots jklfarm Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 01-07-2009 08:22 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0